What's new

Video card requirements for 64-bit Windows 7? (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I’d like to upgrade my laptop from 32-bit Windows 7 to 64-bit. Judging from what I see on the Windows website, it looks like my computer has ample RAM and processing power for 64-bit, but I am concerned about the video card requirement. They say I need a “DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.” I looked up my video card and it’s a “Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1).”
Am I correct in assuming that what really matters here is the “WMMD” spec, and my video card will support Windows 7 64-bit?
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yes, it will run fine. You can run it on less, you just won't get aero. But you'll be fine with an intel 4x series.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Pardon my cluelessness, but what’s an aero? If I understand, that would only be a problem with a video card less than 1.0?
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
No, you can't be less then a 1.0. a 1.0 means you can't run Aero.

Aero just means transparencies, dragable video boxes, opaque windows and the ability to move in-function video and directX streams.

If you have a 1.0, Windows is still usable, just without the features of the Aero interface.

But an Intel 4X series (like 41G/43G/45G) chipset will do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks