What's new

Toshiba Color Stream (1 Viewer)

Okay my mom just purchased this TV. At first I hooked up the DVD player w/component video to the TV w/the normal red,blue, and green holes on the back of the TV. The picture was all blue and I was baffled. After that, I tried hooking up my PS2 w/the component video. Now the picture was green colored. So we tried one last DVD player and it ended up being blue, just like the first one.

After doing some research I finally found out that the "Color Stream" option was only for "Color Stream" component video Toshiba DVD Players. If I wanted to take advantage of that, you needed a Toshiba Color Stream DVD player. This is what I have understood that is.

Now I looked in the manual and it only showed how to hook up the DVD player w/compnent video and a VCR, nothing about JUST the DVD player w/component video. Also, in the manual, they sure make "Color Stream" the same thing as Component video, but in actuality from what I have been haring, and it not working for me, I don't think it is. But anyways, I tried hooking up the DVD player and VCR like they said to in the manual in order to get the "Color Stream" playback w/the component video. In order to do this, you hook the component cables to the Color Stream inputs on the TV, then you hook up the normal yellow video out on the DVD player to the video in on the VCR, then the VCR video out to the TV Video 1 input. You then put it on Video 1 input and it should work. I did this w/out the sound. It is pretty complicated for just trying to get the component video playback. Now after I did all this, and put it on video 1, it was finally wokring ... with one problem....

Now comes in the problem of Macrovision. I had the DVD playing, but now macrovision messes the picture all up. Is there ANYWAY at ALL to get the component video to work straight up like any component video on a normal TV? I have component video on my Sony Wega 27", and I just plug in the cables and go to Video 4 and it works fine. Why would Toshiba make you *NEED* a color stream type dvd player? Am I missing something, or is there just a special way to hook up component video to the Toshiba TV? Please help! Thanks.

-Drew

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dwight Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Colorstream is Toshiba's marketing buzzword for component video. It is the EXACT same thing, just one more thing to confuse people.

Someone else should know, but it sounds like perhaps you are connecting the cables out of order. If not, then there may be a problem with the set/dvd player.

Hmmm okay it's the EXACT same thing? If that is the case, then the TV could have a problem. I Know for a fact though that I put the wires in the correct order and holes. I have hooked up a few tv's w/that same connection. And I have tested this out w/2 dvd players and 1 playstation 2. I'm gonna give toshiba a call tomorrow.

-Drew

Hmmm okay that is wierd. I will just give toshiba a call tomorrow. I know I hooked it correctly, and I even tried w/2 dvd players and a playstation 2. So I don't know whats up, but if anyone knows please help, thanks.

-Drew

Youssef

Stunt Coordinator
ya it seems like you have the cables connected improperly. make sure u match up the color of each cable to the input. i'm about 99% sure that the cables are not hooked up properly.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
A VCR should not be connected between the DVD player and the TV.
I am not sure whether Colorstream refers only to Toshiba's progressive scan. If so and the TV has no automatic or manual switch or menu selection for regular (interlaced) component video, a standard DVD player won't work.
Also...
You may have a defective cable. Also we cannot rule out defective circuitry or jacks in the DVD player or TV.
Try connecting just the green jack of the DVD player to the green jack of the TV. You should get a black and white picture. If not, see if the TV (and/or the DVD player) has a switch or menu selection for RGB as opposed to Y/Pb/Pr component video, and set them both to match. Then connect the red and blue cables.
Also see if the DVD player works OK connecting just the yellow jacks, directly to the TV (try the green cable first, if another cable gives almost the same results the cable is probably not at fault) and see if it works OK using S-video jacks directly to the TV. This will rule out defects in the circuitry deeper inside the DVD player and TV.
Other video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Sharon_v

Auditioning
We have the Toshiba with the "Color Stream" connections. Hooked the DVD directly to the TV with the component video cables - no problem. You may need to check your connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks