What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: The Courtship of Eddie's Father (1963) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Coming from the Warner Archive Collection this May!

NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of original camera negative

THE COURTSHIP OF EDDIE’S FATHER (1963)

Run Time 118:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 16x9 2.35 Letterbox
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50

Special Features: Feature-length commentary by Shirley Jones, Stella Stevens and Dina Merrill; Classic M-G-M Tom and Jerry cartoon “Penthouse Mouse” (HD) Original Theatrical Trailer

Cast: Glenn Ford, Shirley Jones, Stella Stevens, Dina Merrill and Ronny Howard as “Eddie”

Who will be the next Mrs. Corbett? Will it be the chic designer? The Miss Montana Pageant hopeful? The headstrong lady across the hall? It's a big decision for any boy to make for his recently divorced Dad. Like father, like son. You'll like 'em both when renowned child actor Ronny Howard portrays Eddie, and Glenn Ford is his Dad. Vincente Minnelli (Father of the Bride, Gigi) directs, using his flair for vivid colors and balancing the film's humor with the real sense of loss a family feels over a loved one's passing. Shirley Jones, Dina Merrill, and Stella Stevens portray the prospects under Eddie's self-appointed scrutiny. The amiable Courtship continued years later with a same-titled TV series starring Bill Bixby.

1681760119069.png

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have never seen this film, though I loved the TV series. One of these days I have to buy the series from WB archive. In the meantime, this will be a blind purchase.
This was the movie in which I developed a crush on Shirley Jones.:) Then I saw her in Elmer Gantry. :blush: After that I saw her in Oklahoma! and The Music Man then came along The Partridge Family.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Terrific, funny and genuinely sentimental comedy/drama. A reunion movie for Shirley Jones and Ronnie Howard soon after THE MUSIC MAN wrapped. Jones still speaks highly of his professionalism as a child actor.
If anyone at Warner Archive is reading this, I am one who is still waiting for the 1956 remake of THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STEEET, filmed in England by the director of the original version, Sidney Franklin. Never released on vhs or dvd, to my knowledge. Guessing it is in 2.55:1 Cinemascope with Perspecta Stereophonic sound. I think superior to the excellent original and Jennifer Jones' last really good film. Hoping it will be announced sooner rather than later!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, I thought I knew films, but I've never ever heard of this one. I'm pretty sure we didn't get the TV show in the UK, although I checked & the film was released here, but I can't remember it, & it wouldn't have been my cup of tea.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Ha, I thought I knew films, but I've never ever heard of this one. I'm pretty sure we didn't get the TV show in the UK, although I checked & the film was released here, but I can't remember it, & it wouldn't have been my cup of tea.
Well, I think it was a distinctively US phenomenon. It was very popular as a family film, and introduced us to Ron Howard. I took my younger brother and sister to see it, but by that time I was already enamored by the films of Godard and Fellini, as well as Hammer, and wasn't especially impressed. Though I love Minnelli, I've never found the film distinctive stylistically, though I imagine I'll eventually pick it up and give it another chance. The Minnelli comedy I'm looking forward to as a Blu from Warner Archive is Goodbye Charlie.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Well, I think it was a distinctively US phenomenon. It was very popular as a family film, and introduced us to Ron Howard. I took my younger brother and sister to see it, but by that time I was already enamored by the films of Godard and Fellini, as well as Hammer, and wasn't especially impressed. Though I love Minnelli, I've never found the film distinctive stylistically, though I imagine I'll eventually pick it up and give it another chance. The Minnelli comedy I'm looking forward to as a Blu from Warner Archive is Goodbye Charlie.
Goodbye, Charlie is with Disney.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
It is funny how the usual blonde Stevens and Merrill were asked to change their hair color to better differentiate themselves from Ms. Jones' blondness.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
The above synopsis (by WAC?) is in error. Glenn Ford's character is a widower NOT "recently divorced". Much is made in the screenplay of Eddie's delayed response to his mother's death and when it comes, it begins a series of arguments between Ford and Jones. Ronnie Howard handles the grief his character is going through extremely well.
Does no-one who has seem the film proofread their synopses? I hope this isn't on the cover. As a comedienne here in Australia, Effie, usee to quip : "How embarrassment!"
Also, no mention of Jerry Van Dyke, Dick's brother, as a supporting cast member. Well before his mother became a car......
Those who mainly recall the TV show will be surprised to see that the maid is not portrayed by an Asian actress. Miyoshi Umeki did the role in the series. Roberta Sherwood plays Mrs Livingston in the movie and has some good lines.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks