What's new

What $1,000 sound systems should I be looking at? (1 Viewer)

Russell Volz

Agent
I'm purchasing a Sanyo Z2 projector and Denon 910 DVD. My room is 12x12. I'm going to be using the sound system for DVDs and on rare occasion CDs. I'm budgeting a $1,000 for the sound system, but haven't a clue where to start. What features are important and what systems do you recommend? When replying please don't use to many acronyms. I'm real new at this. Thanks a ton!

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Russel,
Are you talking $1,000 for receiver and speakers combined?

There are some package deals around.......let us know.

Russell Volz

Agent
I was thinking a $1,000 for receiver and speakers. Since we only watch DVDs having a good system is important to us, but it doesn't have to be "great". Will $1,000 do the trick? What should I be looking at?

Greg_sford

Agent
Real Name
Greg
Russell, I'm new at this too, but you seem off to a great start. Some rules of thumb I've seen floating around:
1)budget 10% for wiring ($100)
2)spend twice on your speakers ($600) as you do your receiver ($300).

But then rules are made to be broken:D .

Since your room is not too big, and your mostly doing movies, a good sub/satelitte system might be your best speaker choice. Sound and Vision recently looked at some $300 receivers here:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1

good luck!

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
This is what I wish I would have done, so maybe this will help.

When on as limited of a budget as that, just buy the sub, receiver, and 2 speakers, for stereo. Then save up some more and buy the remaining speakers. You will have to wait longer, but you will have better equipment in the end, and something in between buying the first pieces and finishing it off. Also: You don't have to buy the sub right-of-the-bat either!

I wish I would have done that. I would have better stuff now...

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd say the same thing as ChadLB except get the Adire Rave subwoofer (same price). Might also consider the SX-HTB from Fluance instead of the JBL NSP1. The Fluance package comes w/ tower mains, center, and surrounds in a nice honey finish. It's also got great reviews here on HTF, especially for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks