What's new

Universal Vault Series - Amazon.com exclusive DVD-Rs (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Just received my Flesh And Fantasy in today's mail. Checked it out and it's a very nice transfer.

Real Name
Joe
gcardu10 said:
I'm not confident I will get a real answer on this, but will respond back NO and see what happens.
The trick with Amazon is to get past that first layer of contacts. Often they are nothing more than script readers and a good portion of the time no matter how much you explain what the problem is, they manage to get it wrong. And this matters not if you contact by email, by on line conversation or by phone. They can handle simple things (package not delivered, not sent, lost etc) but beyond that they seem clueless.I've had a couple of issues with them, but usually get the problem fixed...eventually.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Universal Vault Series added a large number of films on DVD-r at Amazon this Friday:

NEW to region 1 -
Angel (1937) (available in region 2)
Choirboys, The (1977)
For the Defense (1930)
If I Were King (1938)
Lady Godiva of Coventry (1955) (available in region 2)
Mad about Mambo (2000) - was announced, but never released
Mississippi Gambler, The (1953)
Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch (1934)
No Room for the Groom (1952) (available in region 2)
Variety Girl (1947)

Big Brown Eyes (1936) - available in Cary Grant: Screen Legend Collection
Good Fairy, The (1935) - available previously from Kino
I Saw What You Did (1965) - available previously from Anchor Bay
Kiss and Make Up (1934) - available in Cary Grant: Screen Legend Collection
Love Before Breakfast (1936) - available in Carole Lombard: The Glamour Collection
Love Me Tonight (1932) - available previously from Kino
Thirty Day Princess (1934) - available in Cary Grant: Screen Legend Collection
True Confession (1937) - available in Carole Lombard: The Glamour Collection
Wedding Present (1936) - available in Cary Grant: Screen Legend Collection
Wings in the Dark (1935) - available in Cary Grant: Screen Legend Collection

RLane777

Agent
Real Name
Rick
Nice list, but Amazon needs more price drops of the Vaults. I wouldn't mind getting Tyrone Power is The Mississippi Gambler and also No Room for the Groom.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
B00KIZYANK is its ASIN. Try searching for it. I don't know how to make link HTF-friendly, so if someone can edit my post.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just got and watched the W.C. Fields movie "Tillie and Gus" -- quality was reasonable, movie was very enjoyable.

I was going to get the DVD-R versions of some other W.C. Fields lesser known movies, "Mississippi" and "Million Dollar Legs" -- but it turned out there were pressed versions available as part of multidisk sets, and I was able to get the sets that had each of those for less than what the DVD-R cost. I imagine it's the same transfer either way.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
They've hid it rather well. I put in Cabbage Patch and finally found it.

www.amazon.com/Mrs-Wiggs-Cabbage-Patch-Fields/dp/B00KIZYANK

Thanks also for the heads up on If I Were King--one of my most wanted titles.
Too bad it's DVD-R

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Wow, some pretty good ones this time.

The price isn't too bad considering how rarely the Universal MOD line sputters back to life.

Especially I Saw What You Did...the Anchor Bay DVD often goes for double that price.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I ordered If I Were King as soon as I saw it listed in Gregory's post.If it were another title I might have waited for a better price elsewhere online, but this is a fair price and I'm glad to get rid of my TV copy

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Might go for The Choirboys but that's about it. Already have everything else I already would want from either earlier pressed releases of outside the U.S.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'll probably pick up I Saw What You Did. I have the Anchor Bay but it's not anamorphic. I have Lady Godiva Of Coventry from Brazil and Mississippi Gambler from Spain and No Room For The Groom from France so I'm content with those.

The French DVD of No Room For The Groom has a bonus of interviews with its stars, Tony Curtis and Piper Laurie, who talk about working for Douglas Sirk (the director of NRFTG) and it's clear no love was lost between them (each other, not Sirk).

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
ANGEL is directed by Lubitsch and stars Dietrich. I'm surprised there is no enthusiasm about this title in this thread.
IF I WERE KING is a lot of fun. Haven't seen it in a very long time.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I might pick up I SAW WHAT YOU DID, assuming it's anamorphic. I'd have preferred THE NIGHT WALKER (never on DVD) or even LET'S KILL UNCLE (never on VHS or DVD).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
My order today was: Mrs. WiggsThe ChoirboysMississippi GamblerVariety Girl - I have a region 2 but hope this will be a better transfer. Very happy with The Choirboys.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
^^ Is this a Spanish release of Variety Girl?I've noticed that there is one but wondered what the quality was like.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
ahollis said:
Variety Girl - I have a region 2 but hope this will be a better transfer.
Agreed Allen, just for starters, it won't have that dreaded PAL speed-up.
Also I hope it's progressive scan and that the Puppet-toon sequence this time is in Technicolor.

While it is not a great movie, it's still a very enjoyable one.
That last number "Harmony" is a knockout.
You have to love Coops, pistol in holster, sitting on a plaster merry-go-round horse and joining in the song.
Fabulous entertainment.

variety girl.jpg

scan from the region 2 disc

Doug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks