What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Updating Your Grail List For 2016 (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
As we wind down another year, and the hobby unfortunately winds down a little more, I thought it might be nice to see where we all stand compared to a few years ago. A lot has come out and some of it (Batman, Wonder Years, etc) seemed inconceivable just 3-5 short years ago. So, let's take a look at what's left on our Grail lists. At this point in the hobby, I think it's a fair assumption that much of what we don't have at this point will probably never come out (especially the Fox stuff) but let's take an inventory anyway and see where we all stand. For me, left on my grail ist are:

1) Run For Your Life

2) Hawaiian Eye

3) Tightrope

4) Richard Diamond

5) It's Your Move

6) THE Cat

7) He and She

8) 12 'O' Clock High

9) Open All Night

10) Julia

Stalled Shows Finished

1) Beverly Hillbillies

2) Silver Spoons

3) Fall Guy

4) My 3 Sons

Analysis - Truthfully my grail list hasn't changed much over the past 5 years. I picked up some great stuff, but it wasn't any grail type stuff for me. I'm coming to terms with the fact that this is probably the way my list is going to sit. Very little on here looks promising, except for possibly the completion of Beverly Hillbillies. Hope, maybe I might be in for a suprise of two somewhere down the line.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Stalled

Burke's Law

Love Boat

Fantasy Island

Ironside

Alfred Hitchcock Presents

McCloud

Love American Style

Joey Bishop Show

Unreleased

Crazy Like A Fox

Operation Petticoat

Switch

Green Hornet

And a Grail also for redoing "Odd Couple" and getting it right!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping for
young Maverick
Time Express
Chicago Teddy Bears
Xiaolin showdown season 2+
Duck Dodgers season 3
Dirty Sally
More sixties and seventies cartoons
Hope all of you get some of your Holy Grails next year. Merry Christmas.

James

Wezzo

Second Unit
It's been a good couple of years for me, as a number of my most-wanted shows - The Wonder Years, King of the Hill S7+, WKRP with music - have been released.

Remaining "grail" titles for me..

Mad About You S6-7 (already announced as a complete series set from Mill Creek)

Diff'rent Strokes S5+

Clarissa Explains It All S2+

As Told By Ginger (Nicktoon)

Two Of A Kind (1997-1998)

Tucker (2000-2001)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
-Lassie....Every season in one release(complete series), it is too late in the tv on dvd game to go season by season.

-St. Elsewhere

-Fantsay Island(season 4 and on)

-The Love Boat(season 3, and on)

-A Man Called Sloane

-The Misfits Of Science

-Ripley's Believe It Or Not(Jack Palance)

-Unsolved Mysteries(complete season sets, not segment junk like the previous releases)

-Iron Chef Japan

-BJ and The Bear

-Saturday Night Live(season 6-20)

-Happy Days(seasons 7 and up)

-Barbara Mandrell, and the Mandrell Sisters show

-USA Up All Night with Rhonda Shear

-Horror Host shows from the 60's through 80's(Any, they don't even have to be complete seasons)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
The Defenders (Complete Series)

Alfred Hitchcock Presents (Complete Series)

The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (Complete Series)

The Avengers (Complete Series)

Amazing Stories (The Complete Second Season or the Complete Series)

Cliffhangers! (Complete Series)

Perry Mason Movie Collection Volume 5

The Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel ((Complete Series)

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
At this point, many of my "most wanted" shows have been released completely or partially. Others remain unreleased or stalled. There are still plenty of shows I hope will someday become available, but here I've narrowed my wishes down to my remaining "most wanted" shows, divided into 3 categories. (Note: I'm not including shows where releases appear to be in the works, such as LA Law, which is stalled in multiple regions but now looks like it will finally be completed in Region 2 during the first half of next year.)

Still Unreleased

(Qualifier - These are shows without at least 1 season released; not counting PD or the old WB "TV Favorites" discs.)

Burns & Allen

Dragnet (50s version)

Chico & the Man

Temperatures Rising (including "New...")

New Dick Van Dyke Show

Harper Valley PTA

Switch

Lou Grant

Duet/Open House

Boston Public

Stalled

(Qualifier - These are shows with at least 1 year since the last season was released, not counting "new" repackaged releases. I didn't include those shows that may be stalled in Region 1 but are complete and available in other regions.)

Medical Center

One Day at a Time

Room 222

Green Acres

Petticoat Junction

Archie Bunker's Place

Benson

Newhart

St. Elsewhere

My Three Sons*

* This one just needs to start over, preferably with a complete series megaset. The previous M3S releases had missing/replaced music, with seasons divided into volumes. Is it any wonder that sales weren't high enough to keep going?

Most Wanted Shows That Would Be Blind Buys (or Nearly Blind Buys)

(Qualifier - These are shows that I've only read about or merely seen clips or, at best, 1 or 2 episodes. But I really think I would like them and wish they would be released.)

Forever Fernwood

Hot L Baltimore

Tightrope

Rescue 8

King of Diamonds

The Defenders

Our Miss Brooks

Now, I realize that the chances of seeing most of these 27 shows happen is unlikely for various reasons. Some shows I'll have to settle for whatever I'm able to record from TV (such as I've done with Burns & Allen thanks to Antenna TV's reruns). For some shows I won't even get that much. Still, it's nice to think about. With any luck maybe at least a couple of the stalled shows on my list will get un-stalled, and a couple of unreleased shows will finally become available, within the next couple of years before everything becomes about streaming and the chances of ANY further shows coming out on disc is unlikely.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Jack P said:
And a Grail also for redoing "Odd Couple" and getting it right!

I would happily repurchase this series if it was given a proper, unedited rerelease.

Sadly, I won't hold my breath.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The dubious reaction of Felix to Pernell Roberts suddenly breaking out into "Cocktails For Two" was always one of my favorite moments in the series. That remains the one episode ruined I'm most unhappy about.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Most of these are long shots, but holy grail pipe dreams left and there is a bit of renewed hope courtesy of some independent companies for a few of them.

O'Hara US Treasury, Owen Marshall Counselor at Law, The Mississippi, Kaz, Police Woman, T.J. Hooker, Dan August, Who's the Boss, MacGruder and Loud, King's Crossing, Richard Boone Show, The Marshal, Movin' On, Court Martial, Delvecchio, Griff, Nobody's Perfect, Lucas Tanner, Lottery!, Whirlybirds, Houston Knights, Iron Horse, Name of the Game. And the even more unlikely Hec Ramsey, Baretta, Hagen, Breaking Away, Lancer, James at 15, Trapper John MD, Judd for the Defense.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Jack P said:
Unreleased

Crazy Like A Fox
Very definitely that! I have never seen that 1984-86 CBS detective/adventure series w/Jack Warden and John Rubinstein, and if Shout! released it, I would most assuredly grab it up.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Chiming in on the Saturday morning department:

Devlin

These were the Days

Run Joe Run

Westwind

Barrier Reef

And my Holiest of Holy Grails:

Hot Wheels & Skyhawks

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Same as always:

All the WB Detective Shows, The Alaskans, Colt .45, The Lineup, Wichita Town, The Defenders, East Side/West Side, Slattery's People, and others

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
It's a Living

Alice

One Day at a Time

The Donna Reed Show

Phyllis

Petticoat Junction

Rhoda S5

Green Acres

Murphy Brown

My Three Sons

The Hogan Family

Just the Ten of Us

I have recorded almost everything above except the later One Day at a Time's and I don't have more than a handful of Donna Reed episodes from the last three seasons. I wish Sony would relent and let MPI and Me-TV have them if they agree to foot the bill for new transfers.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Jack P said:
The dubious reaction of Felix to Pernell Roberts suddenly breaking out into "Cocktails For Two" was always one of my favorite moments in the series. That remains the one episode ruined I'm most unhappy about.
A far cry from a corrected DVD set, but I just learned that Hulu is offering about a third of the series on its service and all the episodes they have are completely uncut with no music replacements. Among the episodes they currently offer are Strike Up the Band...or Else and Our Fathers. The former is the episode you cited as being most hurt by the DVD edits (and I agree). The latter contains the one scene I had never before been able to watch in any form. So after more than 35 years of watching reruns of the series, I just saw a new Odd Couple scene for the first time.

Hulu is a paid service, but they offer a free week-long trial membership if you want to see the episodes.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
-Lassie....Every season in one release(complete series), it is too late in the tv on dvd game to go season by season.

-St. Elsewhere

There's only one for me. But it's a big one (at least in my mind): St. Elsewhere.

And much like Bryan's thinking with Lassie, St. Elsewhere should just be issued in a complete series set. Get it done and over with in one fell swoop.

The lack of availability of St. Elsewhere continues to boggle me. I think it would do fairly well. But the longer they wait...

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
So "Our Fathers" even includes Giorgio Tozzi's long-lost off-key rendition of "Old Man River?"

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Jack P said:
So "Our Fathers" even includes Giorgio Tozzi's long-lost off-key rendition of "Old Man River?"
That's the one! I won't spoil the context for you.

Any other examples of shows edited because of music rights on DVD being available uncut on a streaming service? Or does this imply that some new arrangements were made by CBS?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks