What's new

Use amp with blown receiver (1 Viewer)

DarkDriver

Auditioning
Real Name
Chip
I have a Marantz SR7001 7.1 receiver that I’ve had for quite some time. I’ve recently hooked it up in my theater room and did not get any sound through the center channel. After changing/checking the settings, speaker and wiring, I am assuming (and fairly confident) that the center channel amplifier is not working. I am currently fairly satisfied with my current receiver (except that the center channel doesn’t work). When I do get a new receiver I would like capabilities of running more speakers (room is currently wired for 11.2.4)and therefore would expect to pay $$$. I do not currently have a subwoofer and would eventually like to build my own powered enclosure (in order to fit subwoofer in custom space).

Would I be able to buy an amplifier to run my 8Ohm 10-125W center speaker connecting the amplifier to my preamp center channel output of my receiver?

Is it likely that the preamp signal is functioning even though there is no output from the speaker terminals of the receiver (any good way to test)?

Any suggestions on a $100 or less amplifier for this scenario (bonus if it could later be used to power a subwoofer enclosure)?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Curious, don't see amplifiers go out much.

If the pre-amp is still good, you can indeed use an outboard amp. The pre-amp can be checked with a volt meter set for low A/C voltage. The best signal source would be a steady-state signal like a sine wave – this would get a stable reading on the meter. A program source signal would get a reading that fluctuates. Either way, if you get a reading, it’s good. With no signal (such as with an unused input) the meter should show no voltage.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

DarkDriver

Auditioning
Real Name
Chip
Thanks for the reply, I thought it was a little odd that the amplifier was bad as well. I did pick up a Pyle 2x120W amplifier for about $50, hooked it up to the pre-amp outputs and it seems to be working great. I turned the volume all the way up on the amp and am letting the Marantz control the volume level of the speaker. I ran the auto setup and it adjusted the levels using the mic input. I'm not sure it is "as good as new", but it will at least save me or postpone me from replacing the receiver until later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks