What's new

Warner Bros. - We want a Director's Edition of Superman IV (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Next thing you know, they'll make a film where Superman can be horribly injured by a kryptonite dagger but then lift an entire island made of the stuff and throw it into space. ;)

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Next thing you know, they'll make a film where Superman can be horribly injured by a kryptonite dagger but then lift an entire island made of the stuff and throw it into space. ;)

That's consistent with Kal-El's super Kryptonian strength, however. Last I checked, humans aren't capable of surviving in the vacuum of space.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
That's consistent with Kal-El's super Kryptonian strength, however. Last I checked, humans aren't capable of surviving in the vacuum of space.
It isn't consistent, though, because simply being too close to kryptonite weakens and, eventually, kills him. There's no way he could lift an entire island made of the stuff and not have it kill him before he got it to space.

Of course, we're disagreeing over a fictional character, so whatever. It's all good. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the explanation was that it wasn't pure kryptonite but rather a duplicate that Lex has synthesized so it wasn't as powerful as the raw stuff. Also, the idea was that he was sacrificing himself - he didn't expect to survive that. He just knew what had to be done.

The movie also shows him recharging his batteries with the power of the sun, and lifting the land mass underneath the kryponite rather than the green stuff itself.

Since kryptonite has been inconsistent in its effects over the years, none of this bothered me in the least. I think Superman Returns was beautiful storytelling.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I think the explanation was that it wasn't pure kryptonite but rather a duplicate that Lex has synthesized so it wasn't as powerful as the raw stuff. Also, the idea was that he was sacrificing himself - he didn't expect to survive that. He just knew what had to be done.

Fair point. I don't think it was made clear by the film itself, but I can accept that as an explanation. I disagree that Superman Returns was beautiful storytelling, but that's, like, just my opinion, man.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I think the explanation was that it wasn't pure kryptoniteb hbut rather a duplicate that Lex has synthesized so it wasn't as powerful as the raw stuff.

Sounds like you're thinking of Superman III. I believe SR has a scene where Lex and co (again?!) steal the Addis Addaba meteorite from a museum.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like you're thinking of Superman III. I believe SR has a scene where Lex and co (again?!) steal the Addis Addaba meteorite from a museum.

He did steal some kryptonite, but then he uses Kryptonian technology he stole from the Fortress of Solitude to artificially create more, so I see where he's coming from. I still say it's hooey, but I see some bit of logic in it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you watch the sequence with that island, it's not pure kryptonite. Lex uses a piece of kryptonite as a seed, but also notes elsewhere that crystals take on the properties of the minerals around them. The island isn't all green - it's a mixture of more traditional earth tones and crystals and then appears to be laced with green throughout. No doubt living there would be hell for him long term. But I never doubted that as a show of sheer will, aided by a fresh power booster from the sun, was just enough to squeak by. Notice that he's struggling to lift it. I think of it being like one of those instances where a parent shows superhuman strength in an instant to save their child from imminent harm. He had to do it, therefore he was able to do it...just barely.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
The 134 minute cut Superman IV doesn't exist in a restorable state. All they have are workprint trims that are in too poor a condition to be reinserted into any version of the film. Allegedly Canon destroyed the raw negatives too so there's no way to reconstruct it anyway.

The extended Tv version I saw some yrs ago looked fine to me. Granted, it was SD on a analog Tv, however PQ was optimal for the technology and the extra scenes seemed of comparable quality to the theatrical scenes..

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
To Warner Archive: I think I speak for many when I say I'd be elated for a SUPERMAN III SE Bluray w/ its extended TV version - however I'd be DAY 1 (at midnight if possible) for a SUPERMAN IV extended version - esp. one w/ new CGI to replace the cheapo orig. effects - I think this movie could be improved dramatically with relatively-minimal effort.

I'm thinking the only way any of the above could happen is if WA released a SE set containing II - IV (or just III and IV), as none of the sequels equal the original film, at least in popularity (although II came close).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What I'd probably really like to see is: Warner Animation brings in Konner & Rosenthal and makes an animated version of the movie that existed on the page before all of Cannon Films's budget cutting.

If you threw enough money at him, Gene Hackman would probably come out of retirement for a day's worth of voice acting. Jon Cryer, Mariel Hemingway, Margot Kidder and Marc McClure aren't up to much these days. Get Tim Daly or Brandon Routh to voice the title role, and George Dzundza or Frank Langella to voice Perry White, since the actors in question are no longer with us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks