What's new

Wharfedale 9's vs JBL Venue Series for 1st Home Theater (1 Viewer)

JJJAcres

Auditioning
Real Name
James Johnson
Hello, I'm new here, but have already spent a few hours in the archives...mind blowing...

I'm looking for speakers for a 1st time home theater setup...I purchased a Harman Kardon AVR-247 and need help in choosing reasonably priced, good sounding speakers.
Through my research & a price range of around $1,000 for the speakers, I've basically narrowed it down to:

1) Wharfedale - Diamond Series
2 x 9.1 - front
2 x 9.SR - rear
1 x 9.CS - center
1 x SW150 - sub

or

2) JBL - Venue Series
2 x Stage - front
2 x Balcony - rear
1 x Voice - center
1 x Sub 10 - sub

Problem is, I live way out in the sticks and don't think I'll be able to audition the speakers...good thing is, I'll probably never know the difference.

Any insight into making a blind choice between these 2 lines?

Should I just order a pair of fronts & try them out risking less money?

Other, possibly better choices I should look into?

Probably 80% home theater vs. 20% music listening.

Any help or just opinions will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks in advance,
JJJ

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Hi James. I have JBL's and love them , so my suggestion is to go with them. I not familiar with the Wharfdales so I can't comment on them. The only thing I would do differently if I were you is to pass on the JBL sub. You can probably get a good sub in your price range from SVS and have a way better subwoofer. I know because I started out with a JBL PB12 and upgraded to the SVS PB12-Plus. The SVS blew away the JBL. I think the JBL's would be a great starter set for you and I don't think you would be dissappointed.

JJJAcres

Auditioning
Real Name
James Johnson
Thanks for the info Gary...I found out last night that Best Buy (I know...) stocks the JBL's and there's one located about 50 miles from me so I'll probably make a trip this weekend to listen...

Where would I purchase the SVS sub? Online?

Anyone else care to offer an opinion...?

Thanks,
JJJ

JJJAcres

Auditioning
Real Name
James Johnson
Just looked up the SVS...seems to be $800'ish...is the JBL sub that bad?
I need to stay around $1,000 for the whole speaker setup including the sub...

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
James. It's not that the JBL is that bad, it just does not compare to the SVS. If you want to go with the JBL sub, I suggest moving up from the PB10 to the PB12. The only reason I suggested going with something other than the JBL is because of the problems they've had with the amps in them. Thats the reason I replaced mine. After about 3 years of use I started getting a thumping noise out of it, sooo, I moved on. That does'nt mean however you will experience the same thing. I'll just say if I were you, I'd plan on upgrading to something like the SVS a couple of years down the road. You won't regret it. As a matter of fact, you'll probably say to yourself, why did'nt I do this sooner! On another note, you can probably get the JBL's online a whole lot cheaper than at Best Buy. I'd suggest B&H Photo online. They've got a nice selection of the JBL's and the price is right. Keep me posted on what you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks