What's new

What amp do you recommend for the B&W FPM6 speakers? (1 Viewer)

relm1

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have a question - what is a good sound source for the B&W FPM6 speakers? The budget is $500-1500 and I mostly listen to acoustic music such as jazz, orchestra, piano, nora jones, etc. Every now and then I'd like some good heavy sounds for DVD watching and rock music. I only have the main speakers now but plan to add on rears and a subwoofer so would also like a surround unit.

Thanks!

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Wow, wide ranging budget

Any of the Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo offerings in a surround receiver in the $500-$1500 range will be quite adequate however...

I'd like to propose something to you that's a little out of the ordinary... Emotiva. (www.emotiva.com)

Seeing as you only have the two front speakers now and you appear to be a "critical" listener (jazz, orchestra), I'd recommend you pick up an Emotiva USP-1 two channel pre-amp ($399) and an Emotiva UPA-2 two channel amp ($329). Once you upgrade to more speakers, you can pick up an Emotiva UMC-1 multi-channel pre-amp ($699) and add the Emotiva UPA-5 5-channel amp ($429).

Bang for buck, Emotiva is some top gear. I'm running B&W speakers on a UMC-1 and XPA-5/UPA-2 and have been loving the experience (previous to Emotiva I was running my set-up with a Rotel RSX-1067).

Cheers, JB

relm1

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
Is Emotiva a reliable and versatile product? I've not heard of the brand before.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by relm1

Is Emotiva a reliable and versatile product? I've not heard of the brand before.

It's a direct internet company, not found in stores. Reliable? I haven't had any issues with my Emotiva gear in the year I've owned it. Some have experience small quality of finish issues (i.e. led lights that don't light up on the amps) but that don't seem to affect the quality of sound but report that Emotiva is quick to fix.

Emotiva is also a site sponsor and used by many on the board. Also, at the price they sell their gear, you have almost nothing to lose.

JB

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would give John's suggestion some real consideration. One difference, if you plan to eventually go surround, I would just start with the UMC-1 instead of a stereo pre-amp and run two channels to start. It is still in your budget and will save money in the long run. In the meantime you will have phantom modes available for video sources, which will work better than straight 2 channel. Then you add another amp for center and surrounds when you expand the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks