What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

WB Film Noir, Volume 4 (1 Viewer)

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

I think "When Strangers Marry" goes by the alternative title "Betrayed". All three are interesting films. However, "The Big Steal" reteams Mitchum with Jane Greer from "Out of the Past". I think "The Big Steal" is a minor classic and quite a bit better than the other two films. Let's hope "The Big Steal" is the one being included. A set with "The Big Steal" and "Where Danger Lives" included would be a home run.

Last night I watched "Angel Face" from the Mitchum box set I recently purchased. Warners' did a fabulous job on that DVD. The picture was stunning, and Muller's commentary was interesting and infomative.

As far as future Mitchum releases, I really hope that sometime soon Warners gets around to issuing Mitchum's great RKO westerns, "Blood on the Moon", and "The Lusty Men" These are not only two of Mitchum's best films, they are two of the best films that Warners has in it's catalog that remained unreleased on DVD. Another Mitchum RKO western "Rachel and the Stranger" is also quite good.

c Jim Bur

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
IMO, I think When Strangers Marry is on par with The Big Steal and offers an early clue to the type of characters that Mitchum could play in future roles. This is no slight towards the latter film, but I don't want When Strangers Marry to get shortchanged because I think it's a good film.

Crawdaddy

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

Make that "had" when it comes to Fox, since they've apparently decided to drop their noir series. Still pissed about that, personally.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Not a noir title but another underrated Mitchum entry that I hope will see the light of day in the Mitchum Vol. 2 set is the 1953 thriller Second Chance directed by Rudolph Mate. Originally filmed in 3D, Linda Darnell is on the lam from the mob in Mexico with hitman Jack Palance in hot pursuit. Mitchum is the boxer who comes to her rescue and there's a pretty exciting finale on a cable car stuck over an abyss.

It's an RKO film, so Warners has the rights.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

No idea, mate. There was supposed to be another wave, which would have included "The Brasher Doubloon" (an Eddie Muller commentary had already been recorded), plus they still hadn't reissued the previously-pulled "Boomerang." I don't believe there's been an actual announcement that the line has been cancelled, but that's the word on the street.

ted:r

Second Unit
A lot of studios (with the obvious exceptions of Warners and Criterion) never announce anything has ended. They are there and then they are not for whatever reason they decide. The only reason people actually believe that they have ended a series is that there was a followable pattern of releases and then they stopped. Why they are so close mouthed to people who would rush to support their releases (and, to be fair, criticize their lapses...see the flack WB is getting for one missing line in "Performance") is beyond me.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Craig, I don't honestly think it can be called film noir. Thriller pretty much sums it up.

It's in color, not B&W. Darnell is a damsel in distress not a femme fatale. The most noirish thing about it is how the hitman (Palance) is in love with or at least attracted to the woman (Darnell) he's supposed to kill.

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Serena

"Imagine all the pre-codes... on DVD todaaaay..." ;) Oh yeah! I wish. I'm very excited about this larger film noir boxset, I've seen & liked about half of them and am eager to see the others. Especially happy that "Tension" is included and some films that never made it to VHS, so I never expected DVDs... what a nice surprise!

AlexNoir

Agent
Any news on a date for this? I haven't bought either Volumes 2 or 3, but Volume 1 was stellar and I'll probably pick up 3 this week when I get paid.

Corey

Screenwriter

It'll most likely come in July like past sets. If so, we should have an announcement next month.

Corey

Screenwriter

I hate playing catch up with these sets. I just bought the first Errol Flynn set and now I have to buy the first Doris Day Collection, Bette Davis Vol 2, and Classic Musicals Vol 3 and I shall be finished playing catch up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymous01
Recent bookmarks