What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

US release DVD VS Canadian release DVD (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator
"We regret that this does not meet with your approval but we plan to continue with a format that is inclusive of the largest number of Canadians."

So, that would be the English?

You people need any further proof that the people up there at Alliance Atlantis are delusional - just read that quote over and over. They actually believe that the French outnumber the English in Canada...

Jeff>K>B

Stunt Coordinator
No, I think they're saying that their current DVD "format" with English and French DD serves more people than English DD and English DTS. Which is probably true. But I certainly would prefer that they find a way to keep the DTS track - don't a lot of these discs have Spanish tracks that could be dropped for French in Canada?

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I think Alliance does drop Spanish tracks for French sometimes, but these aprticular discs didn't have Spanish tracks. Also, R1 Spanish tracks are generally 2.0 surround, and AA seems to want 5.1 French.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
Alliance Atlantis just posted a $10 million profit for the year. They must love being in the distribution business as their only profitable production business is CSI.

I wonder when Miramax and New Line's deal is finished with them?

Also, why is Stir Of Echoes distributed by AA? It's an Artisan film and they are owned by Lion's Gate now.

Funny thing is that AA has to create and ADD the French track to the DVD and then proceed with making new packaging? All that time and money wasted for what? sales of a few hundred copies?

Has anyone also seen packaging for videogames lately. French instruction booklet and sometimes a bilingual sleeve shrinkwrapped to the existing case. Don't know about you but this is PURE WASTE - I throw these out -no need for them. It's crazy! Someone call Greenpeace :)

Christian

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
"Ginger Snaps III: The Beginning" (2004)
Canadian DVD from Séville
Release Date: September 14th (one week after the US release from Lions Gate)

Specs:
  • Non-Anamorphic Widescreen (1.78:1)
  • English and French Dolby Digital 5.1
  • Commentary with Director Grant Harvey
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Director Grant Harvey's Video Diary
  • Wolfboy Special Effects Make-up and Stunt Rehearsal
  • Blood, Guts and Fire - Dead Scene Special Effects and Stunts
  • Costume Design
  • Behind the Scenes
  • Production Design Walk Through
  • Trailer
  • Trailer Gallery

"Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning" (2004)
US DVD from Lions Gate
Release Date: September 7th

Specs:
The back cover lists it as having a 16:9 enhanced widescreen (1.78:1) transfer, but now that the Canadian disc has proven to be non-anamorphic I'm waiting for an official word on this transfer.
  • Commentary with Director Grant Harvey
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Director Grant Harvey's Video Diary
  • Wolfboy Special Effects Make-up and Stunt Rehearsal
  • Blood, Guts and Fire - Dead Scene Special Effects and Stunts
  • Costume Design
  • Behind the Scenes
  • Production Design Walk Through

Does that US Lions Gate cover suck the big one, or what? It's horrible! I've already got the Canadian DVD from Séville pre-ordered. The Canadian cover is very nice, IMO. I also prefer having the "III" in the title as opposed to the "Back."

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Did anybody pick up the Alliance Atlantis (I presume) version of Shaolin Soccer? The way things have been going lately with Miramax releases in Canada, I expect some differences for this one too...

I just got the U.S. version yesterday and haven't watched it yet, but the package says: U.S./English dubbed (89 min.) and original Chinese (112 min.) versions, 16x9 1.85:1, DD 5.1, English/Spanish subs, French track for the U.S. version.

Edit: I might as well mention that the Canadian version was *very substantially* more expensive than the U.S. version, like Cdn$30-something vs Cdn$18 at the time.

Rolando

Screenwriter
So for Ginger Snaps is the US has no commentary? Why would you get the US one?

Can anyone confirm whether or not the Canadian Shaolin Soccer is the same as the US one?

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, dubbed versions for some reason almost always sell better in Quebec than subbed versions do.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Here's another current one maybe we can collect some info on: Dogville. This is "suspicious" as it's a Danish film, non-U.S. films are often mistreated here, like PAL->NTSC transfers etc. I am so confused about the Canadian releases of this I didn't order it yet. The Aug. 24 release seems the same as the U.S. one, superficially...anyone confirm? But what about the Oct. 5 Canadian release? What's that about? Is it just that it's French? Apparently it's unrated.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator

This is a completely separate FRENCH version being released by Universal/Alliance Atlantis. I'm not sure if the DVD has any extras or is different that the current version from Lions Gate.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
How about dts on the Can. release (WB) of The Passion of the Christ? I notice amazon.ca isn't offering the import release this time, odd.

Edited: to remove stupid WB/dts comment
...and somebody has now reported that the Canadian version does indeed have a full bitrate dts track
...as opposed to the typical half-rate dts track that's on the U.S. version. Probably only of interest to dts junkies, but still a difference. Hopefully this didn't hurt the PQ of the Can. edition...I'm sure we'll hear more about that!

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator
I read on DVD File that the upcoming Miramax DVD release of "Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman" will be a double feature that will include another Takeshi Kitano feature film "Sonatine".

Since Alliance Atlantis is the Canadian distributor for all Miramax films I am curious if the Alliance Atlantis release will contain the extra movie "Sonatine" as well or will it be dropped.

I ask this question because I am skeptical of every move Alliance Atlantis makes.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
That's the great thing about Alliance: You won't found out how they messed something up until it's out, because it's darn near impossible to get any preliminary specs on any of their releases.

For whatever reason, Rounders CE (Miramax/Alliance Atlantis) will be out one week after the US version (which should be in stores now) and I shudder to think what they're removing to make place for the French track. Maybe one of the commentaries?

Chris

Jeremy Brupaste

Stunt Coordinator
The reason Rounders is delayed a week is because Alliance is trying to figure out how to translate "Rounders" into French.

It takes time, people!

Possible titles:
"Rounders" (Version Francaise)
"Rounders: Le Gambling de Poker"
"Le Cercle Round avec Poker"

I could go on...

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
According to both dvdsoon.com and thecnl.com no French audio track or even subtitles are indicated. They're probably just taking the time to make their own cover art with their logo that's all.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
That's because Alliance Atlantis almost never gives out any info whatsoever beforehand. DVD Soon had the R rated Bad Santa release listed as WS until they had the Canadian discs in stock. Only then was the info updated to full screen only. Of course, for the customers who had preordered the disc in good faith, that info came a little too late.

Chris

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure the "Rounders" DVD will probably include a French Audio Track and subtitles since every recent Alliance Atlantis release has been the same in that respect and has fit this pattern.

That's why it could be speculated IMO that something (such as a special feature like a commentary/audio track) could possibly be dropped in sacrifice to make room for the French audio track or whatever else Alliance Atlantis decides to conjure up.

I certainly hope this is not the case but, Alliance Atlantis is so unpredictable. The decisions that are made over there by the people in charge of their home entertainment division are sometimes so peculiar, random and inexplicable that it’s hard for me to give them the benefit of the doubt anymore.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
Pretty sure?! :)

I guarantee the packaging will be bilingual. The DVD does have a French track so Alliance will just repackage the DVD (no need to ADD a French track - like Stir Of Echoes for example).

Christian

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
The Punisher.

No comic book included. Thanks Alliance. Please give all Artisan DVDs to Lions Gate so they can look after them now. Thank you.

Christian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks