Video Cable in place coaxial audio cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter-Ts, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Peter-Ts

Peter-Ts Auditioning

Is it possible for me to use a high quality video cable to replace my ordinary coaxial audio cable (connecting my DVD to my receiver)? It seem to work and i can't really notice any difference in loss of audio.

Is there any negative effects on doing so? What's the main difference between the two cables anyway?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

The video cable is overkill for audio and the only negative effect is the cost.

Video cables need a much greater frequency response (sometimes expressed as bandwidth), upwards of 30 megahertz for HDTV. Video cables also must have what is referred to as 75 ohm impedance, which can be proven only with laboratory equipment.

Generally you can't tell the difference just by looking and comparing. The primary intrinsic difference is the kind of plastic lining between the center conductor and surrounding coaxial braid or shield.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Any cable should work fine actually. I remember back in 1998, someone here even used hanger wire.....

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

5. Iver

Iver Second Unit

It's a digital connection, meaning what's passed down the cable is two voltages (two voltage levels, that is), one representing zero and the other representing the numeral one.

That would probably explain why a regular audio cable works. The cable is just passing the two voltages, not really a job that requires a high-performance piece of wire.

6. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I at one point used 12 foot RCA-RCA speaker cable that worked fine when I had my computer hooked up coax digital out to my reciever at the time. have used many different cables in the past and never had problems, but nowadays I've got everything connected via optical.

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

8. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

To answer original question:

Yes, you can.

For longer runs between rooms/floors, use decent RG-6 cable.. from Home Despot, or if you do not feel like doing it yourself, give Brad from BetterCables a call.

Now I must admit - I forgot to run coax down to my office in the basement. Instead, I am using a nice long run of Cat5 :).

My M-audio card has no troubles with locking on signal; Denon 3300 worked as well. Only Sony 595 was sometimes dropping signal...

Good luck,

_zjt