What's new

Warner Picks Up Peanuts (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
As a supplement, I'd like to see the unsold 1963 documentary that not only profiled Schulz, but had animated inserts by Melendez's studio that apparently led to the creation of the animated specials in the first place.

Anyways, I think this is a stupid way to put the same stuff out over and over again when there's a ton of specials that have never been released on DVD at all... at least from a non 'rake in profits from individual releases and than hit 'em again with more efficiently priced, better packaged sets of everything' point of view!

Does anyone know if Warner Home Video are working on the transfers themselves or whether the Peanuts/Schultz company have completed their own restorations for WHV's distribution?

I'd like to know what's already been completed as far as remastering these for DVD and when we will hear more about this supposed "ultimate collection" that was to include ALL of the network special as well as the TV show episodes?

How long will we have to wait for that and why don't they put it out there already and make it available to those of us who have no intention of buying up all these individual double-feature discs??

I wonder if they're not deliberately trying to cash-in on the separate releases before revealing details of this mega set?

Somebody wake me up when Warner Bros. puts out a collection of these singles collecting EVERYTHING in the Peanuts TV universe as promised in the initial press release. Hopefully low sales resulting from people already owning all of this material won't effect that promised collector's set. I just hope we don't have to wait through a dozen holidays to get all this stuff out before we see proper comprehensive releases.

LCD22

Screenwriter
For those who have picked up the Peanuts: Deluxe Holiday Edition, is the Coca-Cola sponsorship restored for "A Charlie Brown Christmas"? This was originally intended to be my first question for WHV at the recent HTF chat, but when it looked like no one was going to bring up "Valerie/Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family", I went with that inquiry instead. I might wait to get these, as this box set includes a CD of songs from Vince Guaraldi's original album A Charlie Brown Christmas: The Original Sound Track Recording Of The CBS Television Special. I already own this separately. A friend of mine gave to me one Christmas.

I hope we'll see "Happy New Year, Charlie Brown!" get the "Remastered Deluxe Edition" treatment next after "You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown". Is there a possibility of this happening? I haven't seen that one in years. I think I might have taped it at one point. It was a personal favorite.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I doubt the Coca-Cola reference will be restored. It would have been nice if it could have been included as an extra. The ending is better with the children finishing the verse they are singing. Also, when the special first aired and Snoopy brings his supper bowl during rehearsal, the bowl was originally white!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
When the hell is that collector's set with everything coming Warners?!?!

I'm not wasting money on these rehashed double-features until you start releasing proper more efficient sets of the Peanuts specials.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Come on, we all know that the mega-collectors set will only come out after Warner's has released every holiday special, tv series, and movie individually. This is WB after all. They entice us w/the idea of a collectors set, but know that most of us will end up buying the individual releases due to the fact that this collector's set will never see the light of day and/or if the indiviual discs don't sell a collector's set isn't cost effective. You might as well just purchase the individual discs at this point. The only collector's set we will see will be the a mega-set of the holiday specials, of course WB skipping Happy New Year Charlie Brown messes this up though.

WadeM

Supporting Actor

I scanned through the program, and can confirm Coca Cola references are not restored. The picture quality looks terrific though upon first glance.

However, upon viewing the making of documentary, they mention Coca Cola right from the start and how they sponsored the show, and then about 5 minutes in, they talk about how the scene that's most talked about among Peanuts fans is when Linus crashes into a Coca Cola sign.... but they don't show it!

It's not that the scene doesn't exist anymore, as Steve Hoffman bragged about seeing the original broadcast print a couple of years ago with the original CBS logo and everything. You Tube probably has it.
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/ar...p/t-98085.html

I found it interesting that the documentary tells conflicting stories in how the special came together when compared to Paramount's "Making of a Charlie Brown Christmas" on the "I Want A Dog for Christmas" DVD. Warner Bros' doc makes it seem like the "Linus and Lucy" song was written for this special, whereas Paramount's version says it was written a couple of years earlier for the unaired "Boy Named Charlie Brown" documentary....

LCD22

Screenwriter

So it gets mentioned repeatedly in the documentary feauturette, but doesn't show up anywhere on the DVD? Ugh! I would love to have had them included.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There are prints in private collectors' hands with the material, but it's conceivable the Coca-Cola references were removed from the negative. It's happened before to Philip Morris references on I Love Lucy and to many 1960s sitcoms where the sponsor logo was featured in the credits.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I noticed today that the movie (not doc) "Boy Named Charlie Brown" doesn't seem to be in print anymore, and it was just released in 2006.... that worries me for the future of the other 2 yet unreleased Peanuts movies.

Now this is just speculation of course, but I imagine that as far as the TV Specials, that Warner will still release their "Golden Collection" sets, but as the press release stated, for the lesser known specials. Although it sounded like any non-Holiday special, the one being released in January is one of the more popular ones (at least more popular than Happy New Year, I'd think), so I would imagine they'd release the handful of more popular ones in this format, then move on to the collections for the lesser ones.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
I think that its no longer in print is due to the fact that Paramount put these out right before WB got the license. Since WB has it now, I figure they will re-release these later on down the road.

Have you seen the price that the This is America Charlie Brown dvd is going for these days. In the words of Charlie Brown, good grief! Good grief indeed.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I believe WHV's license only extends to the television properties. Paramount naturally would have retained the rights to their theatrical films.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Race For Your Life is one of my favorites and especially deserving of release.

Paramount is just terrible in every possible way.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Why did Warner's not pick up the license for the movies? These are what the fans want, not repeats of the holiday specials over and over again, well that and what they promised but not delivered yet.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I just discovered in my video collection the 1986 broadcast of A Charlie Brown Christmas. It doesn't fade out, like it does now, but the title freeze frames, the music stops abruptly and the announcer does his sponsor spiel.

Curiouser and curiouser.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I read that ABC is broadcasting "Happy New Year, Charlie Brown!" tonight at 8pm EST. And it is about bloody time this returns to television.

This has never been released to DVD. So how about a "Remastered Deluxe Edition" for next year, Warner?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks