What's new

TV Tuner + Graphics cards: Combined vs. Separate (1 Viewer)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I am going to be building a new PC. I need some advice about TV Tuner/Capture cards. Should I get a Graphics/Tuner combo (e.g., one of the ATI All-in-Wonder cards) or should I get separate graphics and tuner cards.

For the moment, I don't need HDTV support, but may get an HDTV card in the future (before the FCC Broadcast Flag goes into effect). Are there any compatibility issues I'll need to worry about when it's time to upgrade to an HDTV card?

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
I'd personally go separate, but they're both great ways to go these days, and you'll get supporters either way.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
I prefer separates, because I like the TV tuner cards. The quality is better (slightly) with the philips 9-bit or cognexant 10-bit chips. It's a small difference, but every little bit counts, especially if your display is high quality.

It also gives you a wider range of graphics cards to choose from, and often at better costs.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Separate cards definitely support more options. If you want the best quality the Hauppauge PVRs are always getting rave reviews, from people who've had many cards even.

A separate HD-tuner card shouldn't have any compatibility issues with an AIW.

DaveNel

Second Unit
I would also go separate, The graphics would be the same either way. But if the Tuner ever goes out chances are the video card also will then you will be replacing 2 components .

Ashley-_-C

Auditioning
I did a whole bunch of reseach and you can strech you $$$ further buying getting each of them seperately

Im refering to high ends like the 9800PRO AIW

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.