What's new

Underworld DVD (merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator

From what I heard there is a sequel and a prequel in the works. No info what-so-ever on the sequel, but from what I have read (mostly stuff off of Darkhorizons.com) is the prequel will be set in medieval times and encompass a huge war between the Vamps and The Lycans. Think braveheart with the supernatural. Think this time period was kind of alluded to in the movie when Kate is looking into their history. There were a few pics of a huge war with armour clad Vamps.

Fingers crossed that it sees the light of day as this was a truely awsome movie and far exceeded my expectations.

Jerry Thomas

Stunt Coordinator
"but a year from now everyone will be asking why do I have this terrible movie in my colelction?"

Right now I'm wondering why more people don't use "spell check". ;) :)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Bah, just rented Underworld. What a waste of $5. Probably one of the most boring movies I've seen in a while. That could partially be due to the fact that the trailers/DVD commercials showed all the "cool" parts.

Kate Beckinsale is f'ing HOT though!! :D

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yeah,those were some cool pictures she was looking at. That would be great to see a movie like that.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Rented it. Thought it was great.

Was anyone else bothered by the fact that Kate's character seemed to have an infinite supply of bullets in her pistols?

Those of you who hated the movie, can you elaborate? Anyone can say things like "Persons A & B cannot act", but exactly what was it that you didn't like about film? I was really intrigued by the story, I really liked the action, special effects, soundtrack, and cinematography, and enjoyed the characters. What am I missing?

I didn't like that the pistols seemed to contain 300 rounds each.

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
I liked the movie...it was entertainment. I also was bothered by the massive amount of rounds in those pistols. That was about the only thing that bothered me about the movie. (Other than the fact I didn't get to see the leading lady "naked"...but she does look good in leather.)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Myself, I kinda like the old school werewolf transformations like in THE HOWLING. CGI tranformations don't look as "organic" to me.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
What I liked:

-Production design
-Beckinsale and her costume
-Good action using minimal CGI
-Great video transfer
-Great 5.1

What I didn't like:

-Shane Brolly as Kraven - only seemed to have two settings to his performance
-Hybrid creature a let down - couldn't they have done something with the hair?

I will probably own this in the future, but only when it shows up on the Blockbuster pre-viewed shelf with a sale (meaning I won't pay more than $10 for it). I put this in the same ranks as Resident Evil (which I bought used and on sale).

Interesting fact: Lucian was played by Beckinsale's ex-boyfriend (and father of her child) of 10 years. Apparently Beckinsale and Wiseman were not a couple during the filming.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

Thanks Ron. This was going to be a blind buy for me until you told me that. Way to go.

Actually I'm headed out to buy it right now, but the prospect of no Kate nudity does put a damper on the whole experience :)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

I thought the effects in Underworld were a bit of a throwback. Watch the special features. It's amazing how many practical effects were used. They used CGI more as an aid. I loved the look.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
What goes into "can't act" (for me anyway): No apparent effort to create a 3D character, wooden line delivery, lack of seemingly sincere emotion, and generally not producing a believable character. Beckinsale seemed to me to just be going through the motions. She gave no indications of being a centuries-old vampire, that's for sure (something that even the minor walk-on vampire characters in Buffy managed on a regular basis). She was just a model running around in black leather shooting guns (poorly, I might add--you'd think having shot a gun for years she might actually hit something once in a while, though she got better aim later on).

For instance, she did nothing whatsoever to make me think that she was interested in Speedman's character, or to give me a reason to believe he would be interested in her. You could see that's where the script inevitably had to go (helped along by the spoilerish liner notes), but she didn't do anything to move that forward. There was no seductiveness, nothing. They just locked lips out of nowhere for the perfunctory romance shot. That's the sort of thing that can be set up by a good actor/actress even if the dialogue doesn't give them any help at all--look at Kim Novak in Vertigo if you need to see what I mean. She had the same problem being credible in romantic scenes in Pearl Harbor, so I think it's her.

Another example: When she was seen locked in the room, she had the definite look of, okay, the cameras just started rolling; she didn't convey that she'd been there for even five minutes before the shot began, but we're clearly meant to understand that she'd been holed up there for a while, given the rate of awakening by Viktor over the same period. But she just has this deer in the headlights look until the blonde kills the juice.

And yeah, the number of bullets she fired was ridiculous too. :)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Cameron I agree the look of the hybrid wasn't that good. During the transformation it was excellent!!!! but then when he finally stood up, it was just a Lou Ferigno kind of monster. He wasn't quite an X-Men. However at least he moved at mutant speeds.

Watched it a second time last night.

Love the way the vamps land when they jump.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
I couldn't wait for this movie to be released; there was a long discussion in anticipation of it in the Movies forum - Link . I really enjoyed this movie in the theater and am glad to see that most people are enjoying the DVD. I just bought it two days ago and plan to watch it tonight. Glad to here the sound kicks ass. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Just saw this movie! Not as bad as I thought. Good action, CGI wasn't so bad, acting was tolerable.

But what I loved was the sound! WOW! Talk about Awesome!

On my Denon, I couldn't go past 25. This was a very loud DVD, probably the loudest I've heard.

But the surrounds were awesome, the bass was extremely low.

I like it:emoji_thumbsup:

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
I didn't like this film at all. I didn't know whom to pull for, which can be a VERY good thing, but in this case I really didn't care about any of the characters. The way the vampires land kneeling has been cliched for quite a while. I really did want to like it though, as from the previews it had that Blade/Resident Evil feel (both of which I enjoyed)...

Jerry Thomas

Stunt Coordinator
Saw this a second time this evening, and enjoyed it even more. What a surprise this movie turned out to be. Wonderfully stylized, great action, and a good story to boot. Kate simply ruled the screen, and the rest of the cast held their own to pull this film together. I have read that a sequel is in the works, and even if it is only half as good as the first, it'll be a sure hit.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
A blind buy for me - and a good one at that.

I saw trailers for this in theaters earlier in 2003 and wanted to see this on the big screen. Unfortunately, as things turned busy for me in the fall, I couldn't seem to find the time.

I was eager to see how well the lovely Kate Beckinsale would pull off this kind of role - and now that I've seen it, I thought she did a great job.

Great imagery and wonderful sound track on this one.

Harry

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
I also agree, blind buy that turned out for the best. I thouroughly enjoyed this one. I felt the acting was on par with most action movies, the CGI was used sparingly (thanks god, I prefer standard effects)and the story was very interesting. I watched it again this morning and enjoyed it moreso the second time around... one note though... the first time I watched it I felt that the first 10-15 minutes were a little boring, but the second time around it made much more sense and was pretty cool.

Oh, and for those with weak subs... watch out! I have never heard my little PSW303 do what it did during this one!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks