What's new

US release DVD VS Canadian release DVD (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
updated first page with info that Toronto Rocks concert is 1 disc US and 2 Disc in Canada.

Added Triplets of Belleville to the list but need a break down of what is different.

Thanks.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Another one that you didn't have

Cube: Signature series is not available in Canada. The only canadian disc I could find was P&S only. Thankfully, Amazon could ship me the good widescreen SE.

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
Are there any differences (cover bilingual, content, bonus) on all the new MIRAMAX Collector Editions like COP LAND or THE ENGLISH PATIENT. Does Miramax distribute their one DVDs in Canada or is AA doing that job ?

Thanks in advance

Rolando

Screenwriter
Can anyone else confirm about cube? I wanted to get this and I am pretty sure I rented it here in Montreal in widescreen.

Oh and updated page 1 with it in case.

Left the "according to Gary" remark as originally posted but added the link from your post. Unless you want me to remove either of them Gary.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I still don't see what the deal is with "according to Gary". Gary made those comparisons and in that page, he did the report card saying that the Disney version is superior...therefore it's "according to Gary"...as in according to Gary's conclusion from those comparisons.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Re Cube: DVDSoon lists 2 WS versions (non-Signature), one just came out a couple weeks ago. They don't carry U.S. versions of DVD's. I also got the Signature edition from amazon.ca, it was the best version at the time. I have seen Signature editions of other DVD's in chain stores. What I'm getting at is, it's the popularity (or lack of) of Cube that I think is the problem here, not the availability of Signature editions per se.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Cube: Signature edition is actually supposed to be an US only title. Lions Gate owns the right to it in the States but in Canada, the right belongs to Alliance Atlantis. The old AA version was not anamorphic so I think that's why many retailers imported the US Lions Gate version. It seems like now AA has updated their dvd with a new anamorphic widescreen SE release. Don't know if the extras are the same though.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
The Abyss does and did indeed have Dolby Digital 5.1 in Canada! What happened was FOX decided to put a French track in for Quebec, thus excluding the 5.1. Unfortunantely, many merchants all across Canada were not told this and just ordered the first Abyss that was on the list...Well this was the French edition. Later on, retailers finally figured it out and I only saw the French version at a few video rental stores, here in B.C.

By the way, this was very common knowledge on the Home Theater Forum, back then. I remember posting quite a bit about it.

Jeff

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
a few weeks back dvdsoon had the criterion collection dvd of naked lunch on their site for only can$23.98 and damn i was excited to get the dvd but in the info it only said single disc release. after checking the criterion hompage and a few reviews. i found out that this dvd set was a 2 disc so i wrote to dvdsoon about how many disc are in this set and then i got this answer:

the end of the story is that you wont get this film as a criterion in canada and you have get it in a u.s. retailer or online store that stocks u.s. releases dvds. yesterday i've ordered naked lunch at deepdiscountdvd for $28.95 incl. international shipping :)

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently the new CE of trainspotting doesn't have a collectable booklet in canada and it supposedly has one in the US. I just bought the canadian version and can confirm I didn't recieve a collectable booklet of any kind. Can anyone else confirm this?

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the quick response Dan......the whole insert no insert thing always bugs me lol.....perhaps I am just insane. :P

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Strange-I actually saw this disc at Best Buy a couple weeks ago. Sure, it was $55, but a lot of Criterions are that expensive. Hadn't realized that it wasn't readily available here though.

Eric Portelance

Auditioning
Triplettes de Belleville has the original French track in Canada, but the US one only has english (I think I heard it might have Spanish, too).

The packaging is also different, as it has been stated before. And no, the Canadian version is not a PAL conversion or anything like that...it IS a Canadian film after all, it's NTSC all the way (even though there were 3 countries that collaborated on the film).

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Here's one that nobody has mentioned yet:

Smallville: The first DVD release from Warner Home Video came in 2002 as a single-disc version in Canada, which was the 91-minute re-edited version combining the pilot episode and the second episode "Metamorphosis" into one. The Season 1 box set that appeared in 2003 has the individual episodes as originally broadcast.

What's more, the Canadian single-disc release is in Dolby Digital 5.1 English, with French 2.0, Spanish 2.0 and Portuguese 2.0 language tracks, along with English, Spanish, French, Chinese, Bahasa, Thai, and Korean subtitles. The U.S. version doesn't have any of that.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Eric: are you certain of that? Most of the financing etc. was French, AA tends to use PAL->NTSC transfers from European films, the timing corresponds to a 4% PAL speedup, it *looks* like a PAL->NTSC transfer...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks