What's new

Universal and TCM's Partnership For Made-To-Order DVD (1 Viewer)

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by KellyVO

One minor note, Amazon has this marked as a DVD-R manufactured on demand and I thought the TCM exclusive version was an actual pressed disc. I never ordered it, so I could certainly be wrong.

* Edit * Just read a comment thread on Amazon and it would appear that the Amazon version is a burnt disc...also minus the few bonus features that are on the TCM pressed version. I guess that explains the 5 dollar difference in price.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Is this program going to take over the Amazon MOD? I thought both were supposed to be out concurrently? I was under the impression that the TCM collection was to have more mainstream classics with better known movies and actors while the Amazon UNIVERSAL VAULT SERIES would release the newer and lesser known vault movies. I was really pleased with the Amazon ones and was hoping that they would release a lot more, or maybe re-release some of the fullframe only dvd's that are out there. I've purchased a lot of the fullframe ones in Pal format for the widescreen, but the Pal speedup really bothers me. I seem to notice it more than anyone in my household.

I can't imagine the TCM Universal Vault series would release any late 80's Vault movies or tv movies. If Universal has infact cancelled the other program I am very dissapointed.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Well it might take it over, but we'll never know; Amazon's Universal MOD seems to have ceased operation as mysteriously as it appeared. No press releases, no marketing push, all of it uncovered by folks digging around online on their own. We'll have to see what direction the TCM initiative takes.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill

Well it might take it over, but we'll never know; Amazon's Universal MOD seems to have ceased operation as mysteriously as it appeared. No press releases, no marketing push, all of it uncovered by folks digging around online on their own. We'll have to see what direction the TCM initiative takes.

Bob - I totally agree with you. I actually think that Universal was testing the waters with both programs and the TCM was the more successful of the group. But that could be due to the marketing TCM pushed while the Amazon program had none.

I did purchase about a dozen titles and were happy with each, except The Chalk Garden, which was not anamorphic.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Just received the latest Marjorie Main double feature in the mail today. Pressed discs, of course, however the movies are presented on two separate single layer discs, unlike the Ma and Pa set wich was a single dual layer disc. Presumably, offering them this way makes it easier to slide right into burnt discs once stock runs out.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I guess it's cheaper to do a second pressing with DVD-rs than it is to do another limited run of pressed discs?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
TCM has two more entries into their Universal Vault Collection up for Pre-order.

A double-feature Pre-Code set that includes THE SONG OF SONGS (1933)/THIS IS THE NIGHT (1932). To be released May 2.

Audie Murphy Western Collection - 4 films. It includes SIERRA, RIDE CLEAR OF DIABLO, DRUMS ACROSS THE RIVER and RIDE A CROOKED TRAIL. Scheduled for release June 6.

Glad to see they are continuing this series.

Dirk06

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
So, after having read the entire thread to make sure that I didn't miss something, I have a dumb question: has it been determined which sets are pressed and which are burned? Is it a situation in which the first run of sets are pressed and then all runs afterward are burned? Or is it a surprise when they're first released?

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Well it's nice to see that they're coming out with more titles... they'd seemed relatively dormant. The best issuances from this partnership were the two classic horror collections, issued over the last couple of Halloween seasons. I wish they'd step up their game to the frequency of the Warner Archive... There are so many hidden Universal treasures that of course you don't get to see on TCM. Whither GIRL IN THE KREMLIN ('57)?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by ahollis

TCM has two more entries into their Universal Vault Collection up for Pre-order.

A double-feature Pre-Code set that includes THE SONG OF SONGS (1933)/THIS IS THE NIGHT (1932). To be released May 2.

Audie Murphy Western Collection - 4 films. It includes SIERRA, RIDE CLEAR OF DIABLO, DRUMS ACROSS THE RIVER and RIDE A CROOKED TRAIL. Scheduled for release June 6.

Glad to see they are continuing this series.

These seem like relatively obscure films. Hopefully, Universal/TCM will get around to releasing more horror (especially from the Paramount library), and the unreleased W.C. Fields films.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I'm not sure if i would consider Audie Murphy films obscure ? But i would like to see more releases from this line . Alan Ladd would be good . They have many of his 40s Paramount films still not out . Same with Ray Milland .

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes

These seem like relatively obscure films. Hopefully, Universal/TCM will get around to releasing more horror (especially from the Paramount library), and the unreleased W.C. Fields films.

I have been hoping for the unrleased Fields films and also the rest of the Frances movies. But Audie is certainly welcomed.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Dirk06

So, after having read the entire thread to make sure that I didn't miss something, I have a dumb question: has it been determined which sets are pressed and which are burned? Is it a situation in which the first run of sets are pressed and then all runs afterward are burned? Or is it a surprise when they're first released

First batch is pressed, especially if they are also going to be released as singles. It is a run of 1000 to 2000 units over pre-orders. When those collections are gone or if they are ordered individually, then they are burned. You need to pre-order to insure that you get the pressed discs and purchase as a set not individual titles.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I was getting a little worred about the program; nice to see new releases!

I'm excited by the two pre-codes. Hopefully more will come up, including some even rarer ones.

I also hope we see an Alan Ladd or a Ray Milland multi-film set sometime this year.

Or how about a double feature of Fritz Lang's Paramount films, You and Me (1938) and Ministry of Fear (1944)?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I wish they would release the films they made from two once very popular comedy teams but now obscure. They own 3 Olsen and Johnson movies and 4 Ritz Brothers movies.

Dirk06

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
Originally Posted by ahollis

First batch is pressed, especially if they are also going to be released as singles. It is a run of 1000 to 2000 units over pre-orders. When those collections are gone or if they are ordered individually, then they are burned. You need to pre-order to insure that you get the pressed discs and purchase as a set not individual titles.

Thanks for the response! From everything I'd read, that was the situation I was guessing, but I really wanted to have confirmation before I pre-ordered the pre-code set.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
If they do a Ray Milland set, I would be ecstatic if they would include "The Uninvited" (1944). It's been playing like crazy on TCM lately, but the source is probably the old VHS master. Could we have a lovely newly remastered DVD? Seems a natural for a stand alone TCM release also, like "Remember the Night" was.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Tobruk is a great Arthur Hiller film...terrific score from Bronislaw Kaper, and a standout performance by Nigel Green...it would be beautiful if it was remastered and in the OAR...wasn't the old VHS release a good seller for MCA home video?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks