What's new

Toshiba 16x9 65" at Costco.com for $2800. what's wrong with this picture? (1 Viewer)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi!! I just talked to my dealer / friend. He says he can get one delivered to any where in the US for $3000. Email me at [email protected] if interested.
Gregg

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Anyone have the 65H80 in their shopping cart at the 2849 price? If so, plese let me know. They've upped the price to 3499.
mike.
------------------
Do It Right or Don't Do It at All®

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
This looks like a really nice setup. Sure wish I had the money to pick one up. Best Buy just raised their price on this to $3500. Looks like Costco is the place to pick one of these up.
How is the set by the way? I noticed that it is a High Def ready set. Has anyone seen it in action?
Parker

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Costco also sells the Toshiba TDP-S2 projector (same as InFocus LP-340) for $2500, which is a good price. In case anyone's interested.
/Mike

Gary Visser

Auditioning
Current price at:
Link Removed
is $2675. I purchased one from them in November 2000 and shipping from NY to CA was $350.
Although I have no issues with buying online, I would seriously consider buying locally due to the hassle of getting a TV of this size, 413 lbs, moved for warranty work.
Gary

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
For $3100 shipped from costco.com and if you need to return the TV you can take it to the local store, it's a damn good deal.
/Mike

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
quote:For $3100 shipped from costco.com and if you need to return the TV you can take it to the local store, it's a damn good deal.
i couldn't agree more. costco has an extremely liberal return policy to begin with, being able to return your internet purchase locally adds a lot of value. their shipping includes inside delivery as well.

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
Just FYI, Proactive now has the price at $2465.
Must resist. Must resist.
furious.gif
furious.gif

------------------
My DVD's

MichaelG

Second Unit
Hmmm, Proactive Electronics (found link from pricescan.com site, lists the 65H80 at $2465.00 + shipping. Has anyone ever dealt with them before?
Link Removed

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I don't see this listed on their web site anymore. Did they take it down?
What about the DLP projector? Has anyone seen this in action?
Parker

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
It seems like it's gone from the Costco website. I wonder if they sold out?
The DLP projector (Toshiba TDP-S2) is the same as the InFocus LP340. There are a few users of it here on this forum, I believe.
/Mike

Paul Kunze

Auditioning
Wow, I sold my Toshiba TW40X81 for $2500 last fall, and now I can buy a 65 for the same price. My father paid $4000 for his 56H80 last November, now he could almost buy two for the same price.
Is Toshiba's new H81 series going to be so much better or are these recent price drops just supply finally catching up with demand?
------------------

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,
I don't have any inside info, but from what I've read, the new H81's will only be minorly improved. However, I have read that they do 540p (which could be considered a major thing by some). Some other things I have read:
*'Short Wing' lens system (your guess is as good as mine)
* Touch Focus automatic convergence. Apparently, this works extremely well. All you have to do (when calibrating) is set up the geometry in one mode and you're all done. I guess this means that all the other modes are offsets of this one.
* Spherical Phosphors. According to the detail I have, phosphors used in regular tubes are all odd shapes, kind of like crystal shards. These new phosphors are round allowing them to pack them more densely. This all leads to a finer beam spot size without sacrificing tube life.
My main concern (I just ordered a 65H80) was that the price (of the new XXH81's) was going to be greatly reduced. It does not look like that will be the case, as the new 50H81 will supposedly list for $3999 in Canada (about $2700 USD). While that is definitely lower than the list price of the H80 series, it doesn't come close to the current street prices (

W

Will

Procrastination pays!
I would guess that prices have not stopped falling on
Toshiba RPTVs and prices in six months will be lower
than they are today, and prices in a year will be
lower still.
Another thread has the owner's manuals for the X81's.

John_Pech

Grip
There was a time when Toshiba was a very respected name in wide-screen televisions.
Now I'm not saying they still aren't, but nowhere near what they were just a couple of years ago, when most of these sets were sold by small mid to high-end dealers like the one I am employed with. They then had local service and support, and were generally a great product.
Since Toshiba sets have become more and more widely available to mass merchants like BB, CC, and online stores who are in the race to see who could offer the lowest price, Toshiba's quality control has gone way down hill, and will continue to get worse. (It's very hard to keep up with demand and still provide great quality and support)
With power supply problems, shorted crt tubes, the unavailability of parts to fix the problems, and lack of technical and sales support, we, and many stores like ours, are dumping the line, as we can no longer sell a product we have no faith in.
All I'm saying is, at any price, buyer beware.
JJP
------------------
I got two turntables and a microphone

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
John Pech sez........
There was a time when Toshiba was a very respected name in wide-screen televisions.
Now this is what I suspected. What about Pioneer, Hitachi, Mits?
I must say that (with few exceptions) I have literally never heard of anyone having trouble with a Toshiba TV.
------------------

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about that....look at the many threads of various problems plaguing all the Sonys. You don't see those regarding Toshiba. My 65H80 was just ISF calibrated; the ISF guy said he had just done a big new Mitsu and that it was nowhere near as good a set as the Tosh; he was able to make mine look way better than he could make the Mitsu look. He also said the line doubler was far superior.
.02 for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks