What's new

WarnerArchive.com to release: Maverick, 77 Sunset Strip, Bourboun Street Beat et al (1 Viewer)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I wish we had some news. It feels like everyone except Shout Factory has been reluctant to touch the classic tv-on-dvd market. A real shame because there are still fans of this genre out there. They are killing it before it's time.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

And yet Disney is releasing the 1950's Zorro in Black and White (not colorized) this year. The entire series in 2 volumes including the hour shows which were shown on Disneyland.
Never give up hope .

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I imagine any hesitancy on Warner's part may have resulted from the very vocal and decidedly mixed reaction to the archive program itself. If reactions have been this volatile about individual releases, then how much more so with multi-disc season sets? I doubt we will see any television releases before Warners resolves the bigger issues with its archive program.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
This direct-to-consumer "boutique" approach has been working well in the music industry for companies like Rhino Handmade and Hip-O Select. About once a month these labels serve up a diverse mix of highly sought after "vintage" music on CD in "limited edition" numbered packages. The pricing will be somewhat higher than a standard CD, but fans happily "pony-up" the additional cash to obtain these previously long OOP albums on CD. The big difference between this and the Warner Archive model IMO, is the questionable medium being used and the production method Warner employs to make the Warner Archive discs. Rhino Hamdmade (who is also owned by the same parent company -- Time-Warner) does not foist CD-R discs onto its direct customers. Rather, Rhino Handmade and Hip-O Select product looks (and sounds) like something you'd find at Best Buy or Walmart... Only, you never will, because instead of Kelly Clarkson, we're talking about artists like Syreeta or John Sebastian. The discs are manufactured exactly like any standard CD, albeit they are produced in smaller quantities. In some instances, the quality of these boutique releases (from a sound and packaging standpoint) exceeds that of a standard CD. In short, these discs may cost more, but you get a good quality product.

I think Warner has a great idea with the Warner Archive concept, and I would LOVE to acquire vintage WB TV shows on DVD, but IMO they need to work out the bugs or re-think their current business model for this to truly succeed.

Charles H

Screenwriter
My guess is that from the Western Channel and Good Life channel that most of these titles (MAVERICK, CHEYENNE, HAWAIIAN EYE) have been remastered. With the WB Archive titles, the RKOs have always been problematic and it's naive to believe that THE BIG HOUSE or other early 1930s titles are going to look any better than what is played on TCM. What you see is what you get.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
This would be a great way to release short-lived shows with cult followings, like Just The Ten Of Us, Then Came Bronson, The Girl From U.N.C.L.E., Nichols, and Love, Sidney.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I have to pass on this, since the way the disks are encrypted makes them unplayable on many DVDs and Computers. (All of My Players, as well as my Computer have the Capacity to Record). This is Baloney IMO, so I won't be patronising them.:thumbsdown:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
People are mad about the price, mad that they're using DVD-Rs (despite that Warners will replace the discs if they go bad), mad that the site is difficult to use, mad that they think that Warners has stopped all catalog releases now, mad that there's no overseas shipping, mad about anything they can think of, etc.

Personally, I think they need to work out some bugs with the program but the people that constantly rail against it seem to be the usual internet vocal minority rather than the majority of consumers. If they wait a little while to start releasing TV shows, I think it'll be better all around as they iron out the early problems with the program.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
You can't please some people. We should all be grateful that at least Warner Bros. is doing something regarding its vast catalog. I don't see the other majors doing this yet! So there's a few bugs- in time things will work out.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Hey Warner Bros, why bother making dvd's at all anymore... you could just send out booklets with short synopsis of each episode and charge $64.99 per page. I suggest via email to save printing costs!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Charles, I hope you're right. For anyone interested, check out the ongoing WB Archive Thread on the Std Film Bd. There are problems with ordering the Barker Tarzan sets. Both Gary & I had the same problems among others with WB losing our online orders.

What I see as a big problem here is the inconsistancy of information from the WB Cust Reps over the phone. I posted more over in that thread this evening.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

Thanks Travis. I thought this was an excellent idea on Warner's part & wasn't aware of problems. I would think people would be grateful for the chance to grab these old titles.

Replication runs usually start at 1,000. So if they don't think they'll sell 1,000 then the DVD-R concept is an option.

I can't imagine Warner's bottom line being that great on these small sales. All the complaints might end up doing is shelving the whole concept.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Not for nothing, but there has been no statement that these discs will be replaced if they go bad. What Warner said was that they would stand behind their product. If the DVD-R pukes after 5 years, there is no guarantee they will ship you a new one. Considering how the website seems to be losing orders and history right and left these days, I can't imagine how'd they'd even verify that they sold a given person the original copy.

Of course I'm just one of those cranky people who doesn't like to pay premium prices for substandard product. :rolleyes

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

So whats the difference between the reliability of good (and I hope they are using good DVD-R's ) and a stamped replicated DVD?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
A Couple of Suggestions

1. How about Digital Downloads? I might make monatary sense with Niche series, it won't make everyone happy, and we would have to worry about format.. but it's an option.

2. How about an ad supported site like Hulu, for at least being able to stream and watch the show? At least it's better than no option to watch it...

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I've always hated when companies stream tv shows online as oppose to watching them on tv. It's not comfortable and the quality isn't great. It feels harder on the eyes to watch it on a computer screen.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Some older players either will not play or have trouble playing certain DVD-R's. I have a Panasonic changer in the bedroom that refuses to play my home-made HP DVD-R's of time-shifted TV shows, but will play Sony, TDK and Memorex discs just fine.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Huzzah! More hideously overpriced and poorly encoded DVD-rs that will self destruct in 5 years!

What's even worse? Aside from a couple of selections, the movies offered in the archives aint my bag, so I can ignore the bulk of WB's shenanigans. TV shows, on the other hand, I'd love to get my hands on - but not in this format. Thanks Warner! Thank you so very much!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks