What's new

tbaio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
I do agree that the similarities between Ferngully & Avatar can be coincidential; absolutely. As for doubting that Cameron has seen Ferngully, I don't think that's impossible at all. Directors watch movies as well as make them. In fact, I think they watch more movies than the average movie fan does. They get their ideas from numerous sources (books, foreign movies, cartoons, documentaries, word of mouth, dreams, songs, real life experiences, etc). Cameron is a huge sci-fi fan & what better source to tell a sci-fi story than through drawings in either a comic book or a cartoon? It is very possible that he saw Ferngully. Also, he's in his mid 50's. When Ferngully came out (1992) he could have easily seen it.

I don't mean to make claims of a rip-off here, but there is no doubt (at least to me) that he was inspired by Dances With Wolves. And so was Edward Zwick for The Last Samurai. Again, it does not matter though because many directors/writers get their ideas from other movies. I loved both Cliffhanger & the first Under Siege which were clearly made because of Die Hard.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ok, when avatar came out my son who is now 22, said it was ferngully, the faries are the na'vid, there is the tree of life, the loggers are the army, really a lot of similarties,both are fox titles the bat (robin williams) could be the Sigourney Weaver role

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well imitation is the best form of flattery, if it gets people interested in a good family film or animation, i am happy, well it's not don bluth but it is still good for that time, but it always happens that way seven samurai/ magnificent seven

AlexS2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alexander
Id never even heard of Ferngully and I was a kid when it supposedly came out.

The Avatar comparison that is the most bunk is the Pocahontas one, as you can trace back the inspirations pretty clearly, like John Carter of Mars, and other Burroughs stories, and this is freely admitted by Cameron. In fact id say the clearest analogue that Cameron was aiming for with Avatar was a Burroughs type epic.

But hey, one of the first things that Cameron ever said about Avatar before showing even a single image of the film to the public was that the film was the melting pot of all the books and stories he absorbed throughout his life, but some people still seem to think they are clever by pointing out the movies inspirations. So, yeah, whatever helps the detractors feel superior, in the end it still won't change what an incredible cinematic feat the film is. Titanic went through the same bull as well, but in the end that changed nothing, to this day its still one of the most impressive productions of all time, the likes of which no other modern director could ever achieve.

tbaio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
I totally agree here again. No matter where the inspiration for the story came from, Avatar is a great movie period. And its one hell of an awesome Blu ray disc! I don't think the 3-D version is going to improve on (in my opinion) an already perfect reference quality disc. But, I guess we'll find out about that eventually.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The storyline to the animated sci-fi movie Battle for Terra (2007) has similarities to Avatar too -

Earthforces plan to terraform alien planet Terra (wink), human hero in sympathy with alien race, joins them to fight off Earth invaders.

tbaio

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
dana martin said:
, is a decent primer of what we could be seeing, lets see Hondo in 3D, all of the studios need to take this to heart, Hitchcock, Dial M, in 3D i say yes day one purchase, but if it was original shot flat, and is just a conversion to refresh the title, they can keep it,
Great wiki list of 3-D films; thanks for including that link for everyone. I hope the list of upcoming 3-D films for 2011 & on are up to par because they are going to determine the future of getting 3-D into consumer's homes for viewing.

Not to be a stickler here, but if you happen to come upon the blu ray for Friday the 13th Part 3-D at a good price, pick it up. Yes, you'll have to put up with the old blue & red glasses & the picture quality is overall bad, but the 3-D quality makes up for all the shortcomings. I can't stress enough at how surprized I was at the quality of the images. This is good stuff; & in addition, it can be shown to anyone with a regular blu ray player so those without a player made for 3-D can enjoy it as well. If you're able to see it, post a comment & let us know what you thought of it.

AlexS2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alexander
Well Avatar was written 13 years before that movie ever came out, the Avatar script even predates The Last Samurai. It just goes to show that the story trope is universal, and many, many people have fished from that pond, but in the end what matters is how these stories are executed and presented.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by AlexS2
Id never even heard of Ferngully and I was a kid when it supposedly came out.

The Avatar comparison that is the most bunk is the Pocahontas one, as you can trace back the inspirations pretty clearly, like John Carter of Mars, and other Burroughs stories, and this is freely admitted by Cameron. In fact id say the clearest analogue that Cameron was aiming for with Avatar was a Burroughs type epic.

But hey, one of the first things that Cameron ever said about Avatar before showing even a single image of the film to the public was that the film was the melting pot of all the books and stories he absorbed throughout his life, but some people still seem to think they are clever by pointing out the movies inspirations. So, yeah, whatever helps the detractors feel superior, in the end it still won't change what an incredible cinematic feat the film is. Titanic went through the same bull as well, but in the end that changed nothing, to this day its still one of the most impressive productions of all time, the likes of which no other modern director could ever achieve.
If I had an buck for every time I've read a review of a singer, an author, at poet, a playwright, a film maker detailing how they were influenced by the works of others, I'd be a rich man. Creative thought does not happen in a vacuum (except for maybe the first guy who created the shadow of his hand on a cave wall). It's one thing to dislike a film because it doesn't appeal to you, but to criticize it because another work of art already contains elements of the later film, I think that's bogus. Now if you think the earlier film did it better, that's different.

Frankly, I hope there are more films, or books, plays concerning one civilization raping another. It's a valid subject to pursue.

BTW, that guy Shakespeare was always borrowing plots.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I got around to watching Avatar on blu-ray last week. I must say that I found the writing typical of Cameron, in that all the characters talk with the same voice. Cameron has never been good at writing people who are unique, and everyone ends up sounding like a truck driver.

The digital animation and backgrounds were terribly unconvincing I thought. It felt like watching a Pixar movie and was particularly jarring when cutting back and forth with the live action. It probably would have been fine if everything were digital, but the live action makes the comparison pretty obvious

I also found the story line to be insulting to my intelligence.

Doug

AlexS2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alexander
Johnny Angell said:
If I had an buck for every time I've read a review of a singer, an author, at poet, a playwright, a film maker detailing how they were influenced by the works of others, I'd be a rich man. Creative thought does not happen in a vacuum (except for maybe the first guy who created the shadow of his hand on a cave wall). It's one thing to dislike a film because it doesn't appeal to you, but to criticize it because another work of art already contains elements of the later film, I think that's bogus. Now if you think the earlier film did it better, that's different.

Frankly, I hope there are more films, or books, plays concerning one civilization raping another. It's a valid subject to pursue.

BTW, that guy Shakespeare was always borrowing plots.
There are already countless movies of Alien empires raping our civilization, its only fair we finally turn the tables, heh

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Originally Posted by tbaio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by dana martin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by Chas in CT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[SIZE= 12px]Hey folks! Santa has an announcement to make, so listen up! There will be no House of Wax or Dial M for Murder or Kiss Me Kate waiting under the tree for you to enjoy on those expensive 3-D systems you invested in this year. No sir. Here's what you're getting, and you'd better by God like it...[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]Ye Olde Yule Log Now Blazes in 3-D[/SIZE]

By ALESSANDRA STANLEY

Published: December 23, 2010

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/24/arts/television/24yule.html

and that is what is wrong with the current trend in 3D entertainment, a continuous spate of stuff that really isn't watchable, or the rush to go in and do a post conversion that doesn't do any thing for the film, i know or have heard the rumblings of Lucas wanting to do this to star wars, hey George i want the original trilogy as originally shown first, OK, not the special editions, the original trilogy, hell all three cuts work.

now for what all the studios havent figured out, it's called catalog titles, the films that people have known for years, that were originally shot with 3D in mind, Creature From The Black Lagoon, House Of Wax, Dial M, Friday The 13th Part 3D, yes i know that one is out, but, its not in this new 3D format, The thing is IF all of the studios who are wanting to push this new and more expensive format along with the manufacturing industry, are really looking for this to work, along with the advancement of having this and not needing glasses in the future, well then it is going to need the titles that people are going to watch, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_film#The_.22golden_era.22_.281952.E2.80.931955.29 , is a decent primer of what we could be seeing, lets see Hondo in 3D, all of the studios need to take this to heart, Hitchcock, Dial M, in 3D i say yes day one purchase, but if it was original shot flat, and is just a conversion to refresh the title, they can keep it,

Great wiki list of 3-D films; thanks for including that link for everyone. I hope the list of upcoming 3-D films for 2011 & on are up to par because they are going to determine the future of getting 3-D into consumer's homes for viewing.

Not to be a stickler here, but if you happen to come upon the blu ray for Friday the 13th Part 3-D at a good price, pick it up. Yes, you'll have to put up with the old blue & red glasses & the picture quality is overall bad, but the 3-D quality makes up for all the shortcomings. I can't stress enough at how surprized I was at the quality of the images. This is good stuff; & in addition, it can be shown to anyone with a regular blu ray player so those without a player made for 3-D can enjoy it as well. If you're able to see it, post a comment & let us know what you thought of it.

Friday the 13th Part 3-D , i own it , and it is a fun watch, i wonder how it would look in the new 3D, because it was filmed with 3D in mind, same as my three stooges shorts, they are fun

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I'm surprised that many of you have bought into this 3-D fiasco. Didn't we learn from the HDDVD/BD war. You're spending your hard earned money for a few animated features and a few cable channels. Gos bless you that have the money to throw away. Do you really think that all the movies that haven't even been released onto DVD, will somehow be released as 3-D???

Me. I just installed an Epson 9500 UB PJ and a JKP Affinity Screen in my new HT and that will last me until I die.

Fool me once with HDDVD/BD...shame on you...fool me twice with 3-D...shame on me!!!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce /forum/thread/306751/htf-top-9-must-own-3d-titles/30#post_3765250

I got around to watching Avatar on blu-ray last week. I must say that I found the writing typical of Cameron, in that all the characters talk with the same voice. Cameron has never been good at writing people who are unique, and everyone ends up sounding like a truck driver.   The digital animation and backgrounds were terribly unconvincing I thought. It felt like watching a Pixar movie and was particularly jarring when cutting back and forth with the live action. It probably would have been fine if everything were digital, but the live action makes the comparison pretty obvious   I also found the story line to be insulting to my intelligence.   Doug
 Completely agree with this. I probably would have loved it if I had been 10 years old, but I found everything to be overwhelmingly simplistic and juvenile, same as I have most Cameron screenplays. He is a talented director, but a terrible writer. And anyone who doesn't think that Cameron has not liberally borrowed from other films for his entire career must surely be such the devoted fan that far be it from me to convince them otherwise.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by John Sparks
I'm surprised that many of you have bought into this 3-D fiasco. Didn't we learn from the HDDVD/BD war. You're spending your hard earned money for a few animated features and a few cable channels. Gos bless you that have the money to throw away. Do you really think that all the movies that haven't even been released onto DVD, will somehow be released as 3-D???

Me. I just installed an Epson 9500 UB PJ and a JKP Affinity Screen in my new HT and that will last me until I die.

Fool me once with HDDVD/BD...shame on you...fool me twice with 3-D...shame on me!!!

I don't see 3-D TVs really catching on either (at least not until there's alot more content and the cost of 3-D TVs drop) but your HD-DVD/Blu-ray analogy doesn't work at all. There's only one 3-D format so it's not like you run the risk of buying the losing format.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
TravisR said:
I don't see 3-D TVs really catching on either (at least not until there's alot more content and the cost of 3-D TVs drop) but your HD-DVD/Blu-ray analogy doesn't work at all. There's only one 3-D format so it's not like you run the risk of buying the losing format.
I guess that depends on how one looks at it, but at this point, 3D BD could very well become the losing format anyway (w/ no winning format to speak of)...

_Man_

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ManW_TheUncool

I guess that depends on how one looks at it, but at this point, 3D BD could very well become the losing format anyway (w/ no winning format to speak of)...
But the TV, player and discs would all still work perfectly fine in 2-D and the TV and player would still play all future TV broadcasts and Blu-rays.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Travis hit the nail on the head.

This isn't a "shame on you" format war.

This isn't a format competing with another for
dominance.

Everyone has the choice as to whether to buy
3D capable equipment or don't. If they do, nobody
loses because the format is backwards compatible.

Typically I have found that most people that
complain about 3D have not seen it. Those that
own 3D displays seem to really enjoy it.

Adoption has been slow, but so has been the
start of every single new format to date. Meanwhile,
Hollywood continues to release new 3D titles theatrically
each month with a promise of a Blu-ray release
next year. In other words, content will continue to
arrive.

Those complaining certain titles are not yet
available have a right to gripe, but how different
is this from when Blu-ray and DVD were new
formats and the studios were holding back on
titles waiting to see how well the technology adopted?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks