What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release Warner Archive Press Release: Libeled Lady (1936) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
LIBELED LADY is one of Harlow's more remembered titles. We need more of Harlow out on Blu-ray, or, shoot, I'd settle for clean DVD releases.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick Notch
I’m so happy!

this was one of the titles that, when I was doing my “494 nominees in 365 days” challenge, I found to be a pleasant surprise.

I like William Powell (the Thin Man is terrific) and I like Spencer Tracey.

I knew this would eventually come to Blu Ray, as I think all Best Picture nominees will eventually (save for three).
But, like Nick*Z said, the DVD had a VERY bad transfer.

What are the three films?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
What are the three films?
Furthermore, although East Lynne is available if you look around (don't!!!), it's missing the final reel. So as battlebeast writes, the only complete copy of it is found at the UCLA Film Archives and it's not in very good shape. It's a hoary melodrama that stars one of my favorite actresses, Ann Harding, but it's really beyond saving. It makes you wonder why it was even nominated.
The White Parade is not much better as a film.
The Patriot, because it's directed by Lubitsch, is probably a greater loss to film history.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Furthermore, although East Lynne is available if you look around (don't!!!), it's missing the final reel. So as battlebeast writes, the only complete copy of it is found at the UCLA Film Archives and it's not in very good shape. It's a hoary melodrama that stars one of my favorite actresses, Ann Harding, but it's really beyond saving. It makes you wonder why it was even nominated.
The White Parade is not much better as a film.
The Patriot, because it's directed by Lubitsch, is probably a greater loss to film history.
I Didn't think EAST LYNNE was beyond saving. With Today's technology, anything is possible. That's way high-standard Warners was able to release this gem, LIBELED LADY, which was in rough shape. I look forward to more quality releases!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I Didn't think EAST LYNNE was beyond saving. With Today's technology, anything is possible. That's way high-standard Warners was able to release this gem, LIBELED LADY, which was in rough shape. I look forward to more quality releases!
By beyond saving I meant that East Lynne is not a very good film. A very bad melodrama that even Ann Harding can't quite save.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
By beyond saving I meant that East Lynne is not a very good film. A very bad melodrama that even Ann Harding can't quite save.
Oh, I see! Yah. It’s was... ok. Nothing I would nominate best picture. And White Parade was more powerful. (I’m going on a nine year old memory.)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I finally got around to watching the Blu-ray of Libeled Lady tonight, and the improvement from the DVD is incalculable. Now immaculate, the film is ever so much more fun to watch than that horrible DVD.
This is a fun little film I wouldn't have found had it not been nominated. And yes, kudos to Warners for their masterpiece restoration!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks