What's new

Warner may own MGM Update: Sony/Columbia buys MGM (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
For those of us that have not been following closely, can someone offer a summary?

Am I seeing this correctly?
1. Sony gets MGM, meaning NewLine/Warner won't get The Hobbit.
2. Sony now has a huge library, meaning Blu-Ray probably will be the winner of the upcoming format war, or maybe even pre-emptively winning before it starts.

What else?

JackKay

Second Unit
what eles, maybe a lot of people at MGM get laid off.

I guess I should change the name of this thread to
SONY TAKES LION SHARE.

TedD

Supporting Actor

And why will it mean one hidef format? It's Columbia with some MGM titles against Warners with some other MGM titles. Not to mention all the other studios that will wind up backing one or the other of the formats. It'll be a format war no matter how you cut it.

Ted

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

My understanding is that the MGM library under bid was full of valuable titles. It's certainly easier if BluRay can claim TWO full studios worth of material are on board.

The studio content - hidef video war is not yet won but I gotta believe this is at least a big victory for BluRay. Winning the battle but not the war...yet.

I think it's safe to assume this will put real pressure on HD-DVD to sign up a studio.

Randi

Stunt Coordinator
SONY POUNCES ON LION
MGM sold for $2.94 bil, plus $2 bil debt assumption

A group led by Sony Corp. agreed in principle to terms with Metro
Goldwyn-Mayer to acquire the studio, hours after presumed frontrunner
Time Warner ankled the bidding.

Time Warner pulled out of the auction early Monday, saying the bidding
for The Lion, which owns the James Bond, Rocky and The Pink Panther
film franchises, had gotten too high.

Full Story at:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=18&cs=1

Miss Randi

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Uggghhhhhh. Why does it always seem things like this always go bad in my life. I had a bad feeling that this deal for WB was going to fall apart no matter how close to being done it seemed. Now one of the worst studios out there has more leverage in pushing their Blu-Ray format and now has acquired many titles that will have little chance of being corrected for OAR. Not to mention that this studio does not acknowlede customer feedback or talk to this forum. Sucks. Maybe at the very least, they will re-instate the SE versions of DVDs that MGM scaled back.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I guess that's the reason why next week, this same studio is hosting a large group of HTF members at their studio. Please, let's keep some perspective here.

Crawdaddy

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Interesting, I did not know that.

But that still does not excuse their ass backwards marketing and pissing on proper presentation by actually dropping widescreen sides off flipper discs and their pan and scan only releases, some of which are scope films.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
I'm personally glad Sony won the bidding, since I think their Blu-ray format is superior to the HD-DVD spec.

-Dennis

Greg Black

Second Unit
I'm all for Blu-Ray, but yes, Sony aquiring MGM really sucks, for lack of a better phrase. I guess we can all look forward to Superbit editions of The Pink Panther movies, Spaceballs, and The James Bond movies :rolleyes

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Keep your friends close, your enemies closer.

Hopefully you won't all return as a bunch of fullscreen-craving, SuperBit lovin' Stepford HTFers. :D

Don Black

Screenwriter
Yay for Blu-Ray. Boo-hiss for Sony's technical specs. Yay for Sony hosting HTF. Boo-hiss for Sony's technical specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks