What's new

Universal Vault Series - Amazon.com exclusive DVD-Rs (1 Viewer)

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Another Universal Vault pre-order: For Love or Money (1963) with Kirk Douglas, Mitzi Gaynor, Gig Young, Thelma Ritter, and Julie Newmar.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
An additional pre-order: Next Time We Love (previously released in the James Stewart: Screen Legend Collection) with Margaret Sullavan and, of course, James Stewart.

gcardu10

Agent
Real Name
Greg C.
gcardu10 said:
Other titles are being listed for Pre-order as well, including "Little Man, What Now?" (1934) with Margaret Sullavan (an excellent, though largely forgotten film).This makes the removal of so many other Universal Vault Series titles from Amazon, of late, seem even stranger.I just sent an email to Amazon Help asking for information about the removed titles. I expect to get a typical canned answer from Amazon, and may end up calling, but don't feel like making a call right now.If I learn anything new I will post it here.
Response from Amazon:Hello, I understand your concern with regards to the Amazon's direct deal with Universal Vault Series. Its actually like this. The item is not directly shipped from Amazon's facilities. The customer has to order first, then the DVD is going to be manufactured, then shipped to the customer. And the manufacturing of the Universal Vault Series is handled by our affiliate CreateSpace. CreateSpace, a member of the Amazon.com group of companies, provides on-demand publishing of books, DVDs, and CDs. CreateSpace allows authors and artists to sell their works as books, CDs, or DVDs without having to pay for inventory. The print-on-demand service produces units as customers order, so there is no inventory needed. Content providers can use CreateSpace as a one-stop solution to distribute their work through Amazon.com. You can find out more here: http://www.createspace.com I have also passed your feedback along to customer service at CreateSpace as well as our Instant Video team here at Amazon.com--I'm sure they will appreciate your comments about your experience. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Justin Ray said:
Another Universal Vault pre-order: For Love or Money (1963) with Kirk Douglas, Mitzi Gaynor, Gig Young, Thelma Ritter, and Julie Newmar.
That one I'll buy. I've been waiting a long time for this. It's no masterpiece but . . . . Mitzi Gaynor, Thelma Ritter and Julie Newmar in one movie!

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Along with 6 titles mentioned above, another title available for pre-order is a TV movie Bates Motel (1987)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
gcardu10 said:
Response from Amazon:Hello,I understand your concern with regards to the Amazon's direct deal with Universal Vault Series.Its actually like this. The item is not directly shipped from Amazon's facilities. The customer has to order first, then the DVD is going to be manufactured, then shipped to the customer. And the manufacturing of the Universal Vault Series is handled by our affiliate CreateSpace.CreateSpace, a member of the Amazon.com group of companies, provides on-demand publishing of books, DVDs, and CDs. CreateSpace allows authors and artists to sell their works as books, CDs, or DVDs without having to pay for inventory.The print-on-demand service produces units as customers order, so there is no inventory needed. Content providers can use CreateSpace as a one-stop solution to distribute their work through Amazon.com.You can find out more here:http://www.createspace.comI have also passed your feedback along to customer service at CreateSpace as well as our Instant Video team here at Amazon.com--I'm sure they will appreciate your comments about your experience.We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Unfortunately, that is a non-answer to your question about why many titles are now unavailable.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Thing that couldn't die, For Love or money ,Flesh and Fantasy and You never can tell are listed as in stock and ready to ship at Amazon .

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I got a similar non-answer a few weeks ago to something else, and when the "Did I answer your question?" email came, I sent it back with a resounding NO, and illustrated how they didn't read it carefully, or at all. The next reply came from a supervisor, with apologies for the lack of help from "the original representative", and it was clear from the response that this person did indeed comprehend it, and knew the answer.

This runaround is very very typical now, and either it matters to you enough to pursue something, or it doesn't. We pays our money and takes our choice.

gcardu10

Agent
Real Name
Greg C.
Charles Smith said:
I got a similar non-answer a few weeks ago to something else, and when the "Did I answer your question?" email came, I sent it back with a resounding NO, and illustrated how they didn't read it carefully, or at all. The next reply came from a supervisor, with apologies for the lack of help from "the original representative", and it was clear from the response that this person did indeed comprehend it, and knew the answer. This runaround is very very typical now, and either it matters to you enough to pursue something, or it doesn't. We pays our money and takes our choice.
I'm not confident I will get a real answer on this, but will respond back NO and see what happens.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Some of the OOP titles are now popping up at other stores with October 15 release date. Looks like they won't be Amazon exclusives anymore, but some of them re-appeared on Amazon.

Bluebeard's Eighth Wife
The Cat and the Canary
Dragnet
The House of the Seven Gables
The List of Adrian Messenger
The Other Side of the Mountain
Pete 'n' Tillie
Resurrection
The Seven-Per-Cent Solution
Sometimes a Great Notion
Stick
Tarantula
Welcome Stranger

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
mdnitoil said:
Yeah, I'm seeing that on ImportCDs and Oldies.com to name two sites.

They are also showing up at screenarchives.com (the site which sells Twilight Time Blu-rays and DVDs).

It would have been nice if Universal had given a heads-up on what was happening. I feel sorry for people who panicked and paid exorbitant prices to third-pary sellers on Amazon. One Amazon seller is asking $118 for McHales Navy (the feature film).

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
GregoryMesh said:
Some of the OOP titles are now popping up at other stores with October 15 release date. Looks like they won't be Amazon exclusives anymore, but some of them re-appeared on Amazon.

Bluebeard's Eighth Wife
The Cat and the Canary
Dragnet
The House of the Seven Gables
The List of Adrian Messenger
The Other Side of the Mountain
Pete 'n' Tillie
Resurrection
The Seven-Per-Cent Solution
Sometimes a Great Notion
Stick
Tarantula
Welcome Stranger
I had an email today from Screen Archives Entertainment (aka Twilight Time), announcing that Adrian Messenger and Seven Gables were "new" titles they were carrying. So, I guess now we know what happened. Anyone want to buy these titles from 3rd party sellers and pay over $100, this may be your last chance!

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I see that KITTEN WITH A WHIP and THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH are being sold for big bucks by the 3rd party marketers.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Jobla said:
I see that KITTEN WITH A WHIP and THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH are being sold for big bucks by the 3rd party marketers.
And there is a region-free import Blu-ray of THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH available for $30 or so.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
borisfw said:
Thing that couldn't die, For Love or money ,Flesh and Fantasy and You never can tell are listed as in stock and ready to ship at Amazon .
I hope the print (TTTCD) is in better shape than what showed up as a premiere on TCM about a month or two back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks