What's new

UBP X800 (1st Gen) Not Playing some 4K Discs (1 Viewer)

Scott Voth

Stunt Coordinator
I have 2 Sony UBP X800 (Gen 1) players and and am having problems with my first one not even recognizing some 4K discs but they play fine on the other player. I first noticed it with No Time To Die but in checking some of my other discs I found others too. Blurays play fine. The disc never starts reading and I eventually get an error that there is no disc in the tray or the disc is damaged. Is there anything I can try to salvage this player (I've already updated the firmware) or is it time for an new one? I see Sony has a UBP V800 V2 out there now - is that more reliable or would going with the more expensive Panasonic player ($500) with the good ratings be a better bet? One reason I originally went with the Sony was because it can play Audio DVDs which I have a few of.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Check with Sony. I just got a firmware update yesterday for my X700. It installed correctly. Maybe it will fix my Apocalypse Now problems.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
My X700 developed a problem where is the Dolby Vision was turned on it would not play any disc. I went so far as to purchase a new 4K player of a different brand which turned out to be defective. I hooked the X700 back up somewhat in defeat and then tried using the restore to original settings functions. All the problems went away. You might give that a try.

Scott Voth

Stunt Coordinator
Check with Sony. I just got a firmware update yesterday for my X700. It installed correctly. Maybe it will fix my Apocalypse Now problems.
I did install a firmware update but some discs still won't even spin up. I have another X800 V1 that is probably a year newer and everything that doesn't play on the older one works fine on the newer one. I see Sony just dropped the price on the X800 V2 so maybe i'll pick one up. Its about half the price of the Panasonic but anything I've ever bought from Panasonic and Technics has been pretty bulletproof. I can't say that about Sony.

Scott Voth

Stunt Coordinator
I replaced it with a Panasonic DP 820P. I figured I'd try a different brand and the reviews on this model were good although it is considerably more expensive. Initial impressions are it is of cheaper construction but in a rack who cares as long as it works as advertised. The picture looks great and it plays the disc that wouldn't play in my 800. The only thing I don't like is that it won't play DVD-A discs which I have a few of from my Acura TL days. I'm going to recycle the 800 to a bedroom setup but my best speakers are in my living room setup.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
I just replaced my X800 version 1 with the M2 in the living room home theater setup (moving the older one to the den which doesn’t have Dolby Vision capabilities), but since first installed so far I have never had the older unit freeze or skip. Too early to tell about the new one, but Total Recall (1990) played fine and on that particular title at least, I thought the DV enabling enhanced the experience with the garish color scheme (which is why I wanted to use this film as an initial trial run through). As with any electronic piece nowadays, it may be just luck of the draw for glitchy performance experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks