What's new

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA--SEASON 4 VOL.2 (1 Viewer)

kowalski65

Agent
Real Name
Joe
Gary -

I'd be interested to hear what you think of "Secret of the Deep." I knew when I watched it it was going to feature the often-used, bug-eyed seaweed beast, but that was OK. I always loved that monster and its first two appearances - "The Condemned" and "Deadly Creature Below!" - were among my favorites.

But I was dismayed to see that roughly a third of the episode was not re-used footage but reshot scenes - complete with only slightly altered dialogue - from "Deadly Creature Below!" That's the kind of budget-pinching nonsense that diminished the latter seasons of Voyage.

But I can't end my commentary on my beloved series on a down note. Reshot, re-edited, re-used, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea will always be my favorite TV show of all time. I only PRAY they never desecrate it by "re-imagining" it!!!

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Got my set yesterday and immediately plugged in the pilot (w/commercials). It was a nice treat and even though I've seen that episode way too many times over the last 5 years it's still very enjoyable for me. I then went to "Edge of Doom" (just because it was mentioned here as being underrated). I did like the opening sequence, but after that the episode didn't do much for me. The imposter was so obvious within seconds of showing up on screen it just didn't have any suspense at all. Now, I already knew who the imposter was because I've seen all the episodes multiple times down through the years but this time around it really hit me just how poorly that aspect of the episode was handled.

Actually, I find that the viewer knowing (or strongly suspecting) who the saboteur is – and watching Nelson go about snaring the wrong man – is a great strength of “Edge of Doom”!

Just seeing him be WRONG, instead of being two steps ahead of Dr. Mason (“Man of Many Faces”), the Lobster Man, or Mr. Pem is quite refreshing.

In fact, the mask is, to me, the weakness… as it would have been better still to have seen the blow to the head (in the teaser) been dealt by the imposter altered to look like [Name of character omitted to avoid spoilers!] With the mask, I was kind of expecting a supernatural element to this episode that never came.

Another key element that was too subtle to easily catch onto was that Nelson was ORDERED to avoid any direct questioning of the suspect – thereby negating the logical type of “personal questioning” employed in “Man of Many Faces” – like asking Sharkey where he went to high school and what subject he got an “A” in. That way Nelson could KEEP HOUNDING the wrong man, without resorting to intimate personal detail to determine his authenticity.

I also liked this one because it was one final time to get into the characterizations of our main men, before the more weirdly plot driven final two episodes.

Don’t know if it’s the end of the years of anticipation or not, but I seem to like ALL of these final episodes either as much – or more – than I remember liking them. Even “Return of Blackbeard” seems more enjoyable for its whimsy, the score by Mullendore (which I recall not liking, when compared to Leith Stevens and Harry Geller’s scores) and the usual hamminess of Malachi Throne.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Gary OS

I'll watch more today and through the weekend, but to be honest I'm pretty sure the only thing this set will do is solidify my longstanding opinion that the first season of the show was topnotch, the second was solid with only a few clunkers, and the third and fourth really fell off the proverbial cliff. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we finally have the series completed. This show has always held a special place in my heart and will always be a huge favorite of mine, but I'd be lying if I said I enjoy Season Four episodes just as much as Season One episodes.
Great assessment, Gary. I often wish reality would stop interfering with my nostalgia, but everything you say here is true. Would that I could wayback to my childhood wonder in watching this series and not be so inundated with the vast discrepancies from season to season as my maturing perception so readily attaches now. It reminds me of THE MAN FROM UNCLE and its dreadful third season, which just about tilt-a-whirled everything that had gone before, alienating everyone, from the cast to the audience. Whether it's the result of a misguided producer or a dearth of fresh ideas or a ever decreasing budget or whatever imposition is suddenly thrust upon the integrity of the series, the result is almost always the same: Complete and utter frustration and disappointment for all involved.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I tend to enjoy all four seasons, I don't have a favorite. I'd love to tell you it's nostalgia, but I only discovered the series in 1992, so that ain't it. ;)

Of course, I recognize the change in story maturity and quality, but the show was just damned good fun and there's an episode for whatever mood I'm in. In my view, the show reached it's nadir at the back end of the third season. The final year had something of an upswing and seemed to take on a lighter touch. "Return of Blackbeard," for example, seems to be played for laughs intentionally, which was totally unheard of in prior seasons. Yes, there were a number of truly craptacular episodes toward the end, but I have to say that the show wrapped up with a classy time travel episode that felt like a final episode.

Funny, I've been anticipating this final release for years, but now I'm sorry it's over. Weird.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Originally Posted by ScottRE

I tend to enjoy all four seasons, I don't have a favorite. I'd love to tell you it's nostalgia, but I only discovered the series in 1992, so that ain't it. ;)

Of course, I recognize the change in story maturity and quality, but the show was just damned good fun and there's an episode for whatever mood I'm in. In my view, the show reached it's nadir at the back end of the third season. The final year had something of an upswing and seemed to take on a lighter touch. "Return of Blackbeard," for example, seems to be played for laughs intentionally, which was totally unheard of in prior seasons. Yes, there were a number of truly craptacular episodes toward the end, but I have to say that the show wrapped up with a classy time travel episode that felt like a final episode.

Funny, I've been anticipating this final release for years, but now I'm sorry it's over. Weird.

Hi Scott,

I was too young when the show was first on and vaguely remember seeing an episode here and there in 1970s. I like classic sci-fi, so it is this reason i picked up the set along with my buddy was raving about the show too me. I also picked up outerlimits and time tunnel for the same reason. They just do not make good sci-fi shows like they did in the past.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Scott: I was there for the original, as a wide-eyed kid, and still love it well into my middle-age! Your assessment of the series as a whole is in perfect agreement with mine. Low point end of S3, and noticeable upswing in S4, but still below what came before.

...But ALWAYS enjoyable! Period!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Point-Blank

Great assessment, Gary. I often wish reality would stop interfering with my nostalgia, but everything you say here is true. Would that I could wayback to my childhood wonder in watching this series and not be so inundated with the vast discrepancies from season to season as my maturing perception so readily attaches now. It reminds me of THE MAN FROM UNCLE and its dreadful third season, which just about tilt-a-whirled everything that had gone before, alienating everyone, from the cast to the audience. Whether it's the result of a misguided producer or a dearth of fresh ideas or a ever decreasing budget or whatever imposition is suddenly thrust upon the integrity of the series, the result is almost always the same: Complete and utter frustration and disappointment for all involved.

That's well said, Walker. I really am a huge fan of the show, but I just couldn't enjoy the standard Irwin Allen "monster of the week" pattern the show fell into in Seasons 3 & 4. I do agree that in that last season the cast seemed at times to almost be laughing at themselves, but that just doesn't work for me in this instance. It's not that I expected them to be ultra serious all the time, but there is a line where things got too silly for me.

Gary "glad for those that enjoy all 4 seasons equally - and I am glad the series was finally completed on dvd" O.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
For me Voyage was the candy bar. I loved the monster of the week shows. The problem with the show was all to often the scripts. The Abominable Snowman and Manbeast were monster of the week shows that worked because they had better scripts. I also do think that Irwin Allen may have been looking to greener pastures in S4. I think he may have been responsible for the demise of Voyage because he did not want to deal with declining budgets.

Asto the unaired pilot, I am wondering how Sy Fy was able to get ahold of a color version when they ran the unaired pilot and Fox was not. That is the only sore spot that I have about this set.

My top two come from season 3 and 4. The 'Wax Men' with Michael Dunn playing a Miguelito Loveless type character and "The Deadly Dolls" with Vincent Price playing the mad villian.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by FrancisP

My top two come from season 3 and 4. The 'Wax Men' with Michael Dunn playing a Miguelito Loveless type character and "The Deadly Dolls" with Vincent Price playing the mad villain.

Loved 'em both too! Funny thing is, they are the same plot... one with "wax statues" and one with "puppets"! Each with an expert genre guest star to pull them off!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The unaired pilot is there. I also just read in the Jon Abbott book last night "Irwin Allen Telvision Productions 1964-1970" that the " X Factor" episodes has a scene with Nelson looking at the face of gun ready to be shot which did not make it into the 1st episode. The Abbott book is great i think any Irwin Allen fan would enjoy it.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Let me second Mark's endorsement of the Jon Abbott Irwin Allen book! It may be the the finest resource on the subject ever! All fans should have a copy of this great work.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'll third the recommendation for Irwin Allen fans to get, read and study the Jon Abbott book called IRWIN ALLEN TELEVISION PRODUCTIONS, 1964-1970: A CRITICAL HISTORY OF VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, LOST IN SPACE, THE TIME TUNNEL, AND LAND OF THE GIANTS.

I bought the book a few years ago after it had been on the market for a while. There were a bunch of fans waiting for the expensive price of thebook to come down, but it wasn't budging. I bit the bullet, ordered it, and still refer to it a great deal. The earlier edition (which I got) was a beautifully-bound hardcover production. I understand that you can now only order the paperback version.

I've run into a number of Irwin Allen fans who seem to dismiss Mr. Abbott's book because they tend not to agree with his critical opinions on some of their favorite episodes. He tends to be harsh on the episodes he doesn't like, but I found his take an honest appraisal of all of the episodes. Fans who disagree with him tend to look for nitpicks and exploit them, as if by his mistakes his opinions are rendered moot. I tend to overlook mistakes - we all make them.

Most of the book is good, solid information, if not always a truly complete guide to every episode. There are a number of times when you'll go to look at what he has to say about a particular episode and find that he went off on a tangent that didn't particularly interest you nor answer your question, but that's life. As I said, the large bulk of the book is a storehouse of information on guest stars, plot points, and the development of each series as it progresses.

In all fairness, one can tell that Mr. Abbott's favorite series of the four is THE TIME TUNNEL, and perhaps that's why I tend to enjoy the book as it's mine too. Fans whose favorite Allen series is any of the other three might tend to take a harsher view of their disagreements with Mr. Abbott's opinions.

Still, I recommend it heartily. Grab it before it disappears from print. The hardcover edition is now selling new for well over $200, and used for $99. The paperback is a pricey $39.95 of Amazon, but as I say, you'll eventually want this. Get it now!

Harry

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Harry by gosh as usual you knock my socks off with your eloquence!!! Joe always straight to the point as my English 101 teacher used to pound into my head. I am sure all of you by now know he did not pount it enough.

News item that I was shocked to find. Walmart is selling Voyage 1st season boxed set for 20 bucks.

Harry by the way Time Tunnel was my favorite show too. Voyage syndicated here in Chicago in 1987. I never dreamed I would become so attached to it in later life. Your view ponts change as you get older I think. The big CGI movies do not interest me. Independence Day I was there in the Woodfield Mall outside theater and reporters were interviewing a packed house. I only have a VHS copy and do not care about it.

Walmart had 2001 on sale for ten bucks HD. I could not sit through it all for some dumb reason. I wonder what it is???

Bewitched Fans if you read this Walmart has 2 season packs on sale for 20 bucks.

I love the 4th season episodes but I agree the 5th season might have been problematic. The show went out on a high note.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Just finished watching the Blu-ray edition of “Robinson Crusoe on Mars”, featuring two very familiar VOYAGE 4th Season guest stars – Paul Mantee and Victor Lundin.

Also played the full-length commentary track – which was a mish-mash of recorded interviews from the 90s, edited together to run for the entire film. Mantee and Lundin were among the many participants, and it was both odd and great to hear their voices out of character.

[COLOR= #ff0000]At about 1:19:15 Lundin actually mentions that he played “The Lobster Man”, and seems to imply fondness, not derision, for the role! That was great to hear! [/COLOR]

So, if you’re keeping score, VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA is mentioned in various contexts on DVD movie commentary tracks for “The Fly” (by David Hedison, of course!), “Fantastic Voyage”, “The Day the Earth Stood Still” (the original Michael Rennie version), “Robinson Crusoe on Mars”, and (of course) Tim Colliver’s excellent commentary for the VOYAGE feature film.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have this book and it's a good reference volume, even if he uses supposition over fact.I like to have some actual reviews to read rather than just dry observations, but unfortunately, his opinions and mine are almost completely at odds. He seems to dislike every episode I enjoy and vice versa. But there ya go.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Here's another vote for that book. Any time you can get an even half-way competent episode guide for an older TV series it's a good thing to snag it. Like others, I don't agree with everything Abbott writes, but I'm still glad I have the book.

Gary "I still rank 'Submarine Sunk Here' as my all-time favorite from this series" O.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Speaking of Irwin Allen, aren't there also books that talk about his projects that he made later in his career in the 70's and 80's? This one only talks about his projects from 1964-1970.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
You Are Right!! I was surprised."Master of Disaster Irwin Allen: The Disaster Years" by John William Law. The book is on Amazon.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
One thing I noticed is that some sources, including IMDB, often mistake his version of Alice in Wonderland in 1985 as his final project, when in fact, it was actually the 1986 TV movie Outrage.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The unaired pilot that is on the disc seems to be a first cut. It is missing the scene where Crane sneaks aboard the Seaiew and two scenes playing off of that. Also it appears that Theo Marcuse was the original Dr Gamma. What sy fy used was probably a final cut of the unaired pilot. I would assume that extra scenes were shot to fill out the 46 minute running time of the first cut. Also Theo Marcuse was probably not available so Werner Klemperer was used for some extra shots of Dr Gamma. Apparently Fox has a copy of this cut. It's a shame they couldn't include both versions to compare. However it is still good to have the entire series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks