What's new

Upgrade advice on new receivers. (1 Viewer)

mitch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mitchell Miles
Hi All,

I am trying to decide my next move on upgrading my electronics and considering a new receiver [probably an Integra model]. I currently have an older Denon AVR-5700 which has been fantastic for my home theater, but I'm looking at getting one with HDMI.

My system currently consists of a new Sony 46" LCD, the Toshiba HD-A2 high def DVD player, the older Denon receiver [no HDMI], a Motorola hi-def digital cable box with DVR, Snell home theater speakers, and the Velodyne 15" powered sub.

How much benefit would I gain from upgrading to a new high quality receiver, like the Integra, and use the HDMI inputs vs staying with the Denon that I have now? Would the improvement be greater in both audio and video? Would I then be able to listen to the newer audio formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, etc?

Thanks as always for your help.

Mitch

Travis

Second Unit

A lot. Besides cutting down on cable clutter an HDMI receiver will allow you to listen to the advanced audio codecs available on today's hi def media. When running an optical connection the most you will be able to receive is DD+ or the core DTS track. The newer receivers are also 1.3 compatible now. While this currently has no advantage, this will lead to a much more future proof receiver (if that's possible, lol), including Deep Color and decoding of the audio codecs in the processor. Keep in mind that all components in the chain need to be 1.3 compatible to benefit.

The other advantage if you are looking at the Integra or Onkyo is the Reon VP. This is a highly touted VP which does a great job upconverting/deinterlacing. I had an 875 which I sold to purchase the 905 and have nothing but good things to say about the Reon. HTH

mitch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mitchell Miles
Travis,

Thanks for your reply. That's good advice! I thought that I was future proofing my Denon AVR-5700 when I bought it 9 years ago. It's a TXH certified unit with 5.1 processing in DD and DTS. A year later they came out with 6.1 and then 7.1 and on and on. I guess there is no such thing as future proofing!

One other thing that I have noticed since using the optical cable with the Denon and the Toshiba HD-A2 with HD-DVD's is that the volume isn't as great as it used to be with the coax cables [I have to turn the receiver volume up higher]. I'm not sure if that's an optical cable thing or an HD-DVD thing with the audio.

I was always told in the past that it's better to go direct from the DVD player to the LCD TV for a better picture. But now, I guess with new technology things have changed and it's recommended to hook up to the new receiver with HDMI for the best picture and sound.

How is watching regular DVD's affected using the newer receiver HDMI set up with picture and sound? I bet much better.

Thanks again for your input!

Mitch

Travis

Second Unit

Once again this is where the Reon will really shine. You will gain the most benefit from it on SD cable and SD DVD's.

mitch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mitchell Miles
Hi Travis,

The Integra 7.8 does not have the Reon VP. You have to go for the much more expensive [$2400] 8.8 to get the Reon VP.

I am using the optical cable from the Toshiba HD-A2 to the Denon receiver.

Thanks again,

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks