What's new

Wharfedale Diamond series (1 Viewer)

I've been reading here for a while, and I've read that most everyone who has listened to Wharfedale has agreed that for the price they are really good speakers. I've been aware of the Diamond 8 series for a while but have recently found about about the Diamond 9 series...
Does anyone know if the Diamond 9 is worth the extra money.

The componets i'm look at are:

2 pair Diamond 8.1 vs 2 pair Diamond 9.1
Diamond 8 Center vs Diamond 9 CS center
two Diamond 8.4 vs two Diamond 9.5

The proposed amp will be either a Denon 2105 or Denon 2805, i haven't decided yet, and i have a post concerning which to choose in the reciever area. But if the reciever choice would make a difference, please let me know

Thanks
Daniel

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Maybe you can find a Bitt mag review of one, or all of the speaks and 2 subs in the new 9-D line. As far as which line has the better speakers, just not enough owner/user/demo/reviewer info out their as of yet.
I know the smaller lower powered sub from the 9-D line has been reviewed by a mag and got a decent review. Not an earth shaker, but accurate and decent extension to around 28-30Hz.
It's the smaller sub...

The bigger more powerfull one, front controls & remoted controlled, no review that I know of.

The D-8 line is a solid speaker line and prices "might get better now" that the D-9 line is out. Not sure if their even available here in the US yet, "meaning in stock and shipping". They are selling over the water already, and in stock of course.

The D-9 line, now having been totaly re-designed with curved cabinets, new drivers, better supposed crossovers, and now including dedicated midranges on some speaks, (specifcally the Center is of intrest for many), it should be interesting what users/owners, and mag reveivers find. Surely to be compared to the D-8 line by most, and other speaks brands of course in and around their price point.

How much better sounding will they be, just not enough info out to make a solid call on "anything".! They look nice & that much is about all that can be said, and thats subjective also to whos looking at them. The 2 choices of real wood veneer is a nice touch also...

Given the Diamond line has been around forever and won a bazillon awards, I'd expect the new D-9 line "should" sound better. THIS, given Wharf is ~{messing with a speaker line that already works and has proven it's performance}~ very well at it's price point.

Maybe if your lucky someone here has had a chance to hear both the 8 & 9 D-lines side by side..

Regards
Geoff ¥

I get what you're saying... I can get the D-8 's in Hickory, NC from an authorized dealer, as a matter of fact i have had the chance to demo the 8.1 's at my home and was very inmpressed, i'm not sure of what my price is going to be, because i've yet to talk to the dealer, but i expect it will be at dealer cost.

thanks
Daniel

Axu R

Agent
I've got 5x 9.1 with a Sony DB790. I really like them, though my concretewall room and the acoustics suck big time.

My friend has 2x 9.4 and 2x 9.1 same amp. He likes them..

Another friend has 2x 8.2, a center and 2x 8.1. I've never listened these side by side, so I can speak only for 9.1s.

It is said though by MANY people (all I know of) that 9-series in general is "lot" better. At least they look tidier, 4 color choices at least in UK, and they sound very nice for the price too. I didn't do much comparison though, Tannoy Fusion1 sounded clearer, so 9-series continues little on the "dark" side of sound. These extend in my room surprisingly low, 40Hz -6db, they are a bit boomy because too close to the wall but I'm going to close the ports.. (They're set to small 'cause of the little, black SV box taking care of lower notes.)

On our finnish forum one or two guys have 9.5s and they love them at least. If possible, put 9.2 in the center with them. Forget those "real" centers, they're more expensive and sound different. (at least some say so, I didn't test this) But if you prefer the CS, than go for it of course! It's in the ear and eye of a beholder.

What's strange, both series are somewhat equally priced here in the North. In UK 9-series is even more expensive than here, UK designed speaker hmmm.. I'd say go for the brand new series, at least they've got better resale figures if you feel like upgrading someday. I'll take their word on their better overall quality, guess they wouldn't otherwise upgrade nice speakers.

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/diamond9/range.htm

P.S. The finish on these is superb for the buck, lot nicer than the 8s (or Tannoy Fusions which are more expensive.) Dark oak looks even better than mine! :D

Edit: here are the pics: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/honeyd...aa83/my_photos

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Your Pic links are not working,,, (for me at least)....?

Wharf link works fine..

Axu R

Agent
I apologise, they're at yahoo.com guess the server is often busy.. Here's some other pics.

I added link to upper post for the pics.. Linking didn't work somehow.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
What wood color do they call yours?

White Oak, Lite Maple, Other...

Always hard to tell with pic's and of course rarely do pictures (pro photograpers aside) and shot from a distance do the speakers real justice to their true veneer color & fit/finish.

You got alot of goodies in that smallish room. Should crack the plaster/concrete in that place with your bass tranducing unit..;)

Thanks for the pic's, first anyone has shots and any type of opinion on any of the new D-9 line...

Cheers
Geoff ¥

Axu R

Agent

Ahem, it's an apartment.. This way I can eat, cook, sleep, watch tv & dvd 5.1, play music, surf the net etc all in one room. :D (Bathroom is surely separate)

I think color was maple, bad memory. Click "brochure" at the Wharfe-link, there are nice pics also. Mine are pretty bad, cheap camera and a bad lighting.

That "dark oak" is REALLY nice when I saw them live, wow.. My room does match with these better, but otherwise.. There seems to be 5 (!) colors in the line, but here I've seen only two of them available. You can't find a single seam in these.

Dark oak

If you get 8-series 30% cheaper, you should consider them. Otherwise go for the new, I know I would. :) You knew that first Diamonds were born in 1981?

P.S. These sound warm to me, Denon is said to have a bright sound. They could compensate each other well. My DB-Sony plays them really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks