What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warner how about James Cagney Movies on DVD (1 Viewer)

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the midst of reading a biography of James Cagney (fascinating individual) and it appears very few of his movies are on DVD. Is warner Brothers planning some kind of Cagney collection?

John

PS-from my reading Cagney heartily disliked Jack Warner, mostly over his alleged cheapness. Cagney, when he became a star, often dragged out filming to allow extras and the film crew additional days of pay (when not filming there was no pay).

PPS-in the early Cagney movies, at least according to the book I'm reading, gangster shootouts used real bullets! After some close calls Cagney refused to do scenes even though Warner Brothers used former "expert" WWI machinegunners.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, the Gangsters set is a step in the right direction for Cagney fans, then there's Yankee Doodle Dandy, Love Me or Leave Me, Ragtime, Mister Roberts, One, Two, Three, What Price Glory? among others.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Which Bio are you reading? I've been contemplating picking one up.

As for his movies on DVD, I believe that WB is planning a Cagney box, but I can't recall for sure. They definitely intend to have a Gangsters Box 2 and last time, that had several Cagney movies included.

I know that the following are available
  1. Public Enemy
  2. Angels with Dirty Faces
  3. The Roaring Twenties
  4. Yankee Doodle Dandy
  5. White Heat
  6. Mr. Roberts
  7. Man of a Thousand FAces
  8. One, Two, Three
  9. Ragtime (Small Part)[/list=1]
    Most of his premium titles are available.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I would expect the following Cagney films to be released on dvd either through the second Gangsters Box or a Cagney box.
  • "G" Men
  • A Midsummer's Night Dream
  • The Oklahoma Kid
  • Each Dawn I Die
  • Captains of the Clouds
  • The Fighting 69th
  • City for Conquest
  • The Bride Came C.O.D.
However, I hope Warner doesn't forget Come Fill the Cup or Tribute to a Bad Man. It's too bad that MGM/Sony controls The Gallant Hours.

Crawdaddy

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The pre-code TAXI! with Loretta Young is probably my most wanted from the MIA-Cagney titles. Hopefully this will make it onto one of the sets. Cagney has a supporting role in SMART MONEY to Edward G. Robinson but this would be another good selection.

Barrie Maxwell

Stunt Coordinator
All the titles mentioned are great as well as being the obvious ones to release. But how about digging really deeply into the early Cagney stuff? A set that I'd love to see would include:

Smart Money (with Robinson)
Blonde Crazy
Taxi
The Crowd Roars
Footlight Parade (the best of the Berkeleys)
Lady Killer
Jimmy the Gent

It could be called the Cagney Pre-Code Collection. Now that would be a release. WB take note, please!

Barrie

Charles H

Screenwriter
From Warner Bros.: THESE WILDER YEARS, PICTURE SNATCHER, THE WEST POINT STORY, A LION IN THE STREETS, and another vote for COME FILL THE CUP.
From MGM/Sony: SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL and another vote for THE GALLANT HOURS.
From Paramount: RUN FOR COVER.
From Universal: MAN WITH A THOUSAND FACES (Lbx)--the Lon Chaney story--OOP but should be reissued.
PD versions of THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE (Roan is the best with an alternate ending) and BLOOD ON THE SUN (Artisan is the best).
KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE is Cagney's last official gangster film and is available from Artisan.

JohnEF

Stunt Coordinator
The biography I am reading (actually listening to as it is unabridged on 11 1 hour tapes from the library) is Cagney by John McCabe.

I am up to 1951 and he has already made around 60 movies and the book discusses just about every one so far. I had done a search on Deep Discount DVD and only came up with about 12 for sale as DVD's. I will look at the gangster collection.

After Cagney became a star he actually had a lot of script control and he often ad-libbed some of his parts that he felt were an improvement and according to the author they generally were. He and his brother also, for a while started their own film production company but it wasn't too successful.

I enjoyed many of the anecdotes in making these films including all the battles with Jack Warner who Cagney detested (I think the feeling was mutual). I remember one reference to the Torrid Zone as the Horrid Zone by Cagney (perhaps as a joke).

John

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Funny, but last Friday I went to visit my father and grandparents graves and I just had to pay my respects to Mr.Cagney who is also in the same cemetery. I was in Lenox Hill Hospital in March of 86....I was leaving my room when they pushed Mr.Cagney past me headed to the private rooms next to mine. He passed away a week later.

p.s. I started a thread about 3 years ago about this same subject and mine was moved to the Studio fourm
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=102541

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Cagney's good buddy Pat O'Brien has Cagney's part while John Payne plays the younger brother played by Eric Linden in the original film. IMO, it's not as good because Cagney is Cagney.

Crawdaddy

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
PICTURE SNATCHER and TAXI are absolute musts, especially the former, which is my favorite Cagney picture, and yes, I've seen the classic WHITE HEAT. At least TCM was kind enough to air them for me.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I wouldn't hesitate in buying both "Strawberry Blonde" and "Tribute to a Bad Man", in fact "Strawberry Blonde" is by far my favourite Cagney title.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in for TAXI, and The Strawberry Blonde, for they top my Cagney list, as does Footlight Parade, which I agree with Robert, I'm expecting in the Berkeley collection. I would love to see more of the obscure early films, make their way to DVD, the Pre-Code Collection(s) would be a great showcase for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks