What's new

Unreleased to DVD Year to Year 1970-1985 (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg /t/319995/unreleased-to-dvd-year-to-year-1970-1985/30#post_3930837
8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE has been released in multiple countries. I have an Aussie release, which it turned out was 4x3 letterbox, so I re-bought the film via Second Sight, which is 16x9. There is at least one other release, an Eastern European country, I believe. Aussie has a much better cover (faithful to the original one-sheet artwork), however.

Just commenting on what has been released on DVD in the UK (and occasionly other countries in Europe and Austrailia as well).

Out of the 1984 list, has the Patrick Duffy film Vamping had a Region 1 release?

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
WaveCrest said:
Just commenting on what has been released on DVD in the UK (and occasionly other countries in Europe and Austrailia as well).
Out of the 1984 list, has the Patrick Duffy film Vamping had a Region 1 release?
No,this should be with MGM

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Maybe not never, but my buddy spoke with Damon...the man produced the film and he doesn't know who it resides with anymore. The other studios I mentioned also pleaded ignorance. Maybe if Ashby were still alive he'd sue them as Friedkin is suing Uni and Paramount over SORCERER...or maybe not.
IIRC, another friend has tried to program HEAVENLY BODIES and been told by MGM that they do not have rights. :confused:
UCLA has a print of SECOND HAND HEARTS (aka THE HAMSTER OF HAPPINESS). Unfortunately, it has turned very pink. I have seen images of 35mm frames from that print. Not good. Not sure if it's still there, but someone uploaded the film (from an old tv broadcast, I imagine) onto Youtube.
Louis Letizia said:
I think you may be right...this may never be released here. The other PSO releases....HEAVENLY BODIES and MISUNDERSTOOD were MGM theatricals but haven't reached MOD yet....unless they aren't controlled by MGM now.
SHORT CIRCUIT seems to be the one PSO produced film that has been in constant release. Is its Image release through Columbia?
Interesting and eclectic slate of films Damon produced. 8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE was a great modern nourish. That along with SECOND HAND HEARTS are the only 2 Ashby films not on DVD. But at least we can get 8 MILLION in some form...HEARTS after its disastrous 5 day run at the Coronet in 1981 never even appeared on cable.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
WaveCrest said:
OK, Rich. Can't hurt to have even more information, particularly since some films have appeared on neither US or UK discs.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Jon Hertzberg said:
Maybe not never, but my buddy spoke with Damon...the man produced the film and he doesn't know who it resides with anymore. The other studios I mentioned also pleaded ignorance. Maybe if Ashby were still alive he'd sue them as Friedkin is suing Uni and Paramount over SORCERER...or maybe not.
IIRC, another friend has tried to program HEAVENLY BODIES and been told by MGM that they do not have rights. :confused:
UCLA has a print of SECOND HAND HEARTS (aka THE HAMSTER OF HAPPINESS). Unfortunately, it has turned very pink. I have seen images of 35mm frames from that print. Not good. Not sure if it's still there, but someone uploaded the film (from an old tv broadcast, I imagine) onto Youtube.
The more I look at the morsels of films not yet in DVD from that period...I think its more a financial decision. None of them were boxoffice hits...nor probably did well on video. As the economy has dwindled studios...and I cont blame them....see nonprofit margin in any of these.
Other reasons...of course...coexist. I'm almost positive...but cannot prove...that Eastwood has stopped the DVD release of former hf Sondra Locke's directorial films RATBOY a nd IMPULSE. The former barely got released but the later was pretty good.
The only one above that would do well...RAD...but its time is running out as its audience is getting a little long in the tooth. My nephew...31...is perfectly happy with Vhs of. RAD and LEGEND OF BILLIE JEAN...2 of his childhood raves...that when BILLIE JEAN came on DVD he said he wouldn't upgrade. In fact he recently took a box fullnof Vhs from me...many of which are on Dvd...including MONSTER SQUAD ....and shows them to his 5 year old son.
Interesting about SECIND HAND HEARTS...but I see absolutely nonmarket for that anyway.
HEAVENLY BODIES was a fun movie...Fox's GIMME AN F.... very similar...at least gets respect by FMC showings

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
They're certainly not going to put these things out if they will lose money, of course. Many of these films, as you rightly mention, were not financial successes during their initial release and / or, in the case of 8 MILLION, huge, painful losers...IIRC, Mark Damon talks quite candidly about this in his autobiography from a few years back; Ashby's film essentially pushed PSO to the brink and the company went under in '86, not long after 8 MILLION sunk at the box office.
Also, it seems that many of the films on these lists are titles that slipped through the cracks in terms of who owns them and they weren't / aren't profitable enough for the powers that be to sort though the "mess" / morass. During the DVD heyday of several years ago, we probably would have seen some of these "M.I.A.s" had their rights not been tangled.
Louis Letizia said:
The more I look at the morsels of films not yet in DVD from that period...I think its more a financial decision. None of them were boxoffice hits...nor probably did well on video. As the economy has dwindled studios...and I cont blame them....see nonprofit margin in any of these.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg /t/319995/unreleased-to-dvd-year-to-year-1970-1985/30#post_3930950
OK, Rich. Can't hurt to have even more information, particularly since some films have appeared on neither US or UK discs.

Nope, nothing wrong with that. It gives people a better idea of how many releases there of titles (DVD Compare list the releases for titles as well). A Charles Bronson film which I'd not read much about, Caboblanco (1980), had had a limited edition European DVD release (worth getting if you're a Charles Bronson fan).

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
WaveCrest said:
Nope, nothing wrong with that. It gives people a better idea of how many releases there of titles (DVD Compare list the releases for titles as well). A Charles Bronson film which I'd not read much about, Caboblanco (1980), had had a limited edition European DVD release (worth getting if you're a Charles Bronson fan).
In fact there's even a German Blu-ray of CABOBLANCO. Been curious about that one for awhile.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Jon Hertzberg said:
In fact there's even a German Blu-ray of CABOBLANCO. Been curious about that one for awhile.
I have CaboBlanco on an off brand label-it came double featured with Lola. Its not as bad as you think it could be. Avco Embassy released this on the coat tails of what everyone thought would be a big hit -Death Hunt(it flopped) in May 1981.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg /t/319995/unreleased-to-dvd-year-to-year-1970-1985/30#post_3931432

Are there any extras on the German Blu-ray of Caboblanco? Depends on what the picture/print quality is like, but have looked at the front cover artwork, and I don't think it's as good as the limited edition DVD release (which looked hand drawn).

There has been a German DVD release of the Charlie Sheen sci-fi film The Wraith (1986), which was released in Germany under the title Interceptor. Since I last checked Amazon Germany, it's gone up in price somewhat.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
WaveCrest said:
Are there any extras on the German Blu-ray of Caboblanco? Depends on what the picture/print quality is like, but have looked at the front cover artwork, and I don't think it's as good as the limited edition DVD release (which looked hand drawn).
From the Blu-ray.com German Blu-ray forum:
CABOBLANCO looks very good considering its something of a mistreated/forgotten film. 91 minute running time so I believe it's uncut (same running time as my ancient US DVD which looks awful by comparison).
Caboblanco: (Region A/B tested with US PS3)
For the person who wanted info on Caboblanco not sure if it is
uncut or not... runs 91 mins.
Picture is pretty good not amazing
picture wise you can compare it to the UK imports of Escape to Athena
or Boys from Brazil... IMO worth picking up!
Official website indicates trailer and "Making of" as features.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Beside each title or most titles is the UK DVD/Blu-ray release that I know of, unless stated that they've been released elsewhere in Europe (source: Amazon UK):

1983:

Go For It - released in the UK on Region 0 DVD by Square Trading in 2005 (never heard of them. Public domain label?)
Twice Upon a Time
Blue Skies Again
Independence Day
Better Late than Never - released on DVD in Spain, but appears to be OOP
Deadly Eyes
Lonely Lady
Second Thoughts
To Begin Again
Marvin and Tige
The Keep
Beyond the Limit (aka The Honorary Consul) - released on DVD in Germany in 2007
The Man Who Wasnt There
Safari 3000
Kamikaze 89
Sahara
Funny Money
Young Warriors
Wicked Lady
One More Chance
Treasure of the Four Crowns
Deadly Force
Get Crazy
Cross Country
Last Plane Out
Wavelength
Utilities
Space Raiders
Hambone and Hillie
Jimmy the Kid
The Funny Farm
La Traviata
Threshold
Reuben Reuben
Betrayal
Grey Fox
Ballad of Gregorio Cortez
Exposed
Gospel
Hanna K
Now and Forever - released on Region 4 in Austrailia by Umbrella Entertainment
The Final Option (aka Who Dares Wins) - released in the UK by Arrow Video
Smurfs and the Magic Flute - not certain, but Fabulous Films in the UK have released The Smurfs and the Magic Flute on DVD and Blu-ray in 2010
Spring Fever
For Those I Loved
Comeback (aka Love is Forever) - released on DVD in the UK by Pegasus Entertainment in 2008
Hells Angels Forever
Purple Haze.

Thanks John for the helpful info about the German Blu-ray of Caboblanco.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Jon Hertzberg said:
From the Blu-ray.com German Blu-ray forum:
Official website indicates trailer and "Making of" as features.
I just might pick that up! I recently bought a region free bluray player -was tired of collection non region one dvds thinking they would eventually come to r1 (i know-im thinking in the box-but the fact that i bought them means otherwise).
I'm assuming, like our bluray players it will play non bluray? I bought this specifically for The Devils and Taking Off-but bought it as Bluray for Rolling Thunder. Now I can finally break down and watch one of my favorite comedies -The Fortune. Have a bad movie good time with Endless Love (Shirley Knight gives one of the best worst performances ever Im surprised she wasnt Oscar nominated) and Sidney Sheldon's Bloodline .and watch those AFD thrillers ASAP -Escape to Athena/ Firepower since they are still AWOL in the USA. tHIS HAS OPENED UP NEW POSSIBILITIES.
Footnote: perhaps the only Bronson film not on DV D-legit or foreign-is Borderline and Love and Bullets here in u.s. While I'm not crazy about the latter (saw this at a Times Square theater in September 1979-with 5 other people)- i like Borderline alot.
Now if we can only get Killer Fish!
Has the OOP anchor Bay AFDs Times Square(a guilty pleasure) and Honky Tonk Freeway now Lionsgate?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I bought an Italian DVD of KILLER FISH. It's OK...but I think you can watch the whole thing on YouTube. BORDERLINE is I think available on DVD from DaaVeeDee.com look for it online or search the title on Amazon. FIREPOWER can be downloaded from Amazon.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Bob Cashill said:
I bought an Italian DVD of KILLER FISH. It's OK...but I think you can watch the whole thing on YouTube. BORDERLINE is I think available on DVD from DaaVeeDee.com look for it online or search the title on Amazon. FIREPOWER can be downloaded from Amazon.
Youtube has become another souurce for obsolete flix...if you can deal with the 10 minte each parts (which I kinda like-you feel like you are controlling it). I caught many tv movies that have never made it to video. Pretty cool.
I've only downloaded Lionsgate's Movie,
Movie from Amazon. It was a must have for me-but quality isnt so great

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Beside each title or most titles is the UK DVD/Blu-ray release that I know of, unless stated that they've been released elsewhere in Europe (source: Amazon UK):

1982:

Five Days One Summer - released on DVD twice in Spain, in 2006 by Warner (in English without subtitles), and by Creative Films, but both appear to be OOP
Hey Good Lookin'
Soup for One
The Tragedy of a Ridiculous Man
Six Weeks
Death Valley
Puberty Blues - released on DVD in Austrailia by Umbrella in 2003
Megaforce - released on DVD in the Netherlands
I, The Jury
I Ought to Be in Pictures
Heidi's Song
Fighting Back
Pandemonium
The Soldier - released on DVD in the UK by Cinema Club in 2005, but appears to have gone OOP
Jaws of Satan
Hospital Massacre
Melanie
The Challenge
Paradise - released on DVD by Universal in 2006
Highpoint
Tag: The Assassination Game
Sorceress
Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean
Piaf: The Early Years
The Weavers
The Concrete Jungle - released on DVD in the UK by Pegasus Entertainment in 2008
AC/DC: Let There Be Rock! - released on DVD and Blu-ray in the UK by Warner Home Video last year
Maya
It Came From Hollywood
The First Time
Don't Cry, It's Only Thunder
Inchon
Intimate Moments
If You Could See What I Hear
Yol - possibly been released on DVD in Europe
Trick or Treats
Heartaches
By Design
Brain Wash
Great White
Force: Five
Satan's Mistress
Private Popsicle
Fast Lane Fever (aka Running on Empty) - released on DVD in Germany
The Personals
Next Year If All Goes Well
Split Image.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
While updating this list (finally able to scratch MEGAFORCE!), there are still many titles in these 15 years id love to see.
With WB announcing its Paramount deal and Shout!eleasing genre and none genre Universals and the great Olive (also Para) and Criterion (almost all major studios) as well as the Columbia, Universal and Warner MODs (no MGM left) and the new Fox one, maybe we will see an upkick here.
Im most interested in the libraries the majors once handled...Palomar and Melvin Simon specifically-as to where they land.
Ive also added a few.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Louis Letizia said:
I think you may be right...this may never be released here. The other PSO releases....HEAVENLY BODIES and MISUNDERSTOOD were MGM theatricals but haven't reached MOD yet....unless they aren't controlled by MGM now.
SHORT CIRCUIT seems to be the one PSO produced film that has been in constant release. Is its Image release through Columbia?
Interesting and eclectic slate of films Damon produced. 8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE was a great modern nourish. That along with SECOND HAND HEARTS are the only 2 Ashby films not on DVD. But at least we can get 8 MILLION in some form...HEARTS after its disastrous 5 day run at the Coronet in 1981 never even appeared on cable.
Until recently, WB was taking theatrical bookings on HEAVENLY BODIES (its release window meant it fell within their ownership of the MGM titles up to '86), but they have stated they do not have video rights. The lack of a release on MISUNDERSTOOD as well suggests both films are in the same limbo as 8 MILLION WAYS. Strangely, WB released a PSO project, CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR, and the video rights initially went to the former CBS/Fox (who also put out HEAVENLY BODIES and SHORT CIRCUIT on tape), but somehow reverted back to WB.
The Image DVD of SHORT CIRCUIT was credited directly to PSO, or someone handling that library - Columbia and Sony had no involvement.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Death of a Soldier was released by Avenue One in Australia on dvd, may be out of print by now.
Young Warriors was a Cannon production from 1984 -- Ernest Borgnine and Richard Roundtree as two cops after college students turned vigilantes -- that's one that deserves to be on dvd.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Off my head, I tried to think of all the PSO-associated movies that have had split rights situations between theatrical and home video. Some of their movies have stayed put - THE NEVER ENDING STORY was released by WB and they still have it, 9 1/2 WEEKS was released by MGM and is also now at WB through the Turner buyout. But then there are others that seem to follow a pattern.
Vestron had a bunch of movies that, while released by other studios, came to them through a PSO deal. They were
THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
VENOM
DEAD AND BURIED
Moroder's METROPOLIS
With the exception of METROPOLIS, which reverted to the Murnau Foundation, all have been reissued by Blue Underground, and I believe are credited to Icon Entertainment, Mel Gibson's former production company which is now independent. BU also acquired Ralph Bakshi's FIRE AND ICE, which PSO licensed to the former RCA/Columbia Pictures label for VHS.
Meanwhile, CBS/Fox handled these PSO titles
SHORT CIRCUIT
8 MILLION WAYS TO DIE
CLAN OF THE CAVE BEAR
HEAVENLY BODIES
As noted above, CLAN went back to WB, and someone representing the assets of PSO licensed SHORT CIRCUIT to Image, though now that I think about it, it may have been through a limited license from Fox, as in that window, they also put out some Melvin Simon Productions films like THE MAN WITH BOGART'S FACE and ZORRO THE GAY BLADE, and the Fox-released Island Pictures pickup A NIGHT IN THE LIFE OF JIMMY REARDON.
I am wondering if HEAVENLY BODIES may have bypassed PSO and in fact reverted back to its Canadian producers, RSL Corporation, or what's left of them. CBS/Fox also handled some of their product for home video, most notably the erotic thriller BEDROOM EYES, so maybe their rights to BODIES came from RSL and not PSO.
Now, maybe Icon has those other PSO movies mentioned above. But if Icon perhaps got those other PSO movies, why didn't Blue Underground release them too? Music rights maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks