What's new

Turtles 2003 Series: DVD Release Date (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Apparently, word from high atop the mountain that is known as Mirage Studios, has been told that the latest release date is September 2nd for the new show. They where just in there filming Peter Laird for DVD Extras..

Now lets hope Funimation dosn't stick us with a bad sh!t job like they did with DBZ. No extras, only 3 episodes per disc, and for the most part 'box sets' with no special packaging or extra eps crammed onto a disc.

TMNT fans don't needto put up with that :).

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Now lets hope Funimation dosn't stick us with a bad sh!t job like they did with DBZ. No extras, only 3 episodes per disc, and for the most part 'box sets' with no special packaging or extra eps crammed onto a disc.
That's anime for ya. ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
For most anime, there is simply nothing available for traditional extras outside of character model sheets (if that). The DBZ sets in Japan have some extras, nothing big. It's the whole 300 or so episodes in 2 sets for about $1200, and no Funimation is not likely to pony up for them

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Let me get this straight!

They're releasing the 2003 version starting in September, yet the original (and IMO better) series is getting just about nothing except a butchered pilot episode (which isn't even a real pilot episode) sometime next year?

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
So no word whether this will be a full season box set? Funimation recently put out a Dragonball DVD that contained an entire sage, think maybe 17 episodes or so. It was two discs so maybe they're getting better.

And I totally agree, they could have handled Dragonball Z ALOT better.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Neil, I'm confused. You post the date here at HTF, but at your website (that IS yours, isn't it?...NinjaTurtlesNetwork.com?) it says:

Mirage Studios has an up to date release date for the new series, but I'm waiting to see if we can post it. Not sure if it's still 'secret' or it can be devulged. As soon as I know, you'll know.
Soooooo, what's the deal with that?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Heh, sorry about that. I just like to get permission from mirage first before I post info anywhere, just in case they'd like to break the info first hand.

But because Dan at Mirage didn't sound like the information was too overly newsworthy, I figured a post here first couldn't hurt :).

And so far, no information yet on Season sets. Although,, I've been TOLD that the only reason Funi did what they did with the Dragonball Series, is because of liscencing agreements with Toei and where rather limited. If that's true, and not just an excuse to stave off fan complaints, then they might do a better job here...

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I just got a newsletter from the main site, ninjaturtles.com and this little chunk of info was there:

4Kids Entertainment will begin releasing DVDs of Season One this September. The current ship date is set for September 2, but this is subject to change. 4Kids came to Mirage Studios and interviewed Peter Laird and some of the Mirage artists to include as bonus footage to the DVDs. I haven't been given any additional info about the format yet - but 4Kids has been releasing two episodes per DVD of other series, so it's possible that they'll follow this strategy with the TMNT (and it's possible that they won't :)
If the discs aren't at least 5 episodes or so, no sale, already have the series on tape right now anyway...but how can I resist the digital clearness?:D

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Wow, two freakin' episodes per disc? That's what we got in the days of VHS. In the days of DVD, it's intolerable.

Now I REALLY need to get a contact inside 4kdis to tell them that this is the DVD Erra. 5 episodes per disc maximum is what should be allowed as a standard for all 30 minute TV shows. I'm also hoping we can convince the Artisan rep that we have to NOT release the edited 5 part pilot of the original series...

Sigh.. in this day and age of DVD, WHY can't studios do things right/

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The local FOX affiliate in Seattle has been interrupting this show with baseball since "The King" episode, so I guess DVD is the only way I will get to see the rest of it.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I've been wondering. Does 4Kids sell the add space for the Fox Box, or the Fox Network? If the former is the case, maby complaining to 4Kids, they'll get upset enough to try and fix the situation? Either that, or syndicate it on CN..

Oh, and a DVD update, I've found an email for the Fox Box Announcer, who has also done some stuff on the DVD Release for TMNT 2003. He knows how many eps per disc, plus extra plans, and is checking with his superiors to find out if he can fill us in..

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Well, looks like 4Kids responded. Here's the response from the Home Video Department...

>I read through the messages on the link you provided. It seems that your source hasn't been doing their homework on how many episodes 4Kids puts on its DVDs and VHS. Look at Yugioh.

Not one Turtle VHS or DVD contains just 2 episodes.

Thank you for your interest.>>

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
In general, how many 20 +/- minute shows will fit on a DVD 9 anyway? The Transformers: Beast Wars discs hold 6-7 with 5.1 soundtracks.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Just a quick fill in note.....I'm not sure how to phrase this, but now I know why companys like to get things done officialy so as not to have conflicting reports :).

The 4Kids rep just let me know that not all the discs will have 4 episodes....just that they will not contain 2 episodes or less. Some discs will be split up depending on the show/episode story. So I'm ASSUMING(NOTE, MY ASSUMPTION, NOT FACT) that 3 parters will be on one disc, 2 parters will not be split up across discs, etc...

Hopefully 4Kids will release a press release soon to clear up any other remaining detials. But thanks to the rep for helping us out :).

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Finally concrete news on the release for September 2nd. 2 Volumes will get released that day, each with three episodes. Expect the volumes to look like this:

Volume 1:
EP1 - Things Change
EP2 - A Better Mousetrap
EP3 - Attack of the Mousers

Volume 2:
EP4 - Meet Casey Jones
EP5 - Nano
EP6 - Darkness on the Edge of Town

Funimation To Distribute TMNT Videos
DVDs Include Interview With Peter Laird

June 13, 2003

Funimation Productions, which handles the home video releases for 4Kids Entertainment's high-powered Yu-Gi-Oh! series, will also handle the sales and distribution of video products from the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle cartoon series now appearing on 4Kids' Fox Box on Saturday morning. The first two TMNT video releases from the new series will each contain three episodes and will be available on both DVD and VHS tape. The DVDs will have an srp of $16.95 and the VHS tape will list for $12.95 The DVDs will include an exclusive interview with TMNT co-creator Peter Laird. The first two volumes from the new TMNT series will be released on September 2nd.

While the new TMNT series easily topped the rest of the Fox Box entries in the most recent TV ratings, the series hasn't reached the heights that it attained in its first incarnation, when it was one of the top children's shows on TV and the number one kids animated home video in the early 90s. Still it hasn't been a failure either -- the series just bowed on Fox on February 8, so it really hasn't had a chance to turn the Fox Box around. The fact that Playmates Toys has sold through more than 1 million TMNT action figures so far this year demonstrates that there is still plenty of interest in the Turtles. The new TMNT animated series has been renewed for next season and Dreamwave Productions is planning a new TMNT color comic book series (see "Peter David To Write TMNT Comic For Dreamwave"), so with videos from Funimation, toys from Playmates, and comics from Dreamwave there should be a higher level of interest and sales by fall.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/2901.html

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Yep, pretty much everything we already knew thanks to Mirage and 4Kids, but now we have confirmation on episode #'s and cover art.

At least Funi didn't go with screenshots or that horrid DBGT cover art.. The folks at Dreamwave probably did the original cover art. That peice dosn't look familair.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
And here's the cover art for volume 2 that streets the same day. Sure looks a lot better then if they would have used some generic clip art or big head covers. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks