What's new

Video Essentials & Toshiba RPTV (1 Viewer)

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
I just got a new Toshiba 43H71. Out of the box, it looked terrible. I used Video Essentials on both the S-Video and Component inputs. I found that I had to turn the Contrast, Brightness and Color up from the "movie" settings. In the case of the later two, the increase wasn't small, either. I've used VE on three televisions and have never had to turn the values up. Has anyone else experienced this? The final values were Contrast 55, Brightness 71 (!) and Color 72 (!). Tint was minus 17.

I can't help but wonder if there's something wrong with my set. DVDs look fabulous, at least the good ones. Digital cable is much worse than with my old analog RPTV.

I'd appreciate input so that I can decide what to do with the set. Thank you.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Wow, your settings seem high to me. I'll post again after I get home and check my Tosh 65H80.

What DVD player are you using and does it have a "blacker than black" setting? Which way you set that will make a difference in what your settings are.

As for cable (digital or analog), if there is noise in the video signal to begin with, most RPTV's only magnify the problem. Not much you can do about that except get a dish.

Peace,

DM

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Your contrast seems high ... should be in the 30 to 40 range and rarely higher.

Are you sure you are using the pluge pattern and needle pulse pattern correctly for determining optimal contrast settings? Because if you are using these patterns to determine this, you are using the wrong patterns!!

These patterns merely tell you where not to set the contrast, not where the optimal point is.

Stick to the 30/40 rule.

Regards

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies. It seems high to me, too. My previous Toshiba RPTV had contrast and brightness settings of 35 and 40. respectively. But when I used Video Essentials, the set didn't go into blooming until the mid fifties and and I couldn't see the black and gray bars in the pluge pattern until the brightness was in the sixties and low seventies. If I set the new RPTV at 35-40 I couldn't see anything, no matter how dark the room was. While the set looks good, I'm concerned that there's something wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks