What's new

"Upgrade-itis" leading to lousy speaker combos? (1 Viewer)

Doug Clark

Grip
Ultra-newbie, here... and a little background, first.

My original setup was a Technics stereo package deal from Sears--purchased about seven years ago for around $1000. Consisted of two tower mains, a center channel, two surrounds... tuner, receiver (Pro Logic), cassette deck, 110 disc CD megachanger. I had basically everything wired into it in some way (VCR/DVD/game systems). The system was a definitely a workhorse-- and it's still going strong as I speak.

However, I've been wanting to upgrade to a "real" home theater experience-- 5.1 sound and something that really delivers in the bass department have been on my wish list for ages. The Technics system gets loud... but the output is a bit on the "muddy" side. Wear and tear and old tech, I'm assuming.

This fall saw me employed with my first "real" job (I'm 24, and a first-year high school English teacher). The increased payday has presented the first real opportunity to piece a new system together.

I was looking very low-budget to begin with-- in the $700 range for mains, center, surrounds, sub, and receiver. The plan was to start in late December by purchasing speakers (and attach them to the old Technics receiver to break 'em in)... then early January add a receiver with dts and 6.1 capabilities... then late January complete the package with a subwoofer.

Checked on audioreview.com about speakers. Saw the happy words about Fluance and loved the price tag. Purchased the AV-HTB set. Speakers are in place (though not hooked up-- I ended up donating the Technics rig to my grandparents).

The original plan was to then buy a $200-250 or so Panasonic receiver
(whatever model had dts and matched my range) and a $250 Cerwin-Vega LW-12 subwoofer at my local Rex's.

While I wait on my next paycheck... I've been educating myself on these boards and elsewhere. And... I believe I'm getting what you folks have dubbed "upgrade-itis" before I even finish assembling my parts.

Now listen (or rather, read) and tell me if I'm crazy.

Now I'm planning on purchasing a Yamaha HTR-5660 from etronics.com ($350 shipped). Still lower-budget, but it seems to have garnered decent reviews for that price range, and it definitely has the features I'm looking for.

And... of everything I want... I'm most excited about getting really nice, undistorted (for a change) LFE from a separate .1 deal (the Technics mains had 10" lows, but still). And... this forum is probably the ultimate SVS lovefest. This all being new to me, I'd never heard of the company until now. Everything I've read here and various other places has me extremely stoked on buying one of their subs.

Now I want to "upgrade" from my planned C-V to the SVS 20-39PC whenever that early February paycheck gets here.

Would that be an absolute foolish mismatch to cobble together a system consisting of the Fluance/Yamaha/SVS??

And what's worse for the wallet... I'm also drooling over the Panasonic LT-500U LCD projector as the step following the audio. I think I've got every free penny mentally spent through summer, now. *LOL*

But... I love my movies (the louder and bigger the better)-- they're the only thing that can tear me away from my books.

I apologize for the life story.
:b

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Your choice to go with the Yamaha 5660 and SVS will probably save you money in the long run. Hope you like the Fluance speakers though I know next to nothing about them. Are you planning on the SVS 20-39pci or pc+? Either way it will be much better than the CV. Congrats on landing teaching job.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Doug,

Welcome to the Home Theater Forum. I think you will find a lot of friendly people here to discuss HT with you. I have been a happy owner of three Yamaha receivers over the last 25 years.

Good luck on your upgrades. Of course, you know this is just the beginning.

Doug Clark

Grip
Graham-- thanks much for the congrats.

I believe I'm going for the PCi. My basement HT den is about 12 x 22... so I'm thinking that one'll be plenty sufficient.

I'm wary about my ceiling down there, though. I've got one of those drop-tile/panel ceilings, and it occasionally had quite the vibrations from even my old setup. I shudder (with glee and apprehension) to think what the SVS might do. *L*

Marty-- thanks much for the welcome. I hope my Yamaha (if that is what I order next Thursday) is as reliable as yours have been.

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
Doug,
I too have a Yamaha reciever, and for the money, i love it to death. Sure there is better, but they are very reliable(atleast mine has been). They also have a great sound field, especially compared to my old Kenwood(prologic). Happy hunting....that's half the fun!!1

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Doug,

Congrats on the job. Nice to see other young folks make something of themselves. Hate to be the one to spoil your fun... but be careful of your spending. It sounds like you have every paycheck spent before you even earn it, down to which month you can buy what. (which you happily admitted.) Contrary to others who feel upgrading is half the fun, I disagree. I found myself enjoying my system the most when I'm fully satisfied and proud of what I owned, never wishing, yearning, or drooling over what someone else has or something 'round the corner. When I want something, like the way I want an SVS PB2-Ultra right now, it's not as gratifying....it's as though my system is lacking.

I speak from experience. Several years ago, before my career even started, banks were too kind to lend me money and I was too frivolous. I always thought....as soon as I get out of school and the big bucks starts rolling in, I'll pay it all back. Boy was I wrong. Sure the big bucks rolled in every month, but the loan payments was a huge burden. The point is, I wasn't getting out as fast as I thought.

I read your post and I saw myself. I'm sure you are much smarter than I was. Just making sure someone isn't walking the same line I did. There are smarter ways. At least you're spending your "free" money, which is great. Have fun, but exercise caution. Good luck teaching.

Doug Clark

Grip
Wow... this place does seem like a family. *L* Nifty.

Ryan-- yeah, I'm definitely careless with my $$$. I did the credit card thing towards the end of high school and got myself into quite the pile of hock. I've taken care of most of that in the past two years (post-college).

Just recently has also been the first time since I was 17 that I haven't had a steady (and very high-maintenance) girlfriend. I think my current attitude is-- "buy the toys now, while I still can!"

And you're right-- I melted my old credit cards into a slagged little ball that I keep on the computer desk as a reminder never to go that route again. *L*

Back to the gist of my original post, though-- sounds like the Yamaha choice has been approved of so far... but my bigger question: Fluance + SVS? A match made in hell?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have a theory...

"If you die in massive debt, you have effectively taken it with you..."

Enjoy your new system, I think you have a fairly frugal plan for your first system, and decent expectations on the upgrade-itus that can follow.

cabreau

Second Unit
High-maintenance? Get out, while you still can!!! You need a woman that will let you hide in your man-room for hours without bothering you. A woman who doesn't mind the loud gunshots and missiles exploding, the authentic African tribal mask vibrating and falling off the wall is what you need. ;)

Anyway...have you shopped around other speakers? How do those Fluance speakers compare? I was just thinking of purchasing some for my backup HT system.

Doug, if I didn't get an awesome deal on my Paradigm PW-2200, I would have bought an SVS, just from reading the reviews that these guys give them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks