What's new

WarnerArchive.com to release: Maverick, 77 Sunset Strip, Bourboun Street Beat et al (1 Viewer)

I'll put my two cents in and say that this just may be a very good thing...But alas, as a Canadian I have to say "thanks for nothing"....all the films I checked out on the site said "Ships to U.S. Destinations Only".

I'm nowhere near the border... I can't just get a p.o. box over the line....Maybe they'll sort it out one day but I don't see it happening quickly. Maybe I'll just watch stuff on Hulu..... oh wait a minute.... I can't do that either.."Content not available in your area"

Jim

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I'm wondering if we'll see a large quanity of the RKO,MONOGRAM and MGM Films owned by Warners.

My educated guess is I'd say if a film has been aired on TCM or a tv old in syndication (Like to GoodlifeTV/AmericanLife/Encore) we can expect it to at least be accessable. I don't really see them striking up new prints to sell a couple of thousand copies. (so don't expect to see "Colt 45" or "The Dakotas" anytime soon!)

Be interesting to know what type of DVD-R media they are using.

What I also find interesting is they haven't gone down the download route
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Per tonight's chat the Warner Archive films will soon be available worldwide for films Warner has the worldwide rights, which is most of the films.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I hope some of the other studios: Universal, Paramount, Fox will join WB on the bandwagon and put some of their "B-listers" on this.

I would love WB to put out Wizards and Warriors, Young Maverick, Superboy, Duck Dodgers and a few other beloved programs that didn't quite get renewals.

Yeah! I know that'll be quite awhile down the turnpike.

James Smith

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Of the movies currently available, I only want "Doc Savage:Man of Bronze". As soon as I get my next paycheck!!!

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
It's a neat idea, but we have to consider the looming spectre of copyright here. If you're encouraging your customers to burn discs, does that mean you can keep a copy on your computer in case the DVD-R goes bad? And on top of this, does this mean there will be a way to 'distribute' these? I don't want to crap on a good idea, but there has to be something about this that we aren't getting initially here.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Warner aren't encouraging customers to do the burning: the article said Warner would be doing the burning themselves and that, like "real" (i.e. pressed/stamped) DVDs, they would be copy protected, so the discs would be no easier to replicate than normal DVDs.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Here's a troubling post I ran across on Roobarb's forum (zetaminor.com/roobarb):

One of the guys on the CHB just got a title from the Archives and has this to say:

So, unless it's something that's never been on home video or reruns (which might necessitate making new transfers), I'd be skeptical of the quality of any TV releases that come down the pipeline.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I'm sure the quality will vary from movie to movie but did you really expect to see a positive review on the internet? The internet seems to be a race to be the first person to say "THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!" so it's not too surprising to see a negative review right now. Once more titles and reviews come out, I think you'll get a more balanced look at the situation.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Surely that one is big enough a title to warrant a proper DVD release, at least I think it is.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Yeah the movies are really a high msrp. But I guess if you want classic tv you are gonna have to pay for it.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Well I'll be ripping them to digital copies as soon as I get them and storing the originals.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

To tell you the truth I'd almost rather them go the DL route, give me .99 and episode, which would make most of the older series between 30 and 40 bucks. I'll burn my own disks. Don't tie them to any major player or format make them multiformat accessible.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
only because they mentioned the possibility that they would also put out tv series the same way.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am hoping for some shows that are more recent that had their first seasons released and then stopped(Superboy) and shows who may not be normally released....ie-Time Trax.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
One of the reasons I buy DVDs is so I can watch now and anytime in the future I want. Meaning possibly up to 30-40 years from now. Pressed DVDs have a shot at providing this, but I don't trust DVD-R's to last this long. And I don't want to have to rip and burn my own copies of purchased DVD-R's just to do so. My fear is that if this takes off it may circumvent our ability to get pressed DVD's for many of the titles we have access to now.

I would rather they go the route of inexpensive downloads with some way of preventing use for anything other then intended. This could satisfy the rare items that probably would not come out any other way, as well as the rental/download community. At least then both models could coexist. But I can't see them doing DVD-R's and pressed DVDs for the same titles.

I personally think it's a bad trend to set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks