What's new

upgrade options... help me lighten my wallet (1 Viewer)

Jon Van Dalen

Auditioning
Well, I've been trying to narrow down my upgrade choices, but I keep hitting dead-ends. So, I hope some of you can offer some sound advice.
I now have:
Onkyo TX-DS474 receiver (55 wpc)
Energy take2 mains
Energy Take1 Center
Energy Encore sub
The problems are that I need surrounds and I need to plug that gap between the sub and speakers. The encore sub is great but doesn't go very high and the take2's dont go low at all, so there's a large gap in AVIA calibration. If I upgrade the mains and center and move the take2's tot he rear, this should solve the problem.
The limitations are these... fairly tight budget... I don't want to spend more than about $400 or so total. Also, I live in a small space with a small TV (20" flat).
So, the speakers I've come up with that would be improvements are the HTD level 3 and klipsch sb-1's. Please add to this list.
I chose those speakers because they extend lower than the take2's and because they have a good reputation.
Unfortunately, I see fairly major problems with the HTD's... one, the center channel is enourmous and my TV is probably too small to support it. 2, my receiver only puts out 55wpc, so I'd like a very high efficiency speaker (klipsch) 3, I live in a small room and move back home each summer by car, so large heavy speakers are a bit troublesome.
With the sb-1's... well they seem fine but i've heard the horn tweeter can get tiring to listen to. Also the matching center is more expensive.
Please, flood me with ideas! Or if you have a whole other suggestion, let that rip.
Jon

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I recently helped a friend set up a Kenwood HTB503 in his basement. I was really surprised with how good it sounded for the $500 price tag. Going this route you would get a better receiver plus 5 matching speakers and a sub. You could sell your current speakers on ebay or the forum and keep both or one of the subs.
------------------
DVD's
HT Pic's

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
If you haven't actually run out of power with the Take2's and you are happy with the volume levels they achieve then there's not really any reason to get a more sensitive speaker. It just limits your options. 55 watts may be plenty for even not-so-sensitive speakers if you're running them all set to small.
Please, flood me with ideas!
How about:
the amazing nOrh 4.0
Diva 2.1
Ascend CBM-170
Paradigm Atom/Titan

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Add the Infinity IL10 to the list. It's the best sounding bookshelf speaker I've ever heard for

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Have to disagree with you about the Infinity speakers. Didn't much care for them. My 4.0s are much, much better.
Jon,
Might I suggest taking the $400 and putting it into an Audio Adire Rava or used SVS 20-29CS (provided you have something to power it with). Postpone buying new surrounds/mains/center for now. IMO, the new sub will offer a dramatic improvement in sound and performance. OTOH, new mains, such as the ones Ryan mentioned, will offer a much improved setup and provide with a clear upgrade path. If you decide to go with the Paradigms, get the Titans and the CC-170 center. With either the Ascend, nOrh, or Swan Diva you will have to purchase the center later but all are excellent speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks