What's new

Universal Vault Series - Amazon.com exclusive DVD-Rs (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Mike*HTF said:
^^ Is this a Spanish release of Variety Girl?I've noticed that there is one but wondered what the quality was like.
My copy is the UK region 2.
I would imagine that the Spanish disc would be from the same source.

variety girl2.jpg

Sharpness is OK and the grey scale is good. (see my previous posting)
It is not progressive and it suffers PAL speed-up. Otherwise it's quite acceptable.
It will be interesting to see if the US DVD restores the Technicolor sequence.

Doug.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
GregoryMesh said:
Universal Vault Series added a large number of films on DVD-r at Amazon this Friday:

NEW to region 1 -
Angel (1937) (available in region 2)
Choirboys, The (1977)
For the Defense (1930)
If I Were King (1938)
Lady Godiva of Coventry (1955) (available in region 2)
Mad about Mambo (2000) - was announced, but never released
Mississippi Gambler, The (1953)
Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch (1934)
No Room for the Groom (1952) (available in region 2)
Variety Girl (1947)
Thanks fo posting this. If I Were King, Mississippi Gambler, Mrs. Wiggs, and Variety Girl have long been on my Universal want list. With Mrs. Wiggs, Universal has now released all in Region 1 all of its Fields films except If I Had a Million and For the Boys.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Bull said:

attachicon.gif
variety girl2.jpg

It is not progressive and it suffers PAL speed-up. Otherwise it's quite acceptable.

Doug.
Thanks for that, Doug. Somehow I was completely unaware there even was a UK release.
Usually I'm not a bit stickler over PAL speedup but for musicals like this, it could be an issue.

FYI, for those who are on the fence about ordering, today Amazon cut the prices for this latest wave by a few dollars in some cases.
If I Were King is now 15.98 most of the others 17.98.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Universal Vault has also added William Castle's I SAW WHAT YOU DID, which I have been anxious to see re-released after a crumby Anchor Bay DVD of over a decade ago.

Is Universal now routinely releasing the widescreen Vault titles as 16x9, or still just letterboxing them?

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I wouldnt mind a Universal Vault of the Cheat as that was the only film I liked in their Pre-code set

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, I have just ordered I SAW WHAT YOU DID and will let everyone know whether or not it is anamorphic.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The Choirboys, Mrs. Wiggs and Variety Girl are delivered but I'm out of town until Sunday. Damn. But since the Universal MOD program is continuing, let's see some Olsen & Johnson titles, the Henry Aldrich series (it was stated that they are being worked on) some Paramount Mystery/Horror and more Alan Ladd from Universal.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Doug Bull said:

attachicon.gif
variety girl2.jpg

Doug.
I may throw away the Universal MOD case and keep the Region 2 UK case for the MOD disc.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Throw in The Ritz Brothers and you've got a sale.
ahollis said:
But since the Universal MOD program is continuing, let's see some Olsen & Johnson titles, the Henry Aldrich series (it was stated that they are being worked on) some Paramount Mystery/Horror and more Alan Ladd from Universal.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Bad news. I got my order of some of the new titles. Both I saw What you Did and Lady Godiva of Coventry are full frame. This stinks. While I can somewhat understand Lady Godiva as all import releases are full frame (while still no excuse mind you) but I Saw What You Did is inexcusable. The previous dvd was in widescreen albeit non-anamorphic widescreen.Somehow that 15 year old disc is better than this. A film in the 1960's is most definately widescreen and with the previous widescreen master, I have no idea why they would release this one full frame. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
I'm not the best judge of that but both do seem to have a decent amount of headroom so my guess would be open matte. So I guess you more than likely aren't losing anything, but the compositions still look off.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
ahollis said:
... let's see some Olsen & Johnson titles, the Henry Aldrich series (it was stated that they are being worked on) some Paramount Mystery/Horror
From your lips to God's ears... but, given Universal Home Video's track record of late, I'm not holding my breath...

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
A real bummer about I Saw What You Did. The Italian import seems to be non anamorphic 1.85 judging from the back cover though the Amazon.it site lists it as 16x9. Does anyone know if the French edition is anamorphic and are the French subtitles removable?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Doug Bull said:
Don't forget to check the Technicolor sequence Allen.If it's there it's a sale, if not I'll probably keep the region 2 disc.Doug.
Looked at VARIETY GIRL tonight. Bad news on the color segment, it's not there. However, the picture is sharp and clean with good blacks. The sound is also crisp. The picture had some weave in it the first two or so minutes. MISSISSIPPI GAMBLER is a great looking transfer. The technicolor looks sharp and clean. Sound is also clear and crisp. Glad to have this in my possession finally. THE CHOIRBOYS looks exactly how a 1977 film should look. The transfer is is again clean and sharp and there are no disappointments. I was worried about the outcome of this transfer since the film just does not receive any love from Universal. MRS. WIGGS OF THE CABBAGE PATCH is really a bad transfer. There are scratches and dirt throughout the viewing. The sound is also harsh. I was disappointed but this is a very old film and very enjoyable. This is my first viewing of this W. C. Fields film.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
ahollis said:
Looked at VARIETY GIRL tonight. Bad news on the color segment, it's not there. However, the picture is sharp and clean with good blacks.MRS. WIGGS OF THE CABBAGE PATCH is really a bad transfer. There are scratches and dirt throughout the viewing. The sound is also harsh. I was disappointed but this is a very old film and very enjoyable. This is my first viewing of this W. C. Fields film.
Thanks for that Allen.
I'll probably keep the UK version of Variety Girl and persevere with the PAL speed-up.

It's a shame about the poor condition of "Mrs.Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch"
I have a feeling it may have originally been listed as being on that fabulous 17 movie British box set "W.C. Fields - The Movie Collection" but was removed at the last minute.
It would now seem most likely it was rejected for the poor condition that you have described.
wcfields.jpg

Doug.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks