What's new

Warner Chat 2-26-07 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Asking about specifications is one thing, but Ron never said you can't ask about future HD DVD/Blu-ray releases during the chat. As far as my "Oh well, whatever" response, in other words, your chat attendance is a suit yourself situation.

Crawdaddy

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Last I heard Warner was neutral so why is it their responsibility to keep HD-DVD afloat?

Anyway whenever HP, Matrix, etc, get released they need to be same day/date on both formats. Ridiculous would be a proclaimed neutral studio releasing something to just one format.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Can you really blame Warner for trying? None of us are in their shoes, they're doing their best to handle a tough situation.

I have both HD and BR players so the only problem I see is cost for the title when I'd really like to only pay for one.

The problem will be if/when this silly format war dies and one version's left standing, how much more would we have paid for the THDs, but then, none of us have DeLoreans with Mr. Fusions so we wouldn't be able to see who would win anyway :D.

norrisMc

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a suggestion for a WarnerBros Chat Question...

Has "The Fugitive", "The Perfect Storm" 1080i BOBBED HD-DVD's been sorted out?

Have they been replaced with correct 1080p versions?

Is there a way of telling if they have been sorted and which versions we have?

Thanks.

Sorry I can't be there tonight!

Norris.

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob

If Warner wants to use interactive menu/features and bluray has yet to have this part of the spec working then why should Warner delay these releases on hd dvd (where this feature actually works) and tick off hd dvd owners? I mean from the jist of what I have read the reason Potter isn't out yet on hd dvd here is because of the bluray delay.

Why do they need to be released day and date if (again) the features will work on one format but not yet the other?

It is silly to not release these discs on hd dvd if they will work A-OK and then when the BD-J thing is working to release them at that time on bluray.

Seems logical to me.

Oh and it isn't their job to keep hd dvd afloat but it also shouldn't be their job to help kill off hd dvd by delaying discs until BD-J and such is ready which is happening right now.

I'm format neutral so it really doesn't matter to me but I do think a studio should release discs on whatever format if ready and if the other isn't then oh well...that format's version gets delayed.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

It's not their responsibility. The issue is, if HD's interactive features are ready to go, and BD's are not yet ready for prime time, then why penalize HD by holding back on the release schedule?

Sounds as if Warner is playing favorites for the survival of BD, not the opposite, as you imply.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
For me it's from 2.00 AM - 5.00 AM on the next day. Too bad I cannot make it this time.
I think this could be a very interesting chat.

Wish you (attendants) all a very nice and informative conversation! Hope to read about it tomorrow!

Cees

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

Warner IS neutral, but that does not change the fact that they own a large stake in the DVD Forum & in HD-DVD as well! You do realize that there are currently many more Warner HD-DVD's than Warner BD discs, right? Do you see V For Vendetta, Batman Begins, Charlie & Chocolate Factory, Troy, or T3 on Blu-Ray?

They have already mastered Harry Potter & Goblet Of Fire on HD-DVD and decided to release the US version in the UK! This is the ridiculous scenario I was talking about. Not every Warner release has had a BD version released simultaneously, and there's no reason to believe it won't happen again. They don't NEED to release a Blu-Ray version of every title, as you suggest.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

Yes, and that's a point many here have been making for the past three or four months. A stopper has been put into the bottle, so far as those release scenarios. They don't seem to be happening anymore.

The "rules" of the ballgame seemed to undergo a change toward the beginning of the holiday season. There seemed to be a shift taking place, and not all of it was Warner...whether it was political pressure or what have you...to give Blu-Ray a big bump in "catching up", which doesn't seem very neutral to me. If they're not ready...well...then, they're not ready.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Not yet but I'm sure I will before the year is out. :)

Anyway regarding holding titles back: Warner is a business pure and simple. If they're going to do any type of marketing push for their bigger franchises like HP or the Matrix on Hi-Def it makes sense to release them at the same time.
With something like a promo insert or coming soon ad (Own the Matrix trilogy on Blu-Ray & HD-DVD May 25th) on their upcoming DVD's it makes sense to release them at the same time as they'd only have to come up with one ad for one release (albeit both formats).

I'm sure they want to maximize profits on both formats so it's not a matter of punishing HD-DVD.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
I think they should split the chats into Warner classics, and current.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Well I really wish I would have seen this thread (or read the rules...) before posting my question. :frowning:

Sorry to Ron and the rest of the mods.

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator

As soon as the Warner folks stated they wouldn't be discussing HD-DVD, I left the chat. Very disappointing to me since I stopped buying DVD's in April when I bought my Toshiba player.

I just peeked in again, however, and they were answering release questions about HD discs (someone asked about Heat in HD-DVD and they told him in 2008). Now I'm mad that I stepped out when I did. Did they mention any other HD releases for 2007?

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Beber
You think you're mad? I have to wait another year for my favorite movie in HD!!!

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Edit: okay this should be the full list

From what I recall they mentioned...

Coming 2007
Poltergeist
LA Confidential
Deliverance
Halmet (Kenneth Branagh edition)
Blade Runner (hurray!)
Kubrick films (not specific as to which titles(s))

Coming 2008
Heat
Music Man (tentative, needs to be redone first)

and finally Warner has some HD DVD and Blu-ray product announcements coming in the next few weeks. Wonder what they left off? :)

Bob Black

Stunt Coordinator
Great news about Poltergeist, as the DVD was never even anamorphic, AFAIR! Now I won't have to import it from Europe. :)

The following were announced from Warner as European HD-DVD releases in 2007. It's looking like they may end up being released in the US as well (except those like The Island where Warner doesn't own the US rights):

April 25
The Island

May
Flags of Our Fathers

June
The Prestige
Natural Born Killers
Matrix (IME) (HD DVD only)

July
Mad Max 2
Matrix Reloaded (IME) (HD DVD only)

August
The Goonies
Matrix Revolutions (IME) (HD DVD only)

Letters from Iwo Jima

September
L.A. Confidential
Blade Runner
Poltergeist

300 (IME) (HD DVD only)
Blood Diamond (HD DVD only)
Zodiac

October
Dirty Harry
The Enforcer
Sudden Impact
Magnum force
The Dead Pool

Music and Lyrics
The Reaping

November
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (IME) (HD DVD only)
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire(IME) (HD DVD only)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (IME) (HD DVD only)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (IME) (HD DVD only)

December
2001 A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Eyes Wide Shut
Ocean's eleven (1960)
Ocean's eleven (2001)
Ocean's twelve
The Shining
The Wizard of Oz

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks