What's new

Warner Picks Up Peanuts (1 Viewer)

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
I couldn't believe that WB didn't release "Happy New Year, Charlie Brown!" this December in order to follow up w/the last basic holiday-themed Peanuts special. I am glad that they are getting the release out there on a more conistent basis, gives hope that we might get everything out before the end of 2010, lol.

LCD22

Screenwriter

I just hope they don't put this as a "bonus special" on some future release. I would also love to see again "You're in the Super Bowl, Charlie Brown!" since it hasn't been released to DVD yet either. Maybe ABC will air that one next year? :laugh:

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
Those two would work well together, perhaps next Dec possible, but keep them all coming at us WB. I do think that by next holiday season they will re-release the main 3 holiday specials on blu-ray.

Paramount, get it together and get us the rest of the movies in any form possible. I would really love to have Race for Your Life Charlie Brown sometime soon.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if it might be useful to petition Schultz company to pitch for a release of the remaining features from Paramount?

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
I agree, HNY, Charlie Brown is the more well know release and should have been released last December in order to capitalize on the upcoming holiday.

Any word if the two extra shows on the 1960s collection will be released on their own, or is WHV going to screw over fans by making them by the collections as well as the individual releases for the extras?

LCD22

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by chadHobbick

I agree, HNY, Charlie Brown is the more well know release and should have been released last December in order to capitalize on the upcoming holiday.
They also missed the added exposure that came from last year's (long-overdue) ABC re-broadcast, and providing a featurette that gives a rare look inside this classic.

I mean between these two, as you said Chad, what's more memorable than Charlie Brown trying to do a book report on "War and Peace", musical chairs and the Peanuts gang ushering in the "New Year", one of the rare appearances of the Little Red-Haired Girl, and not to mentioned Charlie and Peppermint Patty dancing to "Slow Slow Quick Quick"?

Warner, you seriously miscalculated on this one.

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
A couple of questions:

On the 60's Collection, did they fix the audio lip sinc problems that were on the remastered Christmas dvd?

Also, the 2004 release of I want a dog for Cmas, CB contained CB's Cmas tales. Is that not going to be included on the new dog for Cmas dvd?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I can assure you there were no audio lip sync issues with the remastered Christmas DVD or the release in last week's collection, at least in my copies.

Myself and several others in the thread for it at the time agreed that it was fine. I've noticed in a couple of my DVD players over the years that they struggle as they age with scene changes and sometimes the audio gets out of sync and I have to rewind the DVD for a second to reset it to get the audio and video insync with each other. I suspect this is what happened with you.

Or perhaps there was a bad run of disc and the problem was minor enough that they decided to leave it be and just quietly fix it? Most people don't seem to have encountered this problem, but there's a handful here and there that have noted it, so it can't be just dismissed.

Let us know if you get the 1960s collection. I'd be curious if its something that's just barely out of synch that most of us can't pick up upon it and still exists that way in this latest version, or if there was indeed a problem with some disc and was later corrected.

As for the New Year's Charlie Brown episode, I would think everyone would be happy just to see it make it on DVD. What possible difference does it make if it gets star billing on the cover of the DVD or is the extra special included on it? What's important is its getting released.

I'm hoping with the blu-ray release that they go out of their way to give A Charlie Brown Christmas a definitive release and arrange to have those missing few seconds of the special restored so they could be seen for the first time in 45 years. There's many fans here and elsewhere that would love to see the complete and unedited special, and I can't imagine Coca-Cola would be difficult to arrange it with. They might be pleasantly surprised if they attempt to arrange something and actually get paid for it from Coca-Cola.

Edited by LeoAmes - 7/14/2009 at 11:57 pm GMT
Edited by LeoAmes - 7/15/2009 at 12:04 am GMT

LCD22

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

As for the New Year's Charlie Brown episode, I would think everyone would be happy just to see it make it on DVD. What possible difference does it make if it gets star billing on the cover of the DVD or is the extra special included on it? What's important is its getting released.
Go back and re-read again the last few posts on the subject, as you completely missed the point. Warner simply failed to time a proper release (and again this year). Instead, they chose to follow-up "A Charlie Brown Christmas" with "You're a Good Sport, Charlie Brown". What they should've done is pushed that release to a later date, and brought out the New Year special. As I said before, they could've used the added exposure from the most recent broadcast on ABC.

"Happy New Year, Charlie Brown" was the last major holiday-themed Peanuts special yet to be released. (You could find this airing perennially, along with the "Garfield" specials, on CBS after "It's the Great Pumpkin", "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving", and "A Charlie Brown Christmas".) That doesn't include "You're in the Super Bowl, Charlie Brown" as that aired only once, on NBC in 1994.

I'm hoping with the blu-ray release that they go out of their way to give A Charlie Brown Christmas a definitive release and arrange to have those missing few seconds of the special restored so they could be seen for the first time in 45 years. There's many fans here and elsewhere that would love to see the complete and unedited special, and I can't imagine Coca-Cola would be difficult to arrange it with. They might be pleasantly surprised if they attempt to arrange something and actually get paid for it from Coca-Cola.
It would be something to see if they restore the missing Coca-Cola footage on a high-def release, but it looks like it might be identical to the DVD release.
Edited by ChrisCook - 7/15/2009 at 03:49 pm GMT

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
While I agree that they're not taking full advantage of that special, they do have a large library of Peanuts material to release and I'm not sure I understand why releasing it with a Christmas episode for the fall season of 2009 is exactly a bad move either.

I guess I'm just happy to be getting this stuff on DVD (Not saying you aren't) and less concerned with things like the timing of something coming out on DVD.

Heck, if we didn't have A Charlie Brown Christmas on DVD at all and it came out in June for the first time, I'd be thrilled despite the timing of the release making no sense.

I agree about the chances of what I said about the blu-ray release as being extremely unlikely and that they will just be putting on blu-ray what they've already done, but if they wanting to give the special the fitting treatment it deserves in a definitive hd release, they'd go that extra mile. I hope someone in the know is aware of those missing pieces and the desire of the fans to see it, and trys to get something arranged for it to happen,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks