What's new

Troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

lbk

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 145. It has coaxial adn optical audio and component video. No HDMI. Anyway, It sounds alright with DVDs etc, but it sounds terrible with the cable TV. Most of the time, all you get is the middle channel. Rarely do you get full surround, even on High Def channels - and the volume is terrible. You really have to crank it way up. So - maybe the unit is junk, or perhaps its the cable company. Is it possible that they are just broadcasting a really lousy signal that doesn't support the 5.1 most of the time?

Thanks.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
How is Cable hooked up to the H/K? If it sounds good with dvd's it should sound good with Cable.

I think most H/K receivers need to be calibrated for each input and/or sound format like Dolby, DTS, Logic7. It's a lot more work but this allows the user to dial in each source component or surround format. More than likely you're getting a stereo signal from the Cable and the H/K is applying ProLogic/Neo:6/Logic7. Maybe you calibrated the dvd input or surround format but not the one used for the Cable?

I have two Dish Network satillite receivers and the volume is much lower thru one of them. Not sure why but it is.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
What is the make and model of your cable box? How is it connected to the H/K? (Digital Coax? Digital optical?) DVR or regular? Obviously you've subscribed to their HD service or you wouldn't be getting HD channels, but what audio you get can depend on how the audio output is set on the cable box. You will never get Dolby Digital 5.1 audio on the analog SD channels, because they are not delivered that way. And not all programming on the HD channels is 5.1, even though they do use digital audio. (Just as not all DVD soundtracks are 5.1, even though they are all Dolby Digital. DD is a digital format that can do anything from mono - DD 1.0 - through 7.1.)

I have two Dish Network satellite receivers and the volume is much lower thru one of them. Not sure why but it is.
Connected to other TVs, I assume. This could also be a difference in the audio setup, or the base output volume of one of them may just be lower than the other. Are they different makes and/or models?

Regards,

Joe

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Connected to other TVs, I assume. This could also be a difference in the audio setup, or the base output volume of one of them may just be lower than the other. Are they different makes and/or models?
One's an HD and the other an SD. Not sure who made them. Regardless of which room I have it in the volume on the receiver needs to be a little higher with the HD box then the SD one. Not sure why and it's not a big deal, just strange. Both are always hooked up with OPT.

I buy and sell quite a few things off craigslist, etc. (anyone need a pair of Infinity Beta 50's?) and am always moving things around to evaluate new components and most things are fairly standard as far as volume goes. Just that silly HD box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks