What's new

Toshiba's "HDMI ERROR" (1 Viewer)

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David
I get this everytime I try playing SD DVDs. No such problems on HD DVD. Is this part of the firmware fix (I hope)??

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
You're not trying to upscale DVDs over component, are you? While the Toshiba will output 1080i over component for non-ICT discs, to get anything higher than 480i from a DVD you have to be running HDMI — it's a requirement of the DVD Forum.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Really not relevant to the problem, but as a point of information...

The Toshiba HD-A1 will upscale some SD DVD titles via component. I've seen this first hand on my system. While I cannot cite the specifics, I've read on AVS that the presence of Macrovision on the disc is the trigger for limiting Standard Definition DVDs to 480P. ( The Toshiba does not have a 480i output mode.)

- Walter.

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David
today:
downloaded frimware from Toshiba's site (I believe was 1.2).

Same problem: player will not play SDs at 1080 without "HDMI ERROR".

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
are you sure everything is set up right

i get that error sometimes when i turn on the player first.

not if i turn the tv on first.

you either have something set up wrong or a bad player.
take it back and exchange it.

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David
Thanks, I will try.

Just got off the phone with Toshiba customer service. Will have to 'send it in'.........gahh!!!!

Someone please get me a quick fix before I have to ship it out !:rolleyes

Bill Hunt

Insider
Strange. I'm not having this problem at all. I was having a lot of problems with my player skipping, freezing up and losing audio sync on HD titles, but all of these were fixed by the firmware upgrade. It sounds to me as if your player has a more serious issue that needs to be repaired.

Doesn't give you a lot of confidence in Toshiba, does it? My personal feeling is that both HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc are being rushed to market about a year too soon. There are still major bugs that haven't been worked out. HD-DVD isn't going to have its full interactive layer until next year, and I'm now hearing that Sony is having a helluva time getting dual-layer Blu-ray Discs to work properly (to hold longer films like Lawrence of Arabia, et al).

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David
Going to try and exchange it tomorrow at BB.

Fine picture on the HD but these other problems are driving me up the wall. Wish I never plunked down the cash in the first place.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just accidently created the hdmi error by accidently turning off the tv while sd dvd was playing.

Peter f

Stunt Coordinator
I must have the TV on AND the correct input for the player selected or I will get the HDMI error message. Latest firmware machine too...I just need to remember to get it to video 7...then turn the A1 on...no problems if I do that

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks