What's new

Underworld DVD (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Matt Bloxham

Agent
Ron, glad you enjoyed the movie! One of my favorites from last year.

It's a good horror/action movie with a ton of style and then there's Kate in her black costume for 2 hours:b

The DVD: The picture quality is terrific, very sharp with great shadow detail. The sound is awesome:emoji_thumbsup: one of the best Dolby Digital tracks I have heard. The surrounds always seemed engaged with some kind of activity, but the dialouge is always very clear. You better have a good sub, cause you'll need it with this one. I also had to turn it down from reference to -05.

Great Stuff:D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Glad you enjoyed it Ron. After steering me right with some good recommendations in the past, I was afraid we were going to steer you wrong with this one.

I've heard some others also complain about the villain. For me, I don't care one way or the other about his performance (which probably means he didn't do a very good job). I just liked the mythos it created and Kate. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know, the more I sit here, the more this film
grows on me.

It really was a excellent popcorn flick. I hate
to even call it popcorn, because it was just so
damn cool in so many ways.

I particularly like what they did with Viktor....

from his awakening, to his constant blood infusions
to his fleshing out.

I'm almost inclined to say I liked this film as
much or better than Blade. Then again, it
has been a long time since I saw that film.

Really, guys, have a look at this one!

chris*b

Stunt Coordinator
Now that is a bold statement! I liked this movie quite a bit, but Blade it is not. It is better than Blade II though.

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
I found this quite humorous.

" In the Underworld, Vampires are a secret clan of modern Aristocratic sophisticates whose mortal enemies are the lycans, a shrewd gang of street thugs who prowl the city's underbelly. No one knows the origin of their bitter blood feud, but the balance of power between them turns even bloodier when a beautiful young Vampire warrior and a newly turned Lycan with a mysterious past fall in love. Kate Beckinsale and Scott Speedman star in this modern-day action -packed tale of ruthless intrigue and forbidden passion- all set against the dazzling backdrop of a timeless, gothic metropolis.

That is quite a description. Does anyone else think this is overkill.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I suppose it would have been smarter for marketing just to put this on the back:

"A vampire woman meets a werewolf man . . . hilarity ensues."

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Blade is definetly the better film.

This one looks great and sounds great. It is a demo disc alright but the movie just seems to go on and on to the point who cares which side wins...it won't be our side (the humans).

One big weakness for this movie is the casting of Scott Speedman. At the end he turns into the Incredible Hulk for heavens sake. Anybody named Scott Speedman shouldn't be in a cool vampire flick.

Poor Kate carries the movie on her gorgeous black leather back. There should have been more shots of her backside (it looks great in leather or whatever she had on).

Again, this movie is worth a rental and a buy if your in need of demo material. My Velodyne sub liked it!
Because I watched this movie late at night with kids sleeping I didn't get a chance to really up the volume (and turn on my SVS sub) so I'll check it out futher tommorrow.

Movie gets :star: :star:
DVD gets :star: :star: :star: :star:

Chris

Senior HTF Member
While Blade is a better film (IMHO) there are moments and settings with this movie that I really liked, and I thought the flashback sequences explaining the war were so off-kilter and placed throughout the film that it really came as an "ah-ha!" kind of moment.

I had no idea about this film before I watched it tonight, (started at midnight, always the right way with this kind of film ;) But I found myself drawn in after the first 30/40 minutes and held on for the rollercoaster. The effects were good, but I liked the general take and thought the politics were well played.

I saw someone mention starcrossed lovers; I'm not sure if I ever took that plot to be that at all; more a matter of pet-type interest; for whatever reason she became interested in the questions surrounding him, and realized in the end it was the only set of answers that made sense.. good setup for a sequel, though I doubt (based on box office) there will be one; but I liked a good deal about it; even secondary characters were weasely and interesting.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know what? I am going to take back those
comments concerning Underworld to Blade
and offer an apology.

For the fun of it, I stayed up a little later than
usual last night and watched Blade. Definately
the better movie!

Still, this takes nothing away from Underworld
which I still feel is one of the big surprises of the
year. Most people will easily shrug this one off
without ever giving the effort of a watch.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
You know, this movie is on the last day of its rental time and I haven't watched it yet (lots of snow fun here) but now I have to spin it tonight rather than just return it unwatched, like I recently did with The Order. The original ads really turned me off with all the MATRIX-style slow motion and stuff, but if Ron appears to give this one this much posting space, I have to check it out!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The star-crossed lovers angle comes from the marketing of the film. The actual "relationship" that develops in the film is merely a shadow of what was marketed.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Kind of off topic. But, I was at Circuit City last night and they had a display for Underworld. Half was filled with Widescreen and the other half was Pan & Scam. Their was only 2-3 copies of the WS left. While the P&S looked like they only sold 2-4 copies. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks