What's new

Vizio m series (1 Viewer)

Raptor382

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
Hello, I'm currently looking at purchasing a new display. I'm looking at tvs around the $700 range and 55" or larger.

With this budget, I'm thinking the vizio m series would probably be the best bang for the buck. I generally like Samsung products, but in looking for a display that is 4k, as well as hdr, and at least 55" in size, there are not too many that I can get for in that price range.

I use my display for gaming, movies, and casual watching. I generally prefer blue ray over streaming for watching movies, though lately, I've not been buying too many blue ray discs, and have been mostly streaming movies.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, it seems like blue ray discs would give better quality because the data is being played locally by the blue ray player, rather than having to be downloaded while you watch, as with streaming content, which could lead to reduced quality if your internet connection has issues.

Also, I've heard vizio displays are good for gaming because they are generally lower in their response time.

Vizio offers the m55-d0 for about $650 and the m55-e0 for about $680, both at best buy. Both are 4k uhd, both have HDR. I believe the -d0 is the 2016 model and the -e0 is the 2017 model.

Has anyone compared these side by side? I would normally opt for the latest model, but there are differences between the two that make it a hard choice.

For example, over at displayspecifications.com they say the d0 (2016) version has 64 dimming zones vs the e0 (2017) version that has 32.

However, the e0 has more display technology, such as ultra color spectrum, xhdr plus, xled, and xtreme black engine plus.

Also, the d0 lists dolby vision, but the e0 lists dolby vision and hdr 10.

I'm not sure if displayspecifications.com is entirely accurate though as it lists both of these displays as 60Hz native refresh, which in pretty sure both are at least 120Hz native with the 360 clear action increase.

I'm curious about hdr10 and dolby vision. I was reading an article over at techradar about these formats. It said that dolby vision displays will also play hdr10 content, but not the other way around.

What it did not say is if hdr10 devices will work with dolby vision displays. In other words, a streaming service, such as Amazon, or netflix, which broadcasts some content in hdr10 will be able to be used by displays that feature dolby vision, but, what about devices, such as PlayStation pro, which are hdr10 compliant devices, will a dolby vision tv be able to take advantage of that, or will it not work properly, since the ps pro is a hdr10 native device?

At first, my thought on the article was that all dolby vision displays would be 100% compatible with all hdr10 streaming content as well as all hdr10 physical devices, but after thinking about it, I wasn't so sure. I started thinking that DV might be compatible with all hdr10 streaming content, but not all hdr10 physical devices.

Anyway, sorry such a long post. Just wanting to understand a few things more clearly.

If anyone has a better option for a 4k display in the 55"+ range for around $700, I'm all ears....err...eyes

Thank you

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've been reading some sterling reviews for the TCL 55" P605 (P607 if you order it from Amazon). It has 72 zones of local dimming, FALD, both HDR10 and Dolby Vision, and a short lag time perfect for playing video games. There are quite a few videos on YouTube extolling its quality for its cheap price. Worth checking out, I think.

Raptor382

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
I've seen the TCL display and also have heard some good things about it, though I've heard some bad as well. Mostly in the build quality. I read several reviews talking about how the border frame will separate from the screen causing some issues, granted that may have been an older version.

I hadn't really considered them much as they seem to be a newcomer to the field of the television world, or at least I hadn't heard of them until about a week ago.

Though, they do pack quite a lot of features into their displays at an attractive price point. I had been looking at more established brands, but I'll definitely do some more research on that brand. Who knows, I may be able to move to a larger size with a good feature set, for the same price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks