What annoys you? (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Malcolm R said:
Also, those who don't understand the concept of "right on red," though I do understand that's not the rule everywhere so we can maybe make an exception for visitors/tourists. But for those who live in a state where it is allowed, there's no excuse.
Slight tangent: The only place I've ever been that doesn't allow it is actually my current home, New York City. I don't have a car here so I don't really have an opinion on it one way or the other, except - if you're a non-resident driving through, how are you supposed to know that you're not allowed to do it here when it's allowed in most other places? There's a very tiny sign when you enter NYC that says it, but could easily be missed. NYC should have more visible signage telling people they can't turn right on red here. Its hard for me to find fault with the tourists who occasionally get in my way as a pedestrian doing it, because if someone had never told me about it, I never would have even thought to guess.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Hmmm. Where do I start??

-People with the attitude "I can do it to you but you better not do it to me".

-People who park in handicap spots who aren't handicapped.

-Littering

-Parking in the fire lane in front of the store because they are too lazy to park in a parking spot.

-People who use those sit down motorized shopping carts just because they are overweight and lazy.

-Texting, reading books, etc.. while driving.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Malcolm R said:
Drivers who don't understand the concept of the center turning lane. With two-way traffic, and a center lane dedicated to people wanting to make left turns so they can get out of the travel lane and not hold up thru traffic while they're waiting to turn. Some dummies just come to a complete stop in the travel lane, blocking all traffic, rather than moving into the dedicated turning lane so that traffic behind them can keep moving.

Also, those who don't understand the concept of "right on red," though I do understand that's not the rule everywhere so we can maybe make an exception for visitors/tourists. But for those who live in a state where it is allowed, there's no excuse.

I could probably fill this thread with driving-related annoyances. Many drivers seem to be fundamentally stupid.

Here's another: Merging. It's different from a yielding situation, though there are still people who insist on coming to a stop at a yield sign, even if the way is clear; I've seen this almost cause accidents. Usually entering a high speed expressway/interstate. People are ready to accelerate if it's clear, not stop!

Back to a merging situation, there is no yield sign because you have your own lane for an extended period, though you may have to gradually merge into another lane. There is absoultely no reason, and in fact very dangerous to stop in that situation. I understand some are very cautious drivers, but when it is actually more dangerous they need to get a clue.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Alf S said:
Seeing these silly looking Tour De France wannabes riding on our already clogged and NON-BIKE FRIENDLY roadways slowing down the flow of traffic while people try to safely go around them. Worse is when they do it at rush hour. Stay off the road and stick to the miles of bike trails we already have!!

8017584_G.jpg

I could see that but at the same time I see cars who don't even see cyclists on the side of the road and nearly run them over. The roads are not only for automobiles.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Kevin Hewell said:
The roads are not only for automobiles.
I agree but a huge number of bicyclists that I see want it both ways- they want to ride on the road but they seemingly want to pick and choose the traffic laws that they abide by. They're a vehicle while on the road but when they arrive at red lights, no turn on red, etc., they're suddenly just a bike again and don't have to pay attention to dumb laws anymore.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I agree but a huge number of bicyclists that I see want it both ways- they want to ride on the road but they seemingly want to pick and choose the traffic laws that they abide by. They're a vehicle while on the road but when they arrive at red lights, no turn on red, etc., they're suddenly just a bike again and don't have to pay attention to dumb laws anymore.

This. All day long.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TravisR said:

Agreed. I was shocked a few days ago...shocked!...when a bicyclist coming up behind me as I was stopped at a red light actually stopped in the queue of traffic, rather than weaving in and out of traffic and blasting through the red light with barely a glance or pause.

I was ready to be annoyed at him, but was actually impressed. One of the very few that I've ever seen that actually operated his bicycle according to the rules of the road. If they were all like that, there would be no problems. But most are as Travis describes.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I think if we are going to pick at what annoys people other than ourselves than this thread is destined for closure. If it annoys somebody but not you than it just is what is - I wouldn't read too much into it.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Oh, lots of driving stuff.

People who line up in the left (or right) go-straight lane at a red light and block the added left (or right) turn lane, forcing people to stack up behind them and miss the turn light when it turns green. This happens to me during my morning commute all the time and it drives me nuts. You can sit at an intersection for 2-3 extra minutes sometimes.

And, of course, traveling well below the limit in the left lane. This often happens on the highway when someone gets next to a large truck and seems to be afraid to actually pass it.

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Skateboards! The most annoying sound in the world to me is that scraping on the pavement/ball bearing sound! That and guys who are far to old to be riding the damn things in the first place! When you are old enough to drive a car it's time to hang up the skateboard and when you are old enough to drink you've REALLY got no business being on one!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Finding out orders from a California Merchant that take weeks to arrive at my Mailbox, only take a few days to arrive at another Canadian location that's just a 4 hour drive away! :angry:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Annoying:

Calling into AT&T, waiting on hold for 20 minutes, then finally get an uber happy CSR who says he'll review all my new phone options. He says "Oh yes, you can get a new phone at no charge (S5 or G3) other than a one time upgrade fee. He says I will not incur any other monthly fees. I tell him it sounds good, but asked him why phone sales folks at Best Buy and similar shops were claiming that I'd lose some discounts if I ever got a new phone? He said "Let me double check your data plan..blah blah blah." So he puts me on hold.

Yep, you guessed it, he just tossed me back into the phone cue and was gone. After about 5 minutes another woman came on and had no idea what happened and wanted to start to review process all over. Sure enough, she says what BB says, I will be charged an additional $15-$25 per month if I get any new phones on our plan. UGH!

Idiots!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Alf S said:
Annoying:

Calling into AT&T, waiting on hold for 20 minutes, then finally get an uber happy CSR who says he'll review all my new phone options. He says "Oh yes, you can get a new phone at no charge (S5 or G3) other than a one time upgrade fee. He says I will not incur any other monthly fees. I tell him it sounds good, but asked him why phone sales folks at Best Buy and similar shops were claiming that I'd lose some discounts if I ever got a new phone? He said "Let me double check your data plan..blah blah blah." So he puts me on hold.

Yep, you guessed it, he just tossed me back into the phone cue and was gone. After about 5 minutes another woman came on and had no idea what happened and wanted to start to review process all over. Sure enough, she says what BB says, I will be charged an additional $15-$25 per month if I get any new phones on our plan. UGH!

Idiots!

Same thing when dealing with Comcast about trying to get your bill amount down. Talk to 10 different people and get 10 different answers. I like when you call back later to check why your changes haven't been implemented, and they tell you the CS rep wasn't authorized to give you that deal! It's not customer service, it's customer appeasement to get you off the phone, then they charge you what they want.

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cliff
Kevin Hewell said:
Boo Hoo! How many of you actually have ridden a bike on a busy city street?

I have and when you do, you're on your own so breaking a few of the laws here becomes a necessity just to survive the ride. Otherwise I do follow the laws when I'm trying to be run over... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks