What's new

Warner Unveils Aggressive Catalog Initiative for 2006 (1 Viewer)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
"The Warner Tough Guys Collection" sounds awesome, I can't wait for that. I wonder whether or not Warner Brothers are going to release a second volume of the Gangster Collection on top of this though?

Plus, I have to wait until 2007 for a Cool Hand Luke Special Edition? Good things come to those who wait I guess ;)

eric tengren

Stunt Coordinator
wow... there are a lot of titles on my wish list ,NAKED SPUR,the INFORMER,Each dawn I die...Warner Brothers is King! { now please release THE BUTCHER BOY,THE YAKUZA, STRAIGHT TIME,and PERFORMANCE!!} FEB 21ST ,nice.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Astonishing news!
Thank you George and all those responsible for this incredible announcement.
So many must haves and yet selfishly I still feel a little letdown that there is no mention of How The West Was Won or The Showboat Set and what about all those great MGM and Warner Musicals of the 30s, 40s and 50s that have yet to see the light of day.
Fred Astaire, Doris Day, Jane Powell, Howard Keel, Esther Williams, June Haver, Eddy & Mc Donald, Kathryn Grayson, Gene Kelly, Gordon MacCrae, Debbie Reynolds, Morgan & Carson, Virginia Mayo, Ann Southern and many others.

I just hope that their turn will come swiftly and hopefully before HI-DEF DVDs slow down the volume of standard DVD releases.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

I think this will be out in 2007. Hopefully anyways! This would make a great 2 or 3-disc. Can have the theatrical cut, roadshow cut, and of course extras such as the Operation Raintree featurette.

Andy

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Another must buy. With STORM WARNING coming and KING's ROW being restored (per Randy Salas over on another forum) could this be part of the rumored Reagan set? Could be just coincidence also.

It's a shame the other studios don't show the same appreciation to their catalog. Not just in terms of releasing items, but also in promoting what they're releasing.

Steve

Bill Hunt

Insider
Just a word of note. Keep in mind that Warner hasn't actually announced the complete list of 200-odd titles - just the highlights. In speaking with WHV execs after the event, I was told that there's a lot that's still being planned and/or worked on that's just too early to confirm. In particular, there were a lot of titles set for box set release, where only 1 or 2 of the titles was mentioned. But I was also told that you'd see more announcements - with more specific information - in the next several weeks.

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
Nobody else has mentioned it, so I will: I've been waiting for A SLIGHT CASE OF MURDER for a long time. Those of you who haven't seen it, you're in for a treat. It's a comedy about a former bootlegger (Edward G. Robinson) trying to go straight.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Can I just get the new and improved Superman II? I already have the crappy part 3 and 4 and the even worse Supergirl (Hey - it was 5 bucks for the out of print 2 disc limited edition. I cant pass up a movie for that even if it suck beyond words). I'm not really fond of double dipping for 3 completly shitty movies just for one upgrade.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I heartily second these four silent titles.

I would add: BILLY BUDD, the Allied Artists film from 1962, and Peter Ustinov's sole directorial effort. Wonderful movie, beautifully photographed at 2.35:1 and black and white. Damn, I wish more people remembered this film so that Warner Bros would notice the requests.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

And... THE MAN WITH TWO BRAINS; HOOPER; and a re-master of WTICHES OF EASTWICK.

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe it's just me, but 14 discs for a Superman set is bordering on overkill - especially considering that it will include 'Superman III' and 'Superman IV', both of which are movies that don't necessarilly scream out "gimme a special edition!"

Having said that - I'll still probably buy it :)

Has anyone given thought that the 14 discs may be made up of 3-disc editions for the movies?

dave bula

Stunt Coordinator
Let's keep in mind that the existing Superman 1 is very much like a 2-disc already. It has a single 2-sided disc with the movie on one side and special features on the other. It's possible that they might just change that into two separate 1-sided discs, just to be able to call it a 2-disc Special Edition.

I too, hope very much that a 2-disc edition of Superman 2 will be available separately. (The subsequent films are very disappointing, to say the least.) If past history is any indication, Superman 2 should be available by itself. Warner has been pretty good about making all the individual movies from their box sets available singly for $19.95.

The only exceptions to this that I can think of are the documentary features in separate cases that are only available in the box sets. (Gene Kelly, Errol Flynn, Tracy & Hepburn, and the one that came only in the set of Yankee Doodle Dandy, Treasure Of The Sierra Madre, and Meet Me In St. Louis). I'd still like to be able to get that last one somehow, since I bought the 3 films separately without realizing that a boxed set even existed. No, I hadn't discovered HTF yet at that time. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks