What's new

Warner may own MGM Update: Sony/Columbia buys MGM (1 Viewer)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I don't think Warner is neglecting their library at all. Think about all the classic releases that have gotten excellent SE's as of late. Singing in the Rain, Blazing Saddles, and I'm sure there is a lot more I could mention.

At least they wouldn't put out Pan & Scan version like Sony most likely would.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
You forget Columbia Tristar (aka Sony Pictures).

Sony is also in the running to acquire MGM - and I think that's a much worse scenario.

Between the two, I'm hoping Warner wins the bidding wars.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I guess this explains the inclusion of Platoon and Salvador in the new Oliver Stone box set. Only question I have is what does thsi mean for previous releases? Lazy route, relabel, same disc. Or actaully effort.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I couldn't be happier if Warner has acquired MGM. My guess is that Warner will maintain MGM as a separate entity; the only thing that worries me is the future of the United Artists imprint, since it will be Warner's 3rd "independent" film label (along with FineLine and Warner Independent Pictures). Since New Line has been able to maintain FineLine on a limited basis, UA may meet the same fate, but I'm still concerned.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I have to agree with you. I'm a big fan of the horror/sci-fi genre and love those Midnite Movies. I've got to admit that Warner has gotten better about releasing this type of offbeat material in the last year or two, which in itself is a miracle -- but as you say, it's usually only "A" titles. They seriously need to develop more of a "cheesy 50s drive-in" type of line and put films out like 1957's ATTACK OF THE 50 FT WOMAN .

I used to be very much anti-Warner, but the truth is they've become my favorite studio in the last two years because of their commitment to quality and their long-awaited releases of genre favorites like FREAKS, DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE, HOUSE OF WAX, MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM, THE OMEGA MAN, SOYLENT GREEN, TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA and FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED. Let's just hope they continue to please ALL their consumers - including those of us who appreciate the oft-neglected horror genre.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
its funny, but of the two forums i frequent the most- AVS, which is full of equipment fetishists, was hoping Columbia would have won MGM because that would have meant more inventory for Blue Ray HDs, while the concensus over here seems to be it would be better if Warner got them because they are better in honouring the films they release (in regards to maintianing correct aspect ratios, as well as SE content, etc).

i don't have much thought on HD- its just not on my radar at the moment.
but Columbia isn't anywhere close to showing their films the respect that Warner has shown its catalog.

like everyone else though, i worry how this is going to impact the output of both studio catalogs.
the midnight movie line was the only thing MGM did consistently well, and there are still a ton of those films left that need releasing.

i can't say i'm not excited by the thought of someday getting a proper 2 disc remastered SE of The Apartment though, along with the numerous other great films MGM casually threw out there.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I would hate warnes to get MGM.
You can't put out the old Warner brothers and original MGM classics too fast for me and the RKO library. But they have a hard time getting all these things out now. We are still waiting for Bette Davis and Errol Flynn and Astarire - rodgers boxes - and much more. How much longer do we wait if Warners have to take over the old UA library also?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
if columbia got 'em we would still be waiting while they worked the UA material into the schedule between the umpteenth release of Spider-man 2 and Bad Boys 2

iirc, Warner will be releasing almost double the number of titles as its nearest competitor (or maybe it was just double the number of titles they released last year)

walter o

Supporting Actor
(Perhaps you could be more specific as to what you are refering to as being neglected.?

well the doris day movies, the Fred Astaire stuff, some Gary cooper movies, esther williams library, not movies the newer moviesgoers might want to see, but they wre all out on LD widescreen, so it shouldnt be hard to put it out on DVd but WB doesnt do anything with them at all.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

I suspect Warner's handling of the UA library would be primarily for SE's. It looks like MGM has already released a huge amount of catalog titles, so Warner may work on SE's for the most part. Prime Warner SE's would be stuff like The Alamo and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, if they restore them when they gain ownership.

A restored 2-disc SE of Mad World would be worth waiting for, IMO.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I wouldn't be surprised if they did a super-deluxe SE of Robocop that has a pretty big following, along with Terminator 1, maybe even work out a deal with lion gate to release a box set... It's interesting none the less, my opinion is Warner has been doing not so great with there movies in terms of Box Office but now there making a killing on DVD, so hence they'll up there library and double the releases and make double the money.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Warner has the staff to cope with increased DVD production and distribution.

But the double-dip... 'phenomenon' may be about to reach its apex.

:frowning: or :)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Dear Warner Brothers,

Now that you own the MGM library, there's this small matter regarding ITS A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD I would like to discuss....

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I'm happy with Warner getting MGM. Warner's star has been rising in my book.

Looking forward to the Bond reissues.

-Reagan

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Well, MGM already comissioned new 4K restorations of the first 9 Bond films, plus lower-res (probably HD) remasters of the rest from Lowry Digital Images. All from the negatives, apparently.

It'll be nice to see Goldfinger and Thunderball on DVD in non-awful editions.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I actually hope Warner buys MGM.

It may be the only hope we have in getting
ITS A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD restored.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully Warner would re-release those foreign films that MGM didn't give the treatment they deserved.

On the top of the list is Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring. How masterpieces like these get one of the worst treatments on DVD is beyond me.

Other titles that could use proper re-releases:

Fellini's Roma
Fellini - Satyricon
Babette's Feast
Small Change
The Man Who Loved Women
The Wild Child
The Story of Adele H.
Camille Claudel

It seems like MGM's whole World Films series of DVD are lacking in one way or another. What a shame.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Fellini's Roma
Fellini - Satyricon
Babette's Feast
Small Change
The Man Who Loved Women
The Wild Child
The Story of Adele H.
Camille Claudel

Some of those MGM DVDs are 1.66:1 NON-anamorphic. Under Warner, they would still be NON-anamorphic - even if they were given new transfer and didn't just have extras added to them.

If the buy-out happends, I think that Warner should do a SE of Sweet Smell of Success. Tony Curtis, Susan Harrison and Ernest Lehman are still with us and would well worth interviewing. A James Ursini commentary would also be great.

But first... a SE of Wilder's, The Apartment with a new transfer. That would be priority number 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks