What's new

USHE Announcement: The Jerk (1979)(Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
39604_large.jpg

(This is not the product cover art)

Headline Date: TBA Release Date: 7/9/2013
THE JERK Product Source: Theatrical Theatrical Studio: Universal Theatrical Release: 12/14/1979 Synopsis: That wild and crazy guy, Steve Martin, makes his film-starring debut in the wacky comedy hit The Jerk. Steve portrays Navin Johnson, adopted son of a poor black sharecropper family, whose crazy inventions lead him from rags to riches and right back to rags. Along the way, he’s smitten with a lady motorcycle racer, survives a series of screwball attacks by a deranged killer, becomes a millionaire by inventing the “Opti-grab” handle for eyeglasses – and shows why he’s one of the hottest comic performers in the world. Blu-ray Widescreen (61119599) : Disc 1 (Side A) Format: Blu-ray UPC: 0-2519-21120-7-2 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 7/9/2013 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 34 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: BD-50 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case with Slip Sleeve Layers: Single Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 French Canadian DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Subtitles: English SDH Spanish Edition: - Picture: Widescreen Version: Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UltraViolet Color/B&W COLOR Rating: R CARA Rating: - Bonus Features: • Digital Copy of The Jerk (redeem by 4/30/2015) • Includes UltraViolet (redeem by 4/30/2015) DVD Widescreen 26th Anniversary Edition(61027340) : Disc 1 (Side A) Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-27340-2-1 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: - Street Date: 3/6/2012 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 34 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case Layers: Single Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround French Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono Subtitles: English SDH French Spanish Edition: 26th Anniversary Edition Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: R CARA Rating: [deleted]N/A Bonus Features: • Learn How to Play "Tonight You Belong to Me" • The Lost Filmstrips of Father Carlos Las Vegas de Cordova • Theatrical Trailer • Production Notes DVD Widescreen (61126236) : Disc 1 (Side A) Format: DVD UPC: 0-2519-21841-6-1 Unit Type: Standard Number of Media: 1 Street Date: 7/9/2013 PreOrder Date: Run Time (HH:MM): 1 Hour 34 Minutes Language: English Disc Type: DVD-9 (Single Sided) Packaging: Snap Case with Slip Sleeve Layers: Single Audio: English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround French Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono Subtitles: English SDH French Spanish Edition: - Picture: Anamorphic Widescreen Version: - Color/B&W COLOR Rating: R CARA Rating: [deleted]N/A Bonus Features: • Learn How to Play "Tonight You Belong to Me" • The Lost Filmstrips of Father Carlos Las Vegas de Cordova • Theatrical Trailer • Production Notes

AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
HE HATES THESE CANS!

No hesitation to preorder. Looking forward to
owning this on Blu!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
So it reads that the Blu-ray will not have the the bonus features. I am sure that is a mistake.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Just don't screw up the transfer, Universal. If the extras are somewhere on the disc, it's better than not having them at all, but it is still inconvenient.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
"The new phone books are here!"

I love this film, but I am not sure I need it on BD. The DVD should be enough.

Oh, who am I kidding? I'll probably end up buying it if the price is right, even though I hate the way Universal authors their discs. It takes forever to get to the actual film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, cover art finally surfaced....

PhotoshopScreenSnapz001.jpg

...it's horrid. I cancelled my Animal House
preorder because of this crappy cover.

Suppose there are no other alternatives. Sigh.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
My suspicion is what you're seeing in terms of the cover art is the slipcase...the actual blu-ray shell casing is probably more conventional-looking and a helluva lot less objectionable, Ron...

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps one of the HTF old-timers can help me remember the details about the soundtrack (musical number) change in 'The Jerk' for home release?

In the theatrical version, the song/music that was playing over the radio when Mavin (Steve Martin) declares the music speaks to him is a number titled "Crazy Rhythm." Then, somewhere along the home video release timeline, a different musical number was substituted for "Crazy Rhythm." As best I can remember, the original music was used for both the VHS and Laserdisc release. The change took place with the first DVD release. In fact, the back of the DVD contained a notice that some music had been changed (I forget the exact wording).

I'm pretty sure this was all discussed online (Compuserve?) at the time of the DVD release. But lots of Googling has not been able to come up with the answer or any reference to the discussion.

Does anyone here still have the VERY FIRST DVD release? I'd be interested in being reminded of the exact wording regarding the music change.

Or, maybe I'm remembering it wrong and ALL home video versions used the alternate music? (But I don't think so!)

I still own the original DiscoVision Laserdisc release of 'The Jerk.' Unfortunately, my Laserdisc player stopped working years ago and I've never bothered to get it fixed. Maybe I should spend the money just to satisfy my curiosity? :)

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Stephen_J_H said:
That notice was also on the VHS release, which in typical MCA fashion, was labeled "Home Video Version."
Stephen, Are you absolutely certain the VHS release contains the alternate musical number? And, is it a VHS version that was released in the 1980s?Any VHS versions released in the mid to late '90s would have the same soundtrack as the DVD release.

Also, whenever the change was made (with I still believe happened with the DVD release), the wording on the back of the package specifically referred to different music being used. I don't recall it being somewhat generic text like "Home Video Version".

Thanks to you and anyone else that can help me unravel this mystery!

Mark

Real Name
Stephen Altobello
Hi, Mark...

The only wording I see that might be what you're referring to doesn't mention music, per se. It's at the very bottom, in Braille-sized font, below the copyright info: "This film has been modified from its original version. It has been modified to fit your television."

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Seen today on the shelf at the Costco in La Mesa, CA:

CA_07031312465319-XL.jpg

Since I already own both of these on HD DVD, I'll wait for reviews before deciding if I should "upgrade".

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Based on screen caps posted on another forum, it appears Universal used the same transfer that was used for the HD DVD. No need to buy the Blu-ray if you own the HD DVD!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks