What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warner Unveils Aggressive Catalog Initiative for 2006 (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

One of my favorites also. Warners told Randy Salas that they were working on a restoration. As far as I know, no date was mentioned.

I don't mind on waiting on titles from Warners because I know that when they release something it will be worth the wait. Sure, I'd love to have those great RKO mysteries in my collection now, but WHV is giving me so much other stuff in the meantime that I can wait until their turn comes up. I need something to look forward to in my old age :)

Steve

Greg_M

Screenwriter
[q]There is always a "BUT" when it comes to dvd releases. Someway, somehow there is always going to be somebody that wants more than what's being offered.

Robert! What were you expecting? There will alway be some one wanting more.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I honestly feel that Vitali has no idea what he's talking about.

Kubrick filmed his last 3 movies safe for Academy, but it's quite clear they were mainly framed for 1.85:1. Putting out DVD's in 16x9 1.85:1 isn't going against Kubrick's wishes at all. Why do you think Columbia went ahead and used 1.66:1 anamorphic on Dr. Strangelove?

Also, he couldn't have burned the outtakes. I read an article about Kubrick's archives and they seem to be intact. RAH even mentioned in the Ryan's Daughter thread that the long version of 2001: A Space Odyssey exists as 65mm separations. Besides, why would he get rid of all those film materials when he kept everything else at his estate?

According to Kubrick's estate, he was even eager to finally contribute to DVD editions, but he died. No one complained when Columbia issued their excellent 2-disc SE of Dr. Strangelove with the theatrical AR intact and lots of extras.

And Warner Bros. is obviously not phased because they're adding a commentary to A Clockwork Orange (as well as a new 16x9 1.66:1 version, most likely), giving 2001: A Space Odyssey a 2-disc SE, and a new The Shining (likely 1.85:1 anamorphic).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

More requests for various titles.:) Even my personal list for certain Warner titles is perhaps longer than most.

Crawdaddy

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I agree, Patrick.

I knew I should have saved the following image when the last Kubrick OAR discussion was going on. Would have saved me some time. :)

Anyway, here it is, originally posted by Juan C. The image is taken from "The Stanley Kubrick Archives, page 452. Note the text in the upper right and the 1-1.85 in the corner!

Chris

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Since a precedent has been established here are a few more of my "But what about these, Warner?" titles. :D

Errol Flynn Collection #2 including Adventures of Don Juan, Dawn Patrol among others.

Edward G Robinson Collection including The Sea Wolf

Too bad Invisible Stripes didn't make it into the Tough Guy Collection.

I hope Act of Violence makes it into the Noir Vol #3 set.

The Yakuza

Road Warrior 2-disc SE - this is the 25th anniversary after all. ;)

Excalibur 2-disc SE - another to slap on the 'ol 25th anniversary label.

Outland - I'll settle for a watchable remastered DVD. Again 25th Anniversary this year Warner.

and whatever happened to the Bonnie and Clyde SE that was planned? No mention of it in this announcement.

That image is a perfect illustration of Vitali's point: Kubrick shot full frame and understood that he would need to matte to 1.85:1 for theatrical release. Thanks for showing that; totally awesome to see!

By the way, the notion that Vitali has no idea what he's talking about is quite humorous indeed. One might as well say, "Robert Harris has no idea what he's talking about" in regards to David Lean...

:)

CLD

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
In the chat,

would someone PLEASE tell WB to start 16x9 encoding their 1.66:1 DVD's??? This 4x3 lbxed madness has to stop...and it's so perplexing given how "right" they do so much else.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I wonder if they are going to be as agressive on the tv side as they are on the movie side. Here's some obscure movies on my Warner wish list. I would love to see the UNCLE movies that were released theatrically. They have been released in R2 but would love to see a R1 release.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

looks as if i will have to wait a few years maybe i can get a 25th 2 Disc set of Strange Brew, and i know that some are saying that they are missing a big chunk of the 80's with all of the classics, well if that is a problem then where is REDS 25th anniversary, i haven't seen this since it was in theaters, all the awards and this hasn't seen the light of day on disc.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Perhaps Kubrick believed that the distracting effect of the black bars was strong enough to overwhelm any sense of composition.

SteveJKo

Second Unit

I wish I could worry about other studios focusing too much on classic titles. At times it seems like some studios have forgotten they were even making movies before 1985. Keep up the great work Warner Bros.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Folks,

Please refrain from suggesting questions
in this forum area. We want the chat to
be as spontaneous as possible.

With that in mind, I want to say that this
has been a great thread to read. I think all
of you will be happy to know that the studio
is absolutely, without any doubt, reading all
your comments here.

Everything you have suggested is being taken
under consideration because the studio has
always taken an interest in feedback that is
presented within this forum.

Things seem to have really changed over the
past few years regarding studio relations with
Internet forums. It's getting tougher to
convince studios to support forums like ours
as well as participate in live chats. Warner
Brothers is one of the very few who still
see the value of what goes on here, and doesn't
hesitate to become involved.

Looking forward to the chat in almost 2 weeks.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Haha... thanks for posting the storyboard. I think the case has been rested.

When you use "those kind of films," I take it you haven't seen a lot of classics? Just take a look at 10 random pre-1970 films from WB and you'll see why the classic library is so loved.

I absolutely love classics, but I have almost the exact same amount of films from the 1960's as the 1980's.

But there's no doubt about it, Warner Brothers has the best pre-1980 catalog. After 1980, I think it might be Paramount or Fox with the best 1980-2005 films.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
Will an "uncut" Eyes Wide Shut include the original chants, or will this still have been replaced as it was on the "uncut" prints that were shown in Europe?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Arthur is another film that has its 25th Ann this year, and could use an OAR edition- at the very least.

200 films new to dvd this year seems like quite a bit (and is i guess) but i totaled up what titles were revealed already and it came to 68. more than i had realized, but still leaving plenty of room for more surprises.
i don't recall seeing any titles that would suggest a fall horror promotion, and Forbidden Planet was the only sci-fi title, iirc- so there seems to be room in there for those to be speculated upon.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I'm a bit surpised that WATERLOO BRIDGE (1931) is packaged in the "Forbidden Hollywood" box, rater than as a double-feature with the 1940 remake. Perhaps they could include GABY (1956) on the flipside of the 1940 film version?

I'm very interested to know more about the double features. Feltenstein created this format with laserdiscs (e.g., Ida Lupino double feature (THE HARD WAY/THE MAN I LOVE); Lucille Ball (DuBARRY WAS A LADY/BEST FOOT FORWARD); SUMMER HOLIDAY/TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE). Some suggestions: THE MAN IN THE CLOAK/TALL TARGET; ROSE MARIE(1935, 1954); MISSION TO MOSCOW/SONG OF RUSSIA; NORTHWEST PASSAGE/PLYMOUTH ADVENTURE; THE COBWEB/TWO WEEKS IN ANOTHER TOWN; THE CATERED AFFAIR/PAYMENT ON DEMAND; THE BLACK HAND/CREST OF THE WAVE?

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I'm glad to know Warner reads these threads. I will always support the product of studios that support me.

Um, Warner, how about "The Two Mrs. Carrolls" ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reconbo
Recent bookmarks