What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warners opens the vaults again - Picture of Dorian Gray (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Kevin L McCorry said:
Is this going to be BD-R or pressed BD? If it's the latter, then I'm in.I wonder if Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde might be far behind. Both the 1931 and 1941 versions on the same disc, of course.
WAC has not released a BR-r yet. All of their BRD's have been pressed. I wonder why this question keeps coming up.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'm sure it's a holdover from the DVD archive MOD discs. They did it first, didn't they? The MOD program? I'm sure people just hear Warner Archive and equate them with burned rather than pressed discs

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
lukejosephchung said:
Every Warner Archive blu-ray release has been from pressing runs...they find that BD-R's are unreliable and won't manufacture using that method...
It's an easy mistake for people to make though as it's confusing to have two separate labels (one which was "born" from burned discs) with absolutely no difference between the two other than marketing.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Will Krupp said:
It's an easy mistake for people to make though as it's confusing to have two separate labels (one which was "born" from burned discs) with absolutely no difference between the two other than marketing.
They also are producing a lot pressed DVDs on the initial run of popular titles.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
If they started doing BD-rs, wouldn't they just drop the DVD-rs altogether and release everything on a BD-r? Almost all of their new MOD releases now are sourced from 2K video masters.

They've been releasing standard blu-rays for almost 2 years, it should be common knowledge by now. Easiest thing to do is to just check the Amazon.com listing and see if they if the following disclaimer is added under the product details.

"This product is manufactured on demand using BD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply"

If not, it's a standard blu-ray.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Of course the issue of whether it is burned or pressed is a two-edged sword.

It is conceivable that if they had a reliable BD-R process and started burning them, then they could offer a broader range of titles since risk on a given title would be reduced. This was exactly the premise behind DVD-R in the first place.

The Warner Archive also has a lifetime guarantee I think.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
the color inserts , elevate this, it's already great, but those moments take it to a surreal place that wouldn't have worked as well, otherwise

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
classicmovieguy said:
Warner Archive can't find the plug and the releases spring forth like water from a stream. Somebody, please make sure that plug is NEVER found. This is crazy-wonderful.
I tweeted a thank you to Warner Archive yesterday, and they responded "We are trying to get these out at a quicker pace". A good sign for 2015 (I hope).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That's really great news. I'll certainly buy every single one of these classics from the 1940s and 1950s as soon as they're announced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks