What's new

Trip to New York (1 Viewer)

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Walk on the right side of the sidewalk and DO NOT STOP SHORT!!!
Best advice I could give ya.

Just hop on the subway (ask the clerk in the booth for a map) and randomly jump off 2 or 3 stops later (as long as you remain in Manhattan south of 100th St.) There will be more things to do within 100ft of the subway exit than anyplace else in the world - reguardless of what stop you just got off.

EAT ON MULBERRY ST. - the heart of (and only street in)Little Italy.
Try seeing Grand Central Stations main concourse
Central Park West - the largest collection of old school money piled on top of one another in the world
Greenwich Village - how could you not
Times Square at night any other day but New Years
NEW YEARS - its expensive, I payed 150 each for me and my girl to enter a lounge at 215am. It was 250 each to start the night
Just stand off to the side, in midtown at lunchtime, and watch the masses scurry everywhere
Watch WOODY ALLEN movies to get ideas

DUDE ITS NY EVERYWHERE IS WONDERFUL - just be glad you dont have to live here

Weather - it could be 50's and sunny all week, or more likely it could be 20's and rain - pack everything

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
How much do yoiu want to bet that Zak will come back in Jan 2003 and utter the inevitable "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't live there..."? :D
100% of visitors I know have said so. :rolleyes
--
Holadem

JoshF

Supporting Actor
How much do yoiu want to bet that Zak will come back in Jan 2003 and utter the inevitable "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't live there..."?
100% of visitors I know have said so.
That's because the rest of us never left. :D

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Having walked around Manhattan for the last 25 years, I recommend you explore alot of downtown--south of Houston; very colorful, less corporate than midtown. Walk around the Battery; go by the South Street Seaport...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I don't get it. I just don't get it.

Every time people post here about taking a trip to Los Angeles and what sites they should see, the thread runs for about eight or nine responses and soon dies.

But post about a first-time trip to NYC, and just look at the responses you'll get.

It's not fair, I tell you.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Jack, what can I say other than, "WE LOVE OUR CITY!"

It's truly a pleasure to have visitors and show them around this amazing town. One of my deepest joys is seeing a good friend walk down Prince St. in SOHO on a crisp spring for the first time, or smiling like a cheshire cat while ice skating on a bright winter day at Rockefeller Plaza.

LA is nice - I grew up there - but there's no way in hell you'd get me to move back (unless, of course, you offered enough money to allow me to keep a place here as well).

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Personally I'm not a big fan of either NYC or LA, but if I had to choose between the two it would be NY in a (New York) heartbeat ;)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Also, a special mention to the Art museums. On my last trip I finally got to see the Gugenheim (sp?). All 3, the Metropolitan and the Museum of Modern Art are all fantastic.
Those are excellent suggestions, but a word of warning: The Museum of Modern Art is closed for major renovations, and the permanent collection has been relocated to Brooklyn. In its place, try the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum (a branch of the Smithsonian).

M.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Even though it should be obvious - I'm not sure I saw it in the above posts - but be sure to go to Rockefeller Center and go ice skating and see the Christmas Tree. You can warm up afterwards by taking in the Christmas Show at Radio City Music Hall.
I heartily second the recommendation of Mulberry Street and Little Italy. My favorite place there is called "La Mela" - it looks like the worst tourist trap in the world, but the food is incredible. Don't forget to tip the guy who sings like Nat King Cole and buy your girl a rose from the vendor who comes in...
Jack, I think that's because there are only 8 or 9 things to do in LA, right? ;) I was only there once for a couple of days on business, so I didn't have time to do any sightseeing.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
... or smiling like a cheshire cat while ice skating on a bright winter day at Rockefeller Plaza.
That's after frowning at shelling out the bucks for a chance to skate on that postage stamp sized sheet of ice. Come and skate in downtown Chicago on a full-sized rink for free. :D

LewB

Screenwriter
If you are a 'nature lover' you could get VERY adventurous and take the subway up to the Bronx and see the Bronx Zoo and the New York Botanical Gardens. A perfect day out of Manhattan on one of those 50 degree Fahrenheit days you might have while you are here. The Bronx Zoo is supposed to be one of the finest zoos in the world. Have fun while you are here :D

Zak Solo

Agent
Hey guys!

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with all the posts - time difference means I am leaving work when you guys start lunch.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really do appreciate it. It is difficult when you don't know a place to avoid getting caught up in all 'guide book' stuff. Obviously I will do the Empire State Building other main attractions - just wanted to avoid the usual run of the mill stuff.

I wouldn't mind that list of 20 or so hotels Stephen. Really into my food. I like all sorts of things - not particularly bothered price wise happy to pay for good food - nothing pretentious.

Pack everything? I was planning on buying quite a bit out there. Abercrombie & Fitch, Banana Republic etc.

Cheers though for all the suggestions.

Zak

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
If you are a 'nature lover' you could get VERY adventurous and take the subway up to the Bronx
Hey! What's that supposed to mean??!! I lived in the Bronx, right next the zoo as a matter of fact, and took the subway everyday to school in Manhattan.

--
Holadem

LewB

Screenwriter

Relax Holadem, I'm originally from 183rd and Universtiy Ave.
I meant adventurous for a tourist. After all, the NYC subway system can be a bit overwhelming, especially if you've never been to NYC, let alone the U.S.
I was not bashing the city or the subway, just looking at things thru the eyes of a tourist.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I was not bashing the city or the subway, just looking at things thru the eyes of a tourist.
I'd agree for any tourist other than a native Londoner. Our tube (subway) system is complex and I was able to slip adjust to NYC's grid quite easily.

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
Zak,

Ok, you asked for it, my quick list of "Must-Eat" restaurants in NYC. This is just a quick brain dump, I may think of others later.

Real Expensive and Worth It: $100+ per person. My personal recommendation is to do the Tasting Menu, if offered.

Gramercy Tavern - 20th St & Park Ave.(my favorite high end restaurant in NY,)
Chanterelle - Downtown, west side.
L'Espinasse - Midtown. Warning, up to $150-$200 per person
Nobu - Downtown, west side. Close to the best Japanese in the City, definitely the best sushi
Sugiyama's - Midtown. Chef Sugiyama's signature restaurant. Try the Omakase (the chef picks what he wants to make for you)
Picholine - 64th, westside

Pretty Expensive $50-$100 PP

Blue Hill - Village, near Wash Square
Peter Lugers Steakhouse - In Brooklyn, just a short cab ride from downtown Manhattan. My favorite steak house. Warning, Cash Only.
Ben Benson's - 52nd & 6th Ave. Another Steakhouse, almost as good as Peter Luger's.
Union Pacific - 22nd & Park.

Not That Bad $25-$50 pp

Bar Pitti - Village (Best Veal Milanese in NY)
Pearl Oyster Bar - Village. MUST TRY the Lobster Roll. Expect to wait, only seats around 25.
Novita - 22nd & Park. Great small place for light Italian
Miracle Grill - East Village, 6th & 1st??? Great Southwestern.
Noho Star - Noho Lafayette & Bleeker

Less than $25.

Second Ave Deli - Village 10th & 2nd Ave. Best Kosher Deli, Great Pastrami, knishes, chopped liver, etc
Veselka - Village 9th & 2nd Ave. Great Ukranian Diner. Must try the pierogies
Nha Trang - Chinatown, on Baxter, south of Canal St. Absolute best Vietnamese in the City, must try the Crispy Squid with Garlic Sauce, BBQ Pork Chops, Salt & Pepper shrimp and bowl of Pho (noodle soup).
As someone said earlier, most of the places on Curry Lane (5th & 6th Streets between 1st & 2nd Ave) have good, cheap Indian food.
Soba-Ya - Village, 9th & 3rd. As authentic a Japanese noodle shop as you get in NY.
Acme Bar & Grill - Village, Great Jones St. Good Cajun/Tex
Great Jones Cafe - Village, Great Jones St. Good Cajun/Tex

OK, that's it for now....

Zak Solo

Agent
Wow, thanks a lot Stephen - I really appreciate the time.

I have 6 nights so I will pick one from each of the price levels. I will definitely try the Second Avenue Deli - can't beat a kosher salt beef on rye sandwich with a huge gherkin!

Anytime you are in London I can give you a list of some pretty nice restaurants and some ideas of some of the sites.

Once again thanks

Zak

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Zak:

I second Gramercy Taven and Nobu as good choices in the expensive zone. Union Pacific is also great, and I would have put it in the expensive zone (cost me more than $250 with wine for my girlfriend and I last time I was there a month ago, so be careful if you expect it to be cheaper than the expensive night).

Also, in that price zone, check out:

Aquavit - a scandinavian masterpiece, and probably my best meal ever. $100-150 / person.

One word of caution about these places - GET RESERVATIONS. NOW. Nobu requires at least 30 days as does Gramercy Taven most of the time.

Other places I like:

Aqua Grill - West village seafood paradise. Not terribly expensive (not cheap, either) and the best Oyster bar in town. ($50-75 / person).

Union Square Cafe - used to be amazing, still very good. American / continental cuisine. ($50-75 / person)

Pisces - East village seafood bargain. Great food at amazing prices ($15 / person).

Papaya King - Best. Hot Dogs. Ever. ($.50 / person)

L'Express - Park Ave & 20th St. 24 hour French Bistro. All I gotta say is: Steak frites at 3am ($30 / person).

Cosette - 32nd or 33rd St. between Park & Lex. Tiny little French restaurant with excellent food and an owner who knows his wines ($30 / person).

Waterfront Ale House - 30th & 2nd Ave. Yes, it's a pub, but they have one of the most creative chefs in town, about 10 non-menu specials a day, and a rotating beer tap that will no doubt make you weep. Also good if you're missing fish & chips with a good malt vinegar. ($20-40 / person depending on how much beer you drink)

Suginoko - 2nd ave and 38th. Great little Japanese restaurant where Tokyo ex-pats get their food. They even serve natto. ($30 / person)

StephenK

Stunt Coordinator
Zak,
No prob, thanks for the offer, I lived in London for 2 years but that was early 90's, things have probably changed. BTW, Josh is right about the prices, my prices DO NOT include wine. I usually do a whiskey or Martini and my G/F does the house Merlot so our liquor tab is not that high.
JoshF,
Wow, you know what Natto is huh? Is it as bad as they say? We had Aquavit on our list, and based on our similar tastes, I'll have to move it up to sooner rather than later. I'll be trying Pisces and Cosette too. Thx for the heads up. HT and good NY restaurants....we have some damned expensive habits ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks