What's new

Press Release USHE Press Release: Licorice Pizza (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
That’s putting words in my mouth.

In fact, I said the opposite of what you seem to think I said. I think it would have been of vital important for the “I love you” to have had that additional context. Had Alana said all of the things I suggested she may have meant, the ending would play differently than it does. But she doesn’t say those things.

I have no idea if they go and have sex. Doesn’t matter if they do or don’t. The film ends with a 25 year old expressing feelings of romantic love to a minor, and that for me creates a great deal of uncertainty for how to contextualize the content of the film. A line that shouldn’t be crossed is crossed and then the film abruptly ends.

Yes, I meant...

I agree with the things you felt she should have said after "I love you." but I don't feel she had to say them. I don't think the "I love you." is at all romantic nor meant that way. I believe after they go back into the pinball arcade Gary says something like "I'd like to introduce you all to Mrs. Alana Valantine." and she gets pissed and calls him an idiot, I think. I think she is still in big sister/friend mode and not in romantic feelings mode. I think she just discovers that Gary is a real friend whereas all the other guys she encounters really are not.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
Yep, given the dynamic of that relationship, I choose to believe that after credits rolled, they walked for two blocks together before Alana got grossed out, slapped Gary, and walked home by herself.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw the 70mm print in London , the best bit of this movie was the 2001 MGM Logo at the end:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bought this on digital. Watched it over the weekend with my girlfriend.

In all, we both lost interest in the film more than halfway through. While we enjoyed the nostalgic setting of the 70s along with quite a few pop culture references, it was the story that often had us scratching our heads and slowly checking out.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
I noticed this morning that the 4K Dolby Vision version of the film has been removed from iTunes, and a 4K SDR version is now available.

Kyle_D

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle Dickinson
The Blu-ray came with a code to redeem the 4K iTunes version, so I did some brief comparisons this morning. I've noticed the HDR version has been added and removed several times from iTunes, but the iTunes version I sampled this morning was in HDR. The 4K stream is marginally sharper, but the grain is noticeably blockier due to iTunes compression. The differences between the HDR and SDR grades are also marginal. Colors are ever-so-slightly bolder in the 4K HDR, but the contrast on the SDR Blu-ray appeared a bit more film-like. I ended up preferring the Blu-ray due to the more natural grain presentation, with the other differences falling in the "splitting-hairs" realm.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I’d love to hear what RAH has to say about the look of this on BD, given the recent comments on The Godfather Trilogy and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

For me, I look at this and it looks like film. I see grain that looks like grain, and the colour palate is accurately 70s.

Haven’t finished it yet, but very much in the shaggy, rambling vein of most PTA films, which I really like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks